Asking same question again, hoping for actual dollar amounts.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
So, if you were going to charge guests for just the 'use of the space' for their catered get-together, what would you charge? I'm finding catering fees of around $10/person just for the 'service' side of it. This does not include the set-up, clean-up and trash hauling.
So, if someone was using your space, what would you charge for all the details: use of dinnerware, linens, flowers, clean-up, serving? Not 'rental of space' fees.
The guest is calling the caterer, assuming the caterer will be handling everything. I think she's going to be surprised at how much additional that is, especially if she wants a plated dinner and not a buffet. It would be far less to take everyone to a restaurant.
Personally, I would rather the caterer brings all of the dinnerware, linens, etc and does all the work.

Never mind, just read the thread about coming for dinner. Scratch this and we will keep suggesting they find a "garden" for their events. There are 100's of places here that rent out their gardens.
I too would like to know about space only. We have had quite a few ask about our garden.
Recently been asked about booking the whole house .. (hmm all 4 rooms) for a wedding. The rest of the email I just laughed at.
(They asked for a buffet style breakfast/lunch & dinner for 100 people). Not sure where or why they think we do all of this. But I had a good chuckle. We did reply that we would love for them to stay with us (well 8 of the 100) and suggested they find a "garden" for their party.
We have had the garden rental/use asked before but am thinking that ... why not? Looking forward to hearing the responces to Morticia's space rental question.

Sorry I'm not replying with a $ figure. Just a reminder about end time. Dinners can drag on and on and on... and then you have to clean everything up and get ready for breakie. I would be clear with the organizer that the party will have to move to the living room by X:00 to allow you and/or the caterer to do what needs doing.

When guests want to cater an event here we charge a $250.00 usage fee for up to 4 hours, with no more than 25 people. We also get a percentage from the caterer. The caterer brings all the linens, glasses, etc. We just provide the space. So far it has worked out well.

Sorry I'm not replying with a $ figure. Just a reminder about end time. Dinners can drag on and on and on... and then you have to clean everything up and get ready for breakie. I would be clear with the organizer that the party will have to move to the living room by X:00 to allow you and/or the caterer to do what needs doing..
Thanks! Never thought of that. Just figured the caterer would tell them how long they will be on hand. If caterer is doing clean-up they will have a deadline. But, if I'm doing it, good to think about having everyone up and moving so clean-up can occur.

When guests want to cater an event here we charge a $250.00 usage fee for up to 4 hours, with no more than 25 people. We also get a percentage from the caterer. The caterer brings all the linens, glasses, etc. We just provide the space. So far it has worked out well..
So, if they have the whole house rented there is still a 'service' fee for using the site? AND you get a kickback? Holy cow. And Gomez was giving a discount if they had a caterer do everything. There's so much to learn...

and...don't forget like I have learned - charge $$ an early fee and a late fee...that means you pay by the hour if you show up AHEAD of your booked time, AND if you are not out and done by the time you signed on the dotted line - to be gone.

I will give you some ideas of rates later but first:
Have a contract with everything included and detailed out to the very last detail. There are many ways to do this, and it is trial and error until you find which way works best for YOU. If THEY are working directly with the caterer, make sure that YOU are included in that planning. This is YOUR business as it is YOUR home. If the caterer is going to bring everything and do clean-up, then YOU should charge a fee for use... This can be tricky as you are the one that can be 'left with the dirt' if the caterer does not do an adequate job cleaning. So you must have a cleaning deposit built in to your contract with the guest. If the rented space is clean (as you detail) their cleaning deposit is returned. You must also make it clear regarding set up. Many caterers and/or guests think they are free to move things around as they like.
We have found it easier on us to do our own set up. We discuss the arragement layouts in advance and they can choose from those only...no other movement PERIOD. (I had one photographer try taking down my hanging firns for the reunion shots...NO, you don't like them, rearrange your layout NOT my place. GRRR)
I do not know how Country Girl does it with her caterer, but ours (we have several to use, but stick mainly to one) has different price structure depending on who it is arranged with etc. If the caterer has quoted them a price, it may not (most likely does not) have a fee for the use put into that amount. This is something you should discuss with the caterer prior to recommending them to your guests.
I charge $150 for the first hour, $100 for each additional hour, with a 3 our min. This includes OUR set up/break down, if you allow the caterer or guest to do that, you may want to lower the hourly rate, but add time (limit it though) for them to do this and have a MUST be finished by.... Linens @$5e and dinnerware @ $7 place setting are additional. (remember that caterer will have use of your stove and entire kitchen, this charge includes this use)
NOTE: IF we hire wait staff they charge $20 per hour + gratuity.

Have a contract with everything included and detailed out to the very last detail. There are many ways to do this, and it is trial and error until you find which way works best for YOU. If THEY are working directly with the caterer, make sure that YOU are included in that planning. This is YOUR business as it is YOUR home. If the caterer is going to bring everything and do clean-up, then YOU should charge a fee for use... This can be tricky as you are the one that can be 'left with the dirt' if the caterer does not do an adequate job cleaning. So you must have a cleaning deposit built in to your contract with the guest. If the rented space is clean (as you detail) their cleaning deposit is returned. You must also make it clear regarding set up. Many caterers and/or guests think they are free to move things around as they like.
We have found it easier on us to do our own set up. We discuss the arragement layouts in advance and they can choose from those only...no other movement PERIOD. (I had one photographer try taking down my hanging firns for the reunion shots...NO, you don't like them, rearrange your layout NOT my place. GRRR)
I do not know how Country Girl does it with her caterer, but ours (we have several to use, but stick mainly to one) has different price structure depending on who it is arranged with etc. If the caterer has quoted them a price, it may not (most likely does not) have a fee for the use put into that amount. This is something you should discuss with the caterer prior to recommending them to your guests.
I charge $150 for the first hour, $100 for each additional hour, with a 3 our min. This includes OUR set up/break down, if you allow the caterer or guest to do that, you may want to lower the hourly rate, but add time (limit it though) for them to do this and have a MUST be finished by.... Linens @$5e and dinnerware @ $7 place setting are additional. (remember that caterer will have use of your stove and entire kitchen, this charge includes this use)
NOTE: IF we hire wait staff they charge $20 per hour + gratuity..
The costs I was seeing on the caterer's site are why I think we'll end up doing the work ourselves (for a fee), or they will go out. If we do the work ourselves, we'll handle it like brekkie...we'll clear the tables, they can hang around as long as they want, but we'll clean the kitchen before we go to bed. I can set them up with coffee so we can leave them to their evening.
I seriously do not see any caterer wanting to do a full, plated dinner out of my kitchen. Which is why I think they'll have a buffet that they bring in already cooked.
I guess I'm more worried about the caterer damaging the kitchen because they're expecting a commercial-grade kitchen with big stove and ovens and fridge and they're going to get a dinky kitchen with apartment-size appliances!
I set up for brekkie in the morning, so, hopefully, they will not make a mess later on. I told them we would arrange the tables family-style so they could get everyone in.
This is why I told Gomez no discounts. The guests will be up all night with their celebration and we'll be cleaning up after it for awhile. He already told her there's a discount for booking the whole house.
Of course, the other part of this IS having a slow weekend completely booked.

The costs I was seeing on the caterer's site are why I think we'll end up doing the work ourselves (for a fee), or they will go out. If we do the work ourselves, we'll handle it like brekkie...we'll clear the tables, they can hang around as long as they want, but we'll clean the kitchen before we go to bed. I can set them up with coffee so we can leave them to their evening.
I seriously do not see any caterer wanting to do a full, plated dinner out of my kitchen. Which is why I think they'll have a buffet that they bring in already cooked.
I guess I'm more worried about the caterer damaging the kitchen because they're expecting a commercial-grade kitchen with big stove and ovens and fridge and they're going to get a dinky kitchen with apartment-size appliances!
I set up for brekkie in the morning, so, hopefully, they will not make a mess later on. I told them we would arrange the tables family-style so they could get everyone in.
This is why I told Gomez no discounts. The guests will be up all night with their celebration and we'll be cleaning up after it for awhile. He already told her there's a discount for booking the whole house.
Morticia said:
Which is certainly nothing to sneeze at.
Morticia, since you know the caterer they'd want to use, why don't you give them a call?
You can probably work out most of the logistics that way, including making sure they know that it's not a commercial kitchen, any site fees they might have in their contract for you, and whether they'd bring all their own supplies or need to rent yours.
Once you know what the caterer would like to do, it will be a lot easier for you to work up a contract that makes sense for you.

When guests want to cater an event here we charge a $250.00 usage fee for up to 4 hours, with no more than 25 people. We also get a percentage from the caterer. The caterer brings all the linens, glasses, etc. We just provide the space. So far it has worked out well..
So, if they have the whole house rented there is still a 'service' fee for using the site? AND you get a kickback? Holy cow. And Gomez was giving a discount if they had a caterer do everything. There's so much to learn...
Morticia said:
Yes, even if they've rented the whole house guests still pay a service fee for holding an event here.
I learned about the additional fee from the first caterer we used. Caterers build in an additional percentage and pass that $$ on to us. I suppose that by doing so they hope we will recommend them again. The caterer we use always does a really great and leaves the house immaculate.

Morticia said:
Morticia, since you know the caterer they'd want to use, why don't you give them a call?
You can probably work out most of the logistics that way, including making sure they know that it's not a commercial kitchen, any site fees they might have in their contract for you, and whether they'd bring all their own supplies or need to rent yours.
Once you know what the caterer would like to do, it will be a lot easier for you to work up a contract that makes sense for you.
Except she's not planning on hiring the caterer for a few more MONTHS. I gave her a couple of names, one is someone who's been here before.
She's been doing some research herself and liked the one I know, but still has not selected anyone and she wants to nail down our price first. I never figured it was going to be this much 'work' to just have them use the dining room and kitchen for a couple of hours!
They wanted to just make all of their own food but we can't allow them do that. I'm still suggesting they make a rez at a restaurant!
I need to call her back this week. She may just decide to cancel the whole thing if she deems it too expensive.

Morticia said:
Except she's not planning on hiring the caterer for a few more MONTHS. I gave her a couple of names, one is someone who's been here before.
She's been doing some research herself and liked the one I know, but still has not selected anyone and she wants to nail down our price first. I never figured it was going to be this much 'work' to just have them use the dining room and kitchen for a couple of hours!
They wanted to just make all of their own food but we can't allow them do that. I'm still suggesting they make a rez at a restaurant!
I need to call her back this week. She may just decide to cancel the whole thing if she deems it too expensive.
Changing gears a bit, wondering if there's a way to make it easier on you but still special and "relax at the inn" for them... what if they go out to a restaurant for dinner and come back to your place for a dessert buffet?
You could buy a selection of desserts from a local bakery rather than using a caterer. You would then do the set up and clean up yourself and charge accordingly for your time, the use of space, and the hard costs of the desserts.
This would keep caterers out of your kitchen, keep the serving relatively low-maintenance with a buffet, and yet it would still feel special for the guests and allow them a private celebration setting.

Morticia said:
Changing gears a bit, wondering if there's a way to make it easier on you but still special and "relax at the inn" for them... what if they go out to a restaurant for dinner and come back to your place for a dessert buffet?
You could buy a selection of desserts from a local bakery rather than using a caterer. You would then do the set up and clean up yourself and charge accordingly for your time, the use of space, and the hard costs of the desserts.
This would keep caterers out of your kitchen, keep the serving relatively low-maintenance with a buffet, and yet it would still feel special for the guests and allow them a private celebration setting.
That's sound like a great plan, happyjacks.
It sounds so much more relaxing to have desserts back at the inn after an evening out. Especially since there may be kids as part of the group.
I like it.

Story time
It was this past weekend - MLK Holiday weekend a couple years ago when we had a whole house booking of musicians from all over the country here for a weekend jam session together. We had the big power outtage and they thought I had turned the lights off on them to go to bed as it was into the wee am's.
For two days they stood outside our bedroom door on the porch and smoked cigars and spat, talking in loud voices. They took over the entire house, getting into drawers, anything they felt like... and one room was a very earthy couple who did not bathe nor wear antiperspirant, so the entire room reeked like a giant armpit, I had to throw away the sheet set and air the room for weeks (in the winter)...
Since it was our off season I gave them a nice discount, I would say generousely but it was not generous enough to them, they wanted more. The coordinator called afterward to book it again the next year but decided if WE were the lucky inn to host them then we had better give a hefty discount. What I gave was a good discount already. I told her point blank NO WAY. I had already decided never again and at that point the rates would have to have gone up substantially for them to ever step foot in here again.
So it was easy for me to just tell her no. She arrogantly said another inn would be glad to have them. I told her I was pleased.
Point of the story was anything other than a guest in a guest room gives them this sort of "entitlement" to the entire B&B. Obv certain people lack boundaries more than others - and egotistical recorded musicians might fall into that category.
I was looking forward to it pre their stay and while here I was a nervous wreck and had to be on my toes the entire time to meet their needs. Constantly. Not my cup of tea.
Any events we have had here required a handful of hosts/workers to just direct traffic. A small group who has someone in charge still cannot rope these people in.
Every single function I had year one about 25-50% of the guests arrived early - not 5 or 10 minutes, 30 to 60 minutes early. When you have just had guests check out and are cleaning up and prepping for an event - it does not work! When it takes 4 people to do an event, food costs, time and possible loss of bookings, how much are these events actually earning in the end? Not much. Plus they will not pay what it is worth - they will go to a local restaurant and pay $4 for pie and $3 for coffee after their meal, but will not pay it here, they will nickle and dime. One group was offended by the $3 coffee and dessert charge and said they will just bring their own then. Oh yeah? I charged them a plate fee. I have to do all the clean up and wash dishes etc.
So all that to say imo unless it is an elopement package or something "manageable" functions are not worth any hourly rate for this innkeeper. :)

We charge about the same that Country Girl Charges. We supply everything except the food. Is done Buffet Style. I have linens from my son's wedding. If the caterer supplies, he uses paper plates. The dishes were bought by the company that has used us a lot through the years. I use a variety of wineglasses and other clear footed glasses with tea lights in as the center piece, white table cloth. Looks great, easy to set. We have done this so many times that the set up just clicks together. Caterer brings food, buffet set up on kitchen counter, looks great. Counters totally cleared first. Time limit, because there are usually other guests here. Other guests are told ahead of time. Extra revenue helps the bottom line.

Morticia said:
This sounds like a keeper. I'll put it on the list for when I call her.

Morticia said:
I like your idea Happyjacks... I am going to put this into MY event planning... THANKS
NOTE to Morticia... STILL need a cut off point for guests to clear area so you can clean for morning.

Morticia said:
I don't think you need to worry about that. When we had our daughters wedding catered the venue had a small kitchen area with regular oven/fridge. They brought in all the food prepared in those plastic boxes to keep everything hot, I don't think they even used the oven.....

Back