As the snow melts...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
...the trash reappears. Ugh. We lost a lot of snow today in the 50+ degree weather! Great except that all the trash that was thrown out of car windows a few months ago is now lying soggy on the lawn. Ugh.

That drives me crazy here too. And it's the locals driving around who throw the trash out their car windows. Complete bags of fast food trash, plastic bags, everything. I don't understand people who trash their own neighborhoods.....!
Riki

I get to pick up beer cans, greasy Mac trash (the only fast food in town), pop bottles, beer bottles......

That drives me crazy here too. And it's the locals driving around who throw the trash out their car windows. Complete bags of fast food trash, plastic bags, everything. I don't understand people who trash their own neighborhoods.....!
Riki.
Yup, that's what it is...fast food trash.

Our snow is melting too (boo hoo! suck for business) but the dog loves it because all the sticks she lost over the winter are re-emerging all over the lawns. It's like xmas for her!
Unfortunately, all the twigs and pinecones and branches that came down with every windstorm are also littering the lawns and it just looks so blech.
We've also found some melt-water in the ceiling fixture in the pantry. The light wasn't working so I asked hubby to change the bulb and he found the bowl-style light cover full of water. Yikes!

Our snow is melting too (boo hoo! suck for business) but the dog loves it because all the sticks she lost over the winter are re-emerging all over the lawns. It's like xmas for her!
Unfortunately, all the twigs and pinecones and branches that came down with every windstorm are also littering the lawns and it just looks so blech.
We've also found some melt-water in the ceiling fixture in the pantry. The light wasn't working so I asked hubby to change the bulb and he found the bowl-style light cover full of water. Yikes!.
Oh yeah, all the old sticks are there, too. We had a big wet patch on the wallpaper last week, right where the wall switch is for the living room. Yikes!

We've also found some melt-water in the ceiling fixture in the pantry. The light wasn't working so I asked hubby to change the bulb and he found the bowl-style light cover full of water. Yikes!.
Oh yeah, all the old sticks are there, too. We had a big wet patch on the wallpaper last week, right where the wall switch is for the living room. Yikes!
I have water streaks over the entrance door in the room at the top of the stairs. Have not had any big rains since the wind/rain storm that ripped the roof off our high school gym and crushed the FFA greenhouses so I do not know if it was just from that storm blowin' in the wind or BIG problems.
I am FINALLY going to get my bathroom this year!! It cannot need a roof now. Had a contractor in Thursday to give estimate on doing the floor and wrapping water lines - waiting for the estimate. Another is supposed to come Tuesday to get another estimate for comparrisons. Once I getteh floor done, our daughter will do the walls and ceiling with me. Do not laugh - she redid her apt, moving walls and all sorts of renovations and it is beautiful. She brought in electrician and plumber but did all the rest herself.

We had a small amount of water come in around a heating register in the ceiling in a guest room during the HUGE rains (tornado watch/warning) last weekend. The roofer supposedly fixed that when he replaced the flat roof on our second house. ugh. Those were driving rains so it could be some tiny little hole or something. I HATE annoying roof leaks!!!
angry_smile.gif
They can be really tough to pin down....

No trash to pick up here.. but we do have a winter's worth of labrador retreiver droppings to clean up :(
Also last year was a bumper crop for pine cones and they all came down this winter so there are more pine cones scattered around the yard now than all the other 10 years we've lived here put together. Not sure what the pine cone crop is a sign of, but something must have been different last year.

i gotta say,sometimes it's the little things that people do that gets to me. Throwing the trash out is something that is just infuriating to me. once when i was driving along, behind another car, we came to a red light. when the car in front of me stopped, the drivers door opened and a hand reached out & dumped, what appeared to be a big ol' filled ashtray. then the hand threw out various garbage & yup, you guessed it, fast food bags.the light turned green & off they went. it has occured to me that i should have been the bigger person & picked up the garbage but, well, hindsight... anyway, at the moment i was so stunned. this is one of those things that i will never be able to grasp the concept of why people think its no big deal to throw all the garbage out.

i gotta say,sometimes it's the little things that people do that gets to me. Throwing the trash out is something that is just infuriating to me. once when i was driving along, behind another car, we came to a red light. when the car in front of me stopped, the drivers door opened and a hand reached out & dumped, what appeared to be a big ol' filled ashtray. then the hand threw out various garbage & yup, you guessed it, fast food bags.the light turned green & off they went. it has occured to me that i should have been the bigger person & picked up the garbage but, well, hindsight... anyway, at the moment i was so stunned. this is one of those things that i will never be able to grasp the concept of why people think its no big deal to throw all the garbage out..
mollysmom said:
i gotta say,sometimes it's the little things that people do that gets to me. Throwing the trash out is something that is just infuriating to me. once when i was driving along, behind another car, we came to a red light. when the car in front of me stopped, the drivers door opened and a hand reached out & dumped, what appeared to be a big ol' filled ashtray. then the hand threw out various garbage & yup, you guessed it, fast food bags.the light turned green & off they went. it has occured to me that i should have been the bigger person & picked up the garbage but, well, hindsight... anyway, at the moment i was so stunned. this is one of those things that i will never be able to grasp the concept of why people think its no big deal to throw all the garbage out.
Because they are ignroant.

Listen, all it takes is for us each to have a small bag for collecting trash, when you go for a walk around your town or neighborhood or down your road bring it along, you can collect it pretty quick and it makes all the difference.
So what if someone else threw it there or someone's rubbish bin fell over in the wind - you live around there.
Same when we go walking/hiking anywhere - it is not much effort and you can really make an impact. I am not even saying a grocery store walmart type bag, just a lunch sack size. If there are two walking imagine how much that helps!
I am not an environmentalist, I am 100% conservationist.

No trash to pick up here.. but we do have a winter's worth of labrador retreiver droppings to clean up :(
Also last year was a bumper crop for pine cones and they all came down this winter so there are more pine cones scattered around the yard now than all the other 10 years we've lived here put together. Not sure what the pine cone crop is a sign of, but something must have been different last year..
swirt said:
Also last year was a bumper crop for pine cones and they all came down this winter so there are more pine cones scattered around the yard now than all the other 10 years we've lived here put together. Not sure what the pine cone crop is a sign of, but something must have been different last year.
Did you see the PBS Nova docu on the 50 year bamboo fruit crop and the rats? Every 50 years the bamboo produces a fruit similar to a pinecone (same thing in essence) and the rats who normally eat some of their young each year due to lack of food start multiplying like crazy - somehow they know. (India) Anyway, all other food crops are destroyed as the rats overpopulate and their brood continue to feed ravishly and the villagers starve to death.
The 50 yr bamboo dies and new bamboo replaces it from the fruit. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/3603_rats.html

Listen, all it takes is for us each to have a small bag for collecting trash, when you go for a walk around your town or neighborhood or down your road bring it along, you can collect it pretty quick and it makes all the difference.
So what if someone else threw it there or someone's rubbish bin fell over in the wind - you live around there.
Same when we go walking/hiking anywhere - it is not much effort and you can really make an impact. I am not even saying a grocery store walmart type bag, just a lunch sack size. If there are two walking imagine how much that helps!
I am not an environmentalist, I am 100% conservationist..
I'm always picking up after these yahoos that dump stuff on the City property adjacent to our house. grrrrrrrrrrr....

I am not an environmentalist, I am 100% conservationist..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I am not an environmentalist, I am 100% conservationist.
I do that around town, too. But we have trash cans on almost every block so it's easy.

I live in the northeast where we had a major ice storm in December. Thousands of limbs broke from the trees and littered the roads. My dh and I were able to move most of them from our property to the side of the road where the town will come to chip them (maybe? hopefully?). When they were covered with snow no one even noticed the huge white pile. But now that the snow has melted it's a holy eyesore! We've decided to wait until the end of March and if the town doesn't come by then we will do it ourselves. It really looks terrible with a 10' high X 100 ft. long pile of branches and sticks along our property. But, it's snowing right now so maybe they will be covered again for a while
regular_smile.gif
. You have to love this New England weather; 60 yesterday, snowing today!

I live in the northeast where we had a major ice storm in December. Thousands of limbs broke from the trees and littered the roads. My dh and I were able to move most of them from our property to the side of the road where the town will come to chip them (maybe? hopefully?). When they were covered with snow no one even noticed the huge white pile. But now that the snow has melted it's a holy eyesore! We've decided to wait until the end of March and if the town doesn't come by then we will do it ourselves. It really looks terrible with a 10' high X 100 ft. long pile of branches and sticks along our property. But, it's snowing right now so maybe they will be covered again for a while
regular_smile.gif
. You have to love this New England weather; 60 yesterday, snowing today!.
Did you mention where in New England because you're describing my weather!

regular_smile.gif
I'm in MA. Where are you?

regular_smile.gif
Country Girl said:
I'm in ME (northern MA, to hear the locals joke!)

regular_smile.gif
Country Girl said:
I'm in ME (northern MA, to hear the locals joke!)
We're practically neighbors!
regular_smile.gif
Isn't the weather grand!?

Back