Asking again for opinions on 'direct marketing'.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use Constant Contact, too. It's a nice service. There is a link on the inn's website for people to opt in themselves, or they can fill out a form and we will add them to the email list. They can opt out at any time. One thing that was found out, though, is that it is very time consuming to create the email the first (and possibly second and third) time. I like the feature that you can create them and schedule them to be sent at different times. That's helpful!

Signed up tonight and created my first email blast. Need to create the email list and then set it up to mail out on a particular day. Easy but not as easy as the video.
My one complaint was with the templates and not being able to find where to switch out the pix that the template comes with. It's easy in the video, but when I went to do it, the 'optional pix' buttons were not there. The directions say that the free trial is a complete package, so that's not the problem.
Then again, I couldn't figure out how to send an email to myself from my own guest management software, so take my problems with a grain of salt..
Cool, keep us posted on the results (and send one my way). This was with Constant Contact?
swirt said:
Cool, keep us posted on the results (and send one my way). This was with Constant Contact?
OK, first impressions with Constant Contact as a company...they CALLED me this morning and I have an account rep. He answered the questions I had about why the email wasn't doing what I wanted it to, walked me thru it online step by step, gave me his direct phone number and was totally helpful. This is the FREE period I'm in. If that's the service you get for FREE, I'm in. He explained how the mail gets viewed by the ISP and why the delivery rate is 98% (a heck of a lot better than my own rate at this point).
Right now, I'm very happy.
I believe they can also tell you who actually opens and reads ..we hope....your mail:) That would be a good thing too.

We use Constant Contact, too. It's a nice service. There is a link on the inn's website for people to opt in themselves, or they can fill out a form and we will add them to the email list. They can opt out at any time. One thing that was found out, though, is that it is very time consuming to create the email the first (and possibly second and third) time. I like the feature that you can create them and schedule them to be sent at different times. That's helpful!.
penelope said:
We use Constant Contact, too. It's a nice service. There is a link on the inn's website for people to opt in themselves, or they can fill out a form and we will add them to the email list. They can opt out at any time. One thing that was found out, though, is that it is very time consuming to create the email the first (and possibly second and third) time. I like the feature that you can create them and schedule them to be sent at different times. That's helpful!
So far? I've spent about 5-6 HOURS on the first email! BUT, that includes getting the list together which brought up all kinds of things I didn't know about my guest management software. Arrrrgh!
And then trying to be witty, compelling and all of that to get them to open the email. Still neeed a catchy subject line. Altho, I don't see where to change what's there already, which is OK, but not compelling.

Signed up tonight and created my first email blast. Need to create the email list and then set it up to mail out on a particular day. Easy but not as easy as the video.
My one complaint was with the templates and not being able to find where to switch out the pix that the template comes with. It's easy in the video, but when I went to do it, the 'optional pix' buttons were not there. The directions say that the free trial is a complete package, so that's not the problem.
Then again, I couldn't figure out how to send an email to myself from my own guest management software, so take my problems with a grain of salt..
swirt said:
OK, first impressions with Constant Contact as a company...they CALLED me this morning and I have an account rep. He answered the questions I had about why the email wasn't doing what I wanted it to, walked me thru it online step by step, gave me his direct phone number and was totally helpful. This is the FREE period I'm in. If that's the service you get for FREE, I'm in. He explained how the mail gets viewed by the ISP and why the delivery rate is 98% (a heck of a lot better than my own rate at this point).
Right now, I'm very happy.
I believe they can also tell you who actually opens and reads ..we hope....your mail:) That would be a good thing too.
catlady said:
Yes, there is a section where I can track what emails bounce, what gets opened, which links are clicked, etc. It sounds pretty good. I do know that on MY email on Outlook, pictures are blocked unless I click to allow pix and it does say they are blocked to prevent anyone identifying my computer.
I have only sent test emails thus far. I'm going to the marketing class tomorrow and I'll spiff it up when I get home. I'm planning on sending one email per month, that's it. With links to the blog and events calendar on my website. I don't want to annoy people.

Just tried to schedule delivery of my first email blast. You can only schedule the delivery HOUR of you are paying and I'm still on the free plan. So I have to remind myself to go in and send the email at the date & time that I determine will get the most response.
(BTW, stats show that the best day-time combo is Tues or Wed from 10 AM to 4 PM, in case you were wondering.)

Back