Association Gift Certificates

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer

Reaction score
Several B & B state associations have used Certificheck on their state websites as their gift certificate program. This third party company is now out of business. I've seen some sites use Pay Pal, and some purchase directly through the association treasurer. If any innkeeper has experience with their state group; and love how they offer gift certificates to the public from their website, I'd be interested to learn about it. Thanks for your help

Oregon also handles everything inhouse. The order goes from the website to our AA. The purchaser is charged a small mailing/handling fee so that all OBBG (Oregon Bed and Breakfast Guild) members are required to accept the certificates and get reimbursed 100%. It's a great way to get all to participate and the consumer doesn't have to figure who takes them and who doesn't.

Virginia handles all of its own certificates. Purchases can be made directly on line. We have our own credit card processing. The order goes to our BBAV office for processing and certificates are mailed from the office. Simple and easy. We did not want to mess with things such as certi check and paypal:-(
Our members are reimbursed 100% and certificates never expire. ALL MEMBERS required to accept our certificates.

I just got an email about Certificheck closing. I'd never heard of them before. I don't take 3rd party GC's, only the ones purchased directly from me. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for a state organization to keep up with the GC program. Especially now, having to deal with consumers who cannot use GC's they purchased.

I just got an email about Certificheck closing. I'd never heard of them before. I don't take 3rd party GC's, only the ones purchased directly from me. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for a state organization to keep up with the GC program. Especially now, having to deal with consumers who cannot use GC's they purchased..
THat's why ours don't expire and they can be transferred as well. Most have given them as gifts in many cases, so someone is using them. THough I do have to say our numbers being purchased is declining. Could be from others out their pushing theirs..like bandb.com and also the economy.

I just got an email about Certificheck closing. I'd never heard of them before. I don't take 3rd party GC's, only the ones purchased directly from me. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for a state organization to keep up with the GC program. Especially now, having to deal with consumers who cannot use GC's they purchased..
THat's why ours don't expire and they can be transferred as well. Most have given them as gifts in many cases, so someone is using them. THough I do have to say our numbers being purchased is declining. Could be from others out their pushing theirs..like bandb.com and also the economy.
catlady said:
I think a lot of people are leery of GC's at the moment. Stores are closing left and right and that GC money is gone, gone, gone. In a lot of cases, even if the store is still in existance, it may no longer be near where you live (I'm thinking of restaurants where you can't order online with the GC).

I have been wondering what the bandb.com experience was with sales of gift cards at the end of 2008. Most of those sales happen in December, I imagine. That could tell you whether the more generic gift cards are stealing market share from the association gift cards or if the amount of gc sales overall went down.

I have been wondering what the bandb.com experience was with sales of gift cards at the end of 2008. Most of those sales happen in December, I imagine. That could tell you whether the more generic gift cards are stealing market share from the association gift cards or if the amount of gc sales overall went down.
I think we had a decline in GC sold last year. Only a couple compared with previous years. But those were the end of year ones, we had a nice bit of biz during the year.

My dh's company used Gift Certifichecks as bonus and incentives... our Chamber of Commerce was a distributor and many businesses in town took them, including us although no one ever brought one here. One of his co-workers is stuck with $350 in bad checks. She was planning to use it for groceries... hopefully she'll mail it in and get some money, but she's not holding her breath on that one. She says Wal-Mart is out a bunch of money since they had quite a few which had been redeemed but not yet submitted.
It was not a good blow for our already economically battered little town... made the front page news when it happened.
=/
Kk.

My dh's company used Gift Certifichecks as bonus and incentives... our Chamber of Commerce was a distributor and many businesses in town took them, including us although no one ever brought one here. One of his co-workers is stuck with $350 in bad checks. She was planning to use it for groceries... hopefully she'll mail it in and get some money, but she's not holding her breath on that one. She says Wal-Mart is out a bunch of money since they had quite a few which had been redeemed but not yet submitted.
It was not a good blow for our already economically battered little town... made the front page news when it happened.
=/
Kk..
I saved the letter in case anyone tries to use them here. I can show them the company went out of business.

=/
Kk..
I saved the letter in case anyone tries to use them here. I can show them the company went out of business.
Good idea.

Back