Aspiring Innkeeper Symposium

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Bree,
Here is a link to the Conference Schedule. To me it looks fairly basic. Acctg. principles, Marketing & Web Tech(which is my business), Forms, etc.
If you could take a look at their itinerary, you may see something that I may be missing.
http://www.esbba.com/conference.shtml
Thanks again..
This is the usual stuff they cover. It can be really good depending on the speakers and how informed they are. This is one Stephanie should look at...it's her area.
Just understanding how to purchase a place can save you a bundle!
Bree said:
This is the usual stuff they cover. It can be really good depending on the speakers and how informed they are. This is one Stephanie should look at...it's her area.
I thought my ears were ringing this morning! Haha.
This one's been on my calendar, but what do you guys think--does it cut the value if we haven't decided what state we're going to buy in yet? NY is one of the finalists, but there are at least 2 other states that we're equally open to now. I was thinking that since the state assoc-run seminars are likely to be state-specific (which would be great if we ended up in NY but potentially misleading if we ended up somewhere else), so we should pick a state before attending the local seminar.
Hopefully we'll have a better idea by then. If it ends up being NY, then we'll see you there!
By the way, the B&B Team will be hosting a 3-day aspiring seminar in Maine at the end of October. It looks like they focus primarily on the purchase and financing of a B&B, since that's their biz, but it's much longer than the conference tack-on seminars.
IMHO, the B&B Team seminar will be good for you if you are pretty serious about buying in the next few years. Although Peter Scherman is mostly familiar with the purchase/financing process, his partner Rick Wolf ran a good-sized B&B operation for many years and it will be held at a B&B, where the innkeepers will also have some interaction with you. They had one at our inn last August and the topics covered were much more in-depth than you can get in a one-day seminar. That specific group - Peter and Rick - have experience in most of the areas you are looking as well - the southern mid-Atlantic as well as the New England area. You'll still want to check out a state association one when you have it narrowed down, but B&B team one will be a good one.
Thanks for the recommendations!
I'm trying to convince DH to take the time off work, but we'll see... No idea which B&B will be hosting yet, but I was hoping it'd be one of our Maine friends on the forum!
Oh!! Looks like they just posted the location while I was replying.
We attended their workshop held in Lambertville, NJ 2 years ago.... between that one and the one-day workshop that Kathleen did in Wheeling, we had lots of information about innkeeping. Highly recommend it!

Thanks Bree,
Here is a link to the Conference Schedule. To me it looks fairly basic. Acctg. principles, Marketing & Web Tech(which is my business), Forms, etc.
If you could take a look at their itinerary, you may see something that I may be missing.
http://www.esbba.com/conference.shtml
Thanks again..
Bree said:
I thought my ears were ringing this morning! Haha.
This one's been on my calendar, but what do you guys think--does it cut the value if we haven't decided what state we're going to buy in yet? NY is one of the finalists, but there are at least 2 other states that we're equally open to now. I was thinking that since the state assoc-run seminars are likely to be state-specific (which would be great if we ended up in NY but potentially misleading if we ended up somewhere else), so we should pick a state before attending the local seminar.
Hopefully we'll have a better idea by then. If it ends up being NY, then we'll see you there!
By the way, the B&B Team will be hosting a 3-day aspiring seminar in Maine at the end of October. It looks like they focus primarily on the purchase and financing of a B&B, since that's their biz, but it's much longer than the conference tack-on seminars.
IMHO, the B&B Team seminar will be good for you if you are pretty serious about buying in the next few years. Although Peter Scherman is mostly familiar with the purchase/financing process, his partner Rick Wolf ran a good-sized B&B operation for many years and it will be held at a B&B, where the innkeepers will also have some interaction with you. They had one at our inn last August and the topics covered were much more in-depth than you can get in a one-day seminar. That specific group - Peter and Rick - have experience in most of the areas you are looking as well - the southern mid-Atlantic as well as the New England area. You'll still want to check out a state association one when you have it narrowed down, but B&B team one will be a good one.
I agree. If you have issues about purchasing and financing..this is the seminar you WANT to attend. You will also get good advice on the innkeeper side and then when you actually find a place, take a course from the state association as then it will be specific ...hopefully...to the location you have chosen. tell Peter we sent you:)
catlady said:
tell Peter we sent you:)
What's funny is I did exactly that after a few people mentioned them on the other thread a couple weeks back. You try keeping a straight face when saying to a complete stranger: "I was referred to you by Catlady."
tounge_smile.gif

stephanie said:
You try keeping a straight face when saying to a complete stranger: "I was referred to you by Catlady."
tounge_smile.gif
LOL Well it is better than saying, "The Joker and the Riddler suggested I call." ;)

MABB will be having an Aspiring Innkeeper Seminar at our Conference in March. It looks as if the Conference will be in Lewisburg, WV March 9-10 with the Aspiring being Sunday, March 8. There is a possibility that I will be the trainer. Meanwhile, I would thoroughly recommend the B & B Team.

Back