Asking same question again, hoping for actual dollar amounts.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will give you some ideas of rates later but first:
Have a contract with everything included and detailed out to the very last detail. There are many ways to do this, and it is trial and error until you find which way works best for YOU. If THEY are working directly with the caterer, make sure that YOU are included in that planning. This is YOUR business as it is YOUR home. If the caterer is going to bring everything and do clean-up, then YOU should charge a fee for use... This can be tricky as you are the one that can be 'left with the dirt' if the caterer does not do an adequate job cleaning. So you must have a cleaning deposit built in to your contract with the guest. If the rented space is clean (as you detail) their cleaning deposit is returned. You must also make it clear regarding set up. Many caterers and/or guests think they are free to move things around as they like.
We have found it easier on us to do our own set up. We discuss the arragement layouts in advance and they can choose from those only...no other movement PERIOD. (I had one photographer try taking down my hanging firns for the reunion shots...NO, you don't like them, rearrange your layout NOT my place. GRRR)
I do not know how Country Girl does it with her caterer, but ours (we have several to use, but stick mainly to one) has different price structure depending on who it is arranged with etc. If the caterer has quoted them a price, it may not (most likely does not) have a fee for the use put into that amount. This is something you should discuss with the caterer prior to recommending them to your guests.
I charge $150 for the first hour, $100 for each additional hour, with a 3 our min. This includes OUR set up/break down, if you allow the caterer or guest to do that, you may want to lower the hourly rate, but add time (limit it though) for them to do this and have a MUST be finished by.... Linens @$5e and dinnerware @ $7 place setting are additional. (remember that caterer will have use of your stove and entire kitchen, this charge includes this use)
NOTE: IF we hire wait staff they charge $20 per hour + gratuity..
The costs I was seeing on the caterer's site are why I think we'll end up doing the work ourselves (for a fee), or they will go out. If we do the work ourselves, we'll handle it like brekkie...we'll clear the tables, they can hang around as long as they want, but we'll clean the kitchen before we go to bed. I can set them up with coffee so we can leave them to their evening.
I seriously do not see any caterer wanting to do a full, plated dinner out of my kitchen. Which is why I think they'll have a buffet that they bring in already cooked.
I guess I'm more worried about the caterer damaging the kitchen because they're expecting a commercial-grade kitchen with big stove and ovens and fridge and they're going to get a dinky kitchen with apartment-size appliances!
I set up for brekkie in the morning, so, hopefully, they will not make a mess later on. I told them we would arrange the tables family-style so they could get everyone in.
This is why I told Gomez no discounts. The guests will be up all night with their celebration and we'll be cleaning up after it for awhile. He already told her there's a discount for booking the whole house.
Of course, the other part of this IS having a slow weekend completely booked.
Morticia said:
The costs I was seeing on the caterer's site are why I think we'll end up doing the work ourselves (for a fee), or they will go out. If we do the work ourselves, we'll handle it like brekkie...we'll clear the tables, they can hang around as long as they want, but we'll clean the kitchen before we go to bed. I can set them up with coffee so we can leave them to their evening.
I seriously do not see any caterer wanting to do a full, plated dinner out of my kitchen. Which is why I think they'll have a buffet that they bring in already cooked.
I guess I'm more worried about the caterer damaging the kitchen because they're expecting a commercial-grade kitchen with big stove and ovens and fridge and they're going to get a dinky kitchen with apartment-size appliances!
I set up for brekkie in the morning, so, hopefully, they will not make a mess later on. I told them we would arrange the tables family-style so they could get everyone in.
This is why I told Gomez no discounts. The guests will be up all night with their celebration and we'll be cleaning up after it for awhile. He already told her there's a discount for booking the whole house.
Do not leave it to chance that they will 'not make a mess later on' Believe me....HAVE a cut off time! If you end up doing the catering yourself as well as serving, you will be dead on your feet by evenings end and your feet will still be throbbing by the time the alarm blasts its terrible noise. If you left them to fend for themselves, there is no telling what mess your kitchen will be in. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT and stupid enough to do it again. I finally learned and do not bend...have a cut off time so YOU have time to have things in place to the next morning. Make it clear in BOLD in the contract. If they leave a mess after that time, they do not get their cleaning deposit back.
I remember you having trouble keeping individual guests out of your kitchen, just think what a whole group would be like.
Since Gomez already spoke with them about a discount, make sure your usage fee makes up for that. I give a discount for whole house bookings also but do charge a use fee if they plan any get-togethers on my property. Parties are extra, because they are extra work! When we have all room bookings they are done under contract with one person responsible and are made aware of extra fees for extra services. Some people think when they book all the rooms they get FULL use of your HOUSE like they get with a vacation rental, this thought needs to be axed on the very first discussion so they know where the line is drawn.

Have a contract with everything included and detailed out to the very last detail. There are many ways to do this, and it is trial and error until you find which way works best for YOU. If THEY are working directly with the caterer, make sure that YOU are included in that planning. This is YOUR business as it is YOUR home. If the caterer is going to bring everything and do clean-up, then YOU should charge a fee for use... This can be tricky as you are the one that can be 'left with the dirt' if the caterer does not do an adequate job cleaning. So you must have a cleaning deposit built in to your contract with the guest. If the rented space is clean (as you detail) their cleaning deposit is returned. You must also make it clear regarding set up. Many caterers and/or guests think they are free to move things around as they like.
We have found it easier on us to do our own set up. We discuss the arragement layouts in advance and they can choose from those only...no other movement PERIOD. (I had one photographer try taking down my hanging firns for the reunion shots...NO, you don't like them, rearrange your layout NOT my place. GRRR)
I do not know how Country Girl does it with her caterer, but ours (we have several to use, but stick mainly to one) has different price structure depending on who it is arranged with etc. If the caterer has quoted them a price, it may not (most likely does not) have a fee for the use put into that amount. This is something you should discuss with the caterer prior to recommending them to your guests.
I charge $150 for the first hour, $100 for each additional hour, with a 3 our min. This includes OUR set up/break down, if you allow the caterer or guest to do that, you may want to lower the hourly rate, but add time (limit it though) for them to do this and have a MUST be finished by.... Linens @$5e and dinnerware @ $7 place setting are additional. (remember that caterer will have use of your stove and entire kitchen, this charge includes this use)
Morticia said:
I don't think you need to worry about that. When we had our daughters wedding catered the venue had a small kitchen area with regular oven/fridge. They brought in all the food prepared in those plastic boxes to keep everything hot, I don't think they even used the oven.....
GeorgiaGirl said:
Morticia said:
I don't think you need to worry about that. When we had our daughters wedding catered the venue had a small kitchen area with regular oven/fridge. They brought in all the food prepared in those plastic boxes to keep everything hot, I don't think they even used the oven.....
GA, mine do the same although they do use the oven for small hors d'oeuvres that do not do well otherwise. When we first opened our kitchen was not much bigger than Morticia's (at least by what I saw in pics) and our caterer did fine, they were a little cramped but managed. Since we opened up our kitchen, they find things a little easier. One must remember that these caterers are use to coming to peoples homes for small events and are use to managing in regular kitchens.
I have done both buffet and plated dinners here and I do find that in the long run, plated dinners are easier for ME. There is no worries about running out of things due to big eyes and you have a little more control over timing as well as clean up.

Morticia said:
Do not leave it to chance that they will 'not make a mess later on' Believe me....HAVE a cut off time! If you end up doing the catering yourself as well as serving, you will be dead on your feet by evenings end and your feet will still be throbbing by the time the alarm blasts its terrible noise. If you left them to fend for themselves, there is no telling what mess your kitchen will be in. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT and stupid enough to do it again. I finally learned and do not bend...have a cut off time so YOU have time to have things in place to the next morning. Make it clear in BOLD in the contract. If they leave a mess after that time, they do not get their cleaning deposit back.
I remember you having trouble keeping individual guests out of your kitchen, just think what a whole group would be like.
Since Gomez already spoke with them about a discount, make sure your usage fee makes up for that. I give a discount for whole house bookings also but do charge a use fee if they plan any get-togethers on my property. Parties are extra, because they are extra work! When we have all room bookings they are done under contract with one person responsible and are made aware of extra fees for extra services. Some people think when they book all the rooms they get FULL use of your HOUSE like they get with a vacation rental, this thought needs to be axed on the very first discussion so they know where the line is drawn.
Gomez was very clear about the kitchen with HER, that doesn't mean everyone else won't take it into their heads that it's ok. This is why she's wanting the caterer.
I guess what I'm seeing as a problem, for me, is telling them they have to stop at a certain time. We don't do that with any other guests and I know a lot of them are sitting up til after midnight drinking & having snacks. They have all been decent about leaving all the trash on the counter where we can quickly clean it up in the morning.
I'll discuss with the caterer a cutoff time as I'm sure they don't want to be here all night, either.
I had planned to use the baby locks on all the cupboards and we do have a micro & fridge they can use.

Back