Asparagus recipes for breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
I am racing out after check out to cut fresh asparagus...do any of you serve it for breakfast? If so, how do you serve it?

In a quiche. Mix up whatever quiche ingredients you would use and then lay the whole asparagus in a radiating pattern out from the center. We would also serve it as a side for omelets, sauted in olive oil, salt & pepper.

I was thinking quiche, do I need to precook the asp for a bit? or not?.
i wouldn't think you'd have to precoook considering how long a quiche bakes in the oven.... Although here is a recipe that says differently...
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Asparagus-Quiche/Detail.aspx and
here's one that doesn't: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/party-starters/spinach-and-asparagus-quiche-recipe/index.html
I guess if it is tender young and fresh, I would not pre cook. If a bit thicker perhaps a bit of a blanch to soften..just to be sure:)

I forgot about eggs bennie! I might give that a shot and I shall call tomorrow's meal "brunch"
chef.gif

The guests are all going to u-cut it today, I printed out directions, except one room who said oddly enough she tried it for the first time just yesterday (she is in her 40's). What is your guess if she liked it or not?

we have a "fiery" grilled asparagus. serve it with an aioli drizzle. use a couple of pieces as an edible garnish just draped over a slice of roulade, lemon garlic asparagus...

Asparagus is a great brekkie veg. Last weekend I served a roasted asparagus frittata. Use it as an omelet filling or as a 'raft' under a poached egg or two.
I always partly cook it first. Like many vegetables, raw asparagus has a lot of water in it which comes out when you cook it, which could make your quiche watery or cook unevenly. Just blanch in boiling water for a couple minutes then plunge in ice water to stop cooking, then drain well. Or roast or grill it first but not to the point of soft; it should still be fairly crisp.
Mmm mm mm! I love asparagus! I've got another month or so until mine will be ready to cut. Heck, the rhubarb is not even an inch out of the ground yet. :(

Asparagus is a great brekkie veg. Last weekend I served a roasted asparagus frittata. Use it as an omelet filling or as a 'raft' under a poached egg or two.
I always partly cook it first. Like many vegetables, raw asparagus has a lot of water in it which comes out when you cook it, which could make your quiche watery or cook unevenly. Just blanch in boiling water for a couple minutes then plunge in ice water to stop cooking, then drain well. Or roast or grill it first but not to the point of soft; it should still be fairly crisp.
Mmm mm mm! I love asparagus! I've got another month or so until mine will be ready to cut. Heck, the rhubarb is not even an inch out of the ground yet. :(.
happyjacks said:
Mmm mm mm! I love asparagus! I've got another month or so until mine will be ready to cut. Heck, the rhubarb is not even an inch out of the ground yet. :(
Thanks!
This is the purple haired asparagus. I can't wait til supper tonight! Not sure if I will leave any for the guests...I am a greedy asparagus fiend.

Mmm mm mm! I love asparagus! I've got another month or so until mine will be ready to cut. Heck, the rhubarb is not even an inch out of the ground yet. :(.
happyjacks said:
Thanks!
This is the purple haired asparagus. I can't wait til supper tonight! Not sure if I will leave any for the guests...I am a greedy asparagus fiend.
I personally LOVE asparagus. My guests here would want it deep fried and wrapped in bacon though :) Just had some guests that thought an herb & cheese frittata was pretty dang exotic. haha!

Actually, THAT is what I was thinking...frittata, not quiche.

light rub with chile infused oil- tumbled in juicy garlic and hawaiian salt- grilled on high hot grates turned once about 4 minutes total- should be crisp - cover lightly- cools to perfection serve at room temp with rolled slice of ham, sliced hard boiled egg and capers, a touch of sauce- goes on our continental plate with a bunch of other goodies.

light rub with chile infused oil- tumbled in juicy garlic and hawaiian salt- grilled on high hot grates turned once about 4 minutes total- should be crisp - cover lightly- cools to perfection serve at room temp with rolled slice of ham, sliced hard boiled egg and capers, a touch of sauce- goes on our continental plate with a bunch of other goodies..
Now, I would LOVE to serve that here but folks are looking for the Southern cooking :) I tell our guests that I do a "healthier" and more diverse version of traditional Southern cookin'. LOL! Paula Deen would not be proud of me since I don't use a pound of butter every morning.

light rub with chile infused oil- tumbled in juicy garlic and hawaiian salt- grilled on high hot grates turned once about 4 minutes total- should be crisp - cover lightly- cools to perfection serve at room temp with rolled slice of ham, sliced hard boiled egg and capers, a touch of sauce- goes on our continental plate with a bunch of other goodies..
Now, I would LOVE to serve that here but folks are looking for the Southern cooking :) I tell our guests that I do a "healthier" and more diverse version of traditional Southern cookin'. LOL! Paula Deen would not be proud of me since I don't use a pound of butter every morning.
Samster said:
Butter in hollandaise...there ya go! Insert butter into every meal. UGH!

Samster said:
Butter in hollandaise...there ya go! Insert butter into every meal. UGH!
I do use the butter...just not a POUND of it. lol!
regular_smile.gif

Back