Aspiring Innkeeper, starting research phase

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would.
I have four rooms. And this summer I have my stimulus girls helping out. I work a little harder when they first arrive, but it's worth it in the long run.
Sure. Why not?
=)
Kk..
I would too nd I have 3 rooms.

I started out to say what a great idea it is to volunteer at a local inn and ended up erasing it after I realized how unprepared we would be to have a volunteer. After adding the part about how you might have to pay them to allow you to volunteer, I was laughing out loud.
I still think it is a great idea, but it reminded me how important stability and routine are in operating a bed and breakfast. As we come to the end of year number 4, we have developed a core set of expectations that we no longer think about unless they are not met. The shampoo goes here, at this angle, facing that way, with the spout turned like this..
Ya know K....I have to agree.
I'm the first to suggest interning at an Inn prior to jumping into the field. And yet, a local gal contacted me about just that type of thing and I froze....after about a week of indecision, I told her she should contact our larger innmates in town (9 rooms). Since they actually NEED the help and do USE help, I thought they might be a better fit for her. So I guess I would amend my advice to read...."intern at a large Inn."
So many aspirings have dreams of buying a big money-making Inn, but have no idea of the stresses that come with a larger property with staff, etc....I think if you can handle interning or assistant innkeeping at a larger place, you can then certainly handle doing the same at a smaller place easily enough.
I think it all depends on what they are looking for. Interning at small as well as large gives a whole different perspective. THough a small place may not have the time nor desire to "mentor" and run their inn at the same time..they would have to give some compensation..as was stated previously. Small inns are run differently than the larger ones and their time is THEIR money.
catlady said:
I think it all depends on what they are looking for. Interning at small as well as large gives a whole different perspective. THough a small place may not have the time nor desire to "mentor" and run their inn at the same time..they would have to give some compensation..as was stated previously. Small inns are run differently than the larger ones and their time is THEIR money.
Do we know anyone who is willing to offer this up? I mean, I would not, innkeepers on this forum suggest that, but are THEY willing to allow a shadow or assistant/mentor? That is what aspiring classes, conferences and staying at a BnB is all about. IMO.
Joe Bloggs said:
catlady said:
Do we know anyone who is willing to offer this up? I mean, I would not, innkeepers on this forum suggest that, but are THEY willing to allow a shadow or assistant/mentor? That is what aspiring classes, conferences and staying at a BnB is all about. IMO.
I have, and I would. Mentoring is part of what I do. Last summer I had an aspiring innkeeper from a different state than where I'm located come and stay here and learn side by side with me for 2 1/2 months. I supplied room and board.

I started out to say what a great idea it is to volunteer at a local inn and ended up erasing it after I realized how unprepared we would be to have a volunteer. After adding the part about how you might have to pay them to allow you to volunteer, I was laughing out loud.
I still think it is a great idea, but it reminded me how important stability and routine are in operating a bed and breakfast. As we come to the end of year number 4, we have developed a core set of expectations that we no longer think about unless they are not met. The shampoo goes here, at this angle, facing that way, with the spout turned like this..
knkbnb said:
You would have to pay me to help out here, or I hire you and pay you. Period.
vocationvacations.com Test drive your dream job. [COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]http://vocationvacations.com/[/COLOR]
Joe Bloggs said:
knkbnb said:
You would have to pay me to help out here, or I hire you and pay you. Period.
vocationvacations.com Test drive your dream job. [COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]http://vocationvacations.com/[/COLOR]
I am also a vocation vacations mentor. Vocation Vacation is wonderful, but it's only 2 days. THAT is when you have to pay me! I get no benefit when it's only a couple days. On the other hand, if I had someone who wanted to volunteer their time for a specific period of time, then I'm willing to help them learn, and get some benefit of their labor over a longer period of time.

I'm the first to suggest interning at an Inn prior to jumping into the field. And yet, a local gal contacted me about just that type of thing and I froze....after about a week of indecision, I told her she should contact our larger innmates in town (9 rooms). Since they actually NEED the help and do USE help, I thought they might be a better fit for her. So I guess I would amend my advice to read...."intern at a large Inn."
So many aspirings have dreams of buying a big money-making Inn, but have no idea of the stresses that come with a larger property with staff, etc....I think if you can handle interning or assistant innkeeping at a larger place, you can then certainly handle doing the same at a smaller place easily enough.
Lake to Lake now has an aspiring program that lets inns around the state offer their inns to aspirings to shadow the innkeeper for a day or two. I did this and absolutly loved it. Made the small aspiring membership very worth while.
teeth_smile.gif
Maybe you could suggest this to the next person that comes looking for a mentor. The innkeeper I shadowed was very helpful and answered any and all questions I had and told me I could email her with questions on stuff at anytime.

Along the same lines, I have to say that I learned a TON from the innkeepers that I met and interviewed. There were 2-3 who gave me tours of their B&B's, complete with commentary about what they do and why. It was absolutely priceless to have the different perspectives (different sizes, different methods, different outlooks, different niches). Those innkeepers were fabulous and I soooo appreciated their time!
=)
Kk.

I would.
I have four rooms. And this summer I have my stimulus girls helping out. I work a little harder when they first arrive, but it's worth it in the long run.
Sure. Why not?
=)
Kk..
I would too nd I have 3 rooms.
You are my hero! You and several others have opened my eyes to other options (volunteering, etc). Thanks to all of you who mentor and take volunteers that willl work for free to get some hands on experience!

catlady said:
If one is really serious about innsitting I would go to that inn - I think it's in Virginia, it's a big one, where you pay to go for a week or two, I can't recall how long it is, and they train you and let you run the inn for a weekend or something as part of the training. My friend Linda and her husband did that before they opened Inn at Riverbend. They really learned a lot - I think there was a plumbing emergency during their weekend that they were running the inn!!! Talk about great training!!!
RIki
Riki

Back