Aspiring Innkeepers? DREAMERS!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
I had the most wonderful couple come and stay Sunday night. She said she has wanted to do a B&B for 20 years, but this was their first B&B stay(!) I only found out at checkout that they came to stay here because we are for sale, and she wanted to see it.
They have their eyes on a 11-room foreclosure in SW Michigan that's for sale for less than $500k. It's a massive place with an indoor pool and the whole deal. They presented a business plan to a few banks and were turned down. (Of course, the Inn is closed with no revenue being brought in).
I was shocked to discover that they not only wanted to reopen the place, but to also hold events there...WITH NO PLANS TO HIRE. She assumed they could do it all themselves. "I love to cook and clean, and my husband will help me out if I need it."
Sweet and wonderful people, but YIKES, I think I sort of deflated their lofty dreams by the time they left. But, they did leave a wonderful review, so I guess they still like me.

Little Blue said:
They have their eyes on a 11-room foreclosure in SW Michigan that's for sale for less than $500k. It's a massive place with an indoor pool and the whole deal. They presented a business plan to a few banks and were turned down. (Of course, the Inn is closed with no revenue being brought in).
I was shocked to discover that they not only wanted to reopen the place, but to also hold events there...WITH NO PLANS TO HIRE. She assumed they could do it all themselves. "I love to cook and clean, and my husband will help me out if I need it."
I hope they had stopped and looked very carefully at that place in SW MI. It was pretty run down a few years ago and I can't imagine it has been maintained very well since the foreclosure. And I personally hated the layout. We toured the place when it was still technically open with the aspriring class I took. The 40+ other B&B's in the area seem to have things covered, so there isn't really a need for another either.

There is a new restaurant about 15 miles from us. It is in the same place the last restaurant was to be a big hit and went bust, and the one before that, and the one before that. It is called "location" and although the food and atmosphere may be grand, it is just not a place I ever thought to go and out of sight out of mind, sort of thing.
So this new couple from the West moved out here and are opening up yet another new restaurant in this same spot, and this will be a winner, because?
Sometimes we have comments on the forum, like diamond in the rough...that if YOU bought it and threw your money and expertise at it, then it will be a success. There might be a reason some places are no longer B&B's. Oh there I go on that negative flow again...smiles everyone smiles!

Little Blue said:
I hope they had stopped and looked very carefully at that place in SW MI. It was pretty run down a few years ago and I can't imagine it has been maintained very well since the foreclosure. And I personally hated the layout. We toured the place when it was still technically open with the aspriring class I took. The 40+ other B&B's in the area seem to have things covered, so there isn't really a need for another either..
Cherry64
If they don't realize that they can't do 11 rooms (+weddings) by themeselves, I doubt they are clear-minded enough to think about the maintenance and mechanical needs of a place that size. Bob F. tried pretty hard to convince them that it was a screaming deal...his listing, so no suprise there.
How is your hunt going? Did you hear back about your interview?

There is a new restaurant about 15 miles from us. It is in the same place the last restaurant was to be a big hit and went bust, and the one before that, and the one before that. It is called "location" and although the food and atmosphere may be grand, it is just not a place I ever thought to go and out of sight out of mind, sort of thing.
So this new couple from the West moved out here and are opening up yet another new restaurant in this same spot, and this will be a winner, because?
Sometimes we have comments on the forum, like diamond in the rough...that if YOU bought it and threw your money and expertise at it, then it will be a success. There might be a reason some places are no longer B&B's. Oh there I go on that negative flow again...smiles everyone smiles!.
Joey, you're right in that some locations are just jinxed. We have a spot here in town that has seen three or four restaurants in it since we opened nearly seven years ago. Finally got a REALLY popular Italian place in there...always busy, reasonable and with great food. It burned down it's second summer. Now the lot has been cleared and sits there for sale.
Every town has a spot or two that's just cursed.

Little Blue said:
I hope they had stopped and looked very carefully at that place in SW MI. It was pretty run down a few years ago and I can't imagine it has been maintained very well since the foreclosure. And I personally hated the layout. We toured the place when it was still technically open with the aspriring class I took. The 40+ other B&B's in the area seem to have things covered, so there isn't really a need for another either..
Cherry64
If they don't realize that they can't do 11 rooms (+weddings) by themeselves, I doubt they are clear-minded enough to think about the maintenance and mechanical needs of a place that size. Bob F. tried pretty hard to convince them that it was a screaming deal...his listing, so no suprise there.
Little Blue said:
Cherry64
Thanks for asking, but we didn't get it.
sad_smile.gif
They picked someone local with actual experiance. But they really liked us and will keep us in mind if these people don't work out. So we are still hopeful even if it is not realistic. We are actually still thinking of moving up there to TC.....

So, you couldn't convince them to buy your place...start small(er)?! I am not up to date on all your past showings...what is happening?

When you sell what will you do? Buy a bigger b&b? Retire? Will you stay in the area or move?

When you sell what will you do? Buy a bigger b&b? Retire? Will you stay in the area or move?.
My goal is a multi-generational household near where the bulk of my family is located (about half an hour South of where we are now). Given what's happening with my family, I have to put them first, and the Inn just does not allow me to do that.

So, you couldn't convince them to buy your place...start small(er)?! I am not up to date on all your past showings...what is happening?.
Our Saturday showing is very interested, her broker called mine today to say that she loves it, nothing she did not like, and he would not be suprised to have an offer this week.
She seemed savvy and asked all the right questions about all the right things, and was not the beeyatch I was convinced she would be. Of all the lookers we've had (and we've had alot), she is the only one that is in a financial position to do it.
But, still, I say "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!" I will not hold my breath until it happens.

Sometimes we have comments on the forum, like diamond in the rough...that if YOU bought it and threw your money and expertise at it, then it will be a success. There might be a reason some places are no longer B&B's. Oh there I go on that negative flow again...smiles everyone smiles!.
Joey, you're right in that some locations are just jinxed. We have a spot here in town that has seen three or four restaurants in it since we opened nearly seven years ago. Finally got a REALLY popular Italian place in there...always busy, reasonable and with great food. It burned down it's second summer. Now the lot has been cleared and sits there for sale.
It's just that way. There is a place north of us that has had a multitude of failed enterprises despite improvements to parking building etc. Unfortunately, it is in a bit of a blind spot and the traffic is heavy enough to discourage left turns. It's funny how important these things are and yet they are often overlooked. I often recall how UPS saved millions by mapping out routes with no left turns.

It's just that way. There is a place north of us that has had a multitude of failed enterprises despite improvements to parking building etc. Unfortunately, it is in a bit of a blind spot and the traffic is heavy enough to discourage left turns. It's funny how important these things are and yet they are often overlooked. I often recall how UPS saved millions by mapping out routes with no left turns.
That is interesting. Most people turn right in cars when they enter a parking lot, and also on foot. Perhaps it has to do with reading from left to right in our culture as well. I lived over seas where I drove on the left side of the road and people were to walk on the left side (on a moving footpath or crosswalk in a city) people still were geared to go to the right. They had no turns allowed on red lights there, left or right.
(I get why UPS did it in this country but it is an interesting concept)

That is interesting. Most people turn right in cars when they enter a parking lot, and also on foot. Perhaps it has to do with reading from left to right in our culture as well. I lived over seas where I drove on the left side of the road and people were to walk on the left side (on a moving footpath or crosswalk in a city) people still were geared to go to the right. They had no turns allowed on red lights there, left or right.
We had the worst time overseas with getting the 'walking' right. I was always walking right into people.
A few miles from here it is impossible to make a left turn off the main drag. A coffee empire wanted to put it's stores on BOTH sides of the same street to get the north and south flowing traffic. We ended up with one US franchise and one Canadian franchise across the street from each other.
OK, so in Seattle this is normal, it is not normal here!
wink_smile.gif

We had the worst time overseas with getting the 'walking' right. I was always walking right into people.
A few miles from here it is impossible to make a left turn off the main drag. A coffee empire wanted to put it's stores on BOTH sides of the same street to get the north and south flowing traffic. We ended up with one US franchise and one Canadian franchise across the street from each other.
wink_smile.gif

Bree said:
wink_smile.gif
What Canadian coffee shop is across the street? Is it new, I don't remember seeing one.

wink_smile.gif

Bree said:
wink_smile.gif
What Canadian coffee shop is across the street? Is it new, I don't remember seeing one.
Fairly new. It's a Tim Horton's.

Back