Assuming goodwill

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[h3]Assuming goodwill [/h3] Productivity comes from interactivity and the exchange of ideas and talents.
People are happiest when they're encouraged and trusted.
An airport functions far better when we don't strip search passengers. Tiffany's may post guards at the door, but the salespeople are happy to let you hold priceless jewels. Art museums let you stand close enough to paintings to see them. Restaurants don't charge you until after you eat.
Compare this environment of trust with the world that Paypal has to live in. Every day, thousands of mobsters in various parts of the world sit down intent on scamming the company out of millions of dollars. If the site makes one mistake, permits just one security hole to linger, they're going to be taken for a fortune. As a result, the company isn't just paranoid--they know that people really are out to get them.
This is the fork in the road that just about all of us face, whether as individuals or organizations. We have to make an assumption about whether people are going to steal our ideas, break their promises, void their contracts and steal from us, or perhaps, that people are basically honest, trustworthy and generous. It's very hard to have both postures simultaneously. I have no idea how those pistol-packing guys in the movies ever get a good night's sleep.
In just about every industry (except electronic money transfer, apparently), assuming goodwill is not only more productive, it's also likely to be an accurate forecast.
Trust pays.
From Sethsblog

So DON'T take deposits? (Have to look at everything from my working POV.) You know we let strangers into the house and hope for the best. We leave the good china out where they can see it. Our art collections (and other collections) are everywhere and admired.
I think we all do a fine job of trusting, but being prepared. And it seems to work 99% of the time.
"Trust, but tie your camel."

I'll always take deposits, but you know, trust is a two-way street. If guests are choosing us sight unseen from a listing or web search, then giving us their credit card numbers, they are trusting that they will receive what was promised.
It all boils down to "Do unto others..."

I'll always take deposits, but you know, trust is a two-way street. If guests are choosing us sight unseen from a listing or web search, then giving us their credit card numbers, they are trusting that they will receive what was promised.
It all boils down to "Do unto others...".
It is a bit amazing that they give over their cc info so easily, isn't it?

Everything I do, buy or commit to, I pay for up front or put down a deposit. It seems to be accept business practice and I'm not offended at all when a B&B asks for a deposit.
When I book condos at the beach, I always have to pay in FULL 2 weeeks before arrival. I don't think twice about it.

Great post. I just had someone try and goof me and it wreaked my mood for 2 days. I could not believe he would do something like that. Luckily in my world, it is a rare thing.

Back