At Least No One Was a Vegan!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
Well the house clears out today! I am ready. They came because I e-mail an old guy who grew up here who tells everyone I am here. I e-mail news about town to him and he forwards it to all his "list". The oldest of this group (and the reason they were all here) was the old guy's Mother died at 96 and they were here for the funeral. Catering to their diet needs has paid off. Last night they booked 2 rooms for 4 nights for a wedding/family reunion July/August. When she first said July I was afraid it was during MountainFest - it is not.
Yesterday, Dad got oatmeal with blueberries and Splenda brown sugar (diabetic who will not eat eggs). Granddaughter got a gluten-free homemade bread to go with her sour cream/chives/fat-free cheddar egg bake while eferyone else had (including the old guy) English muffin bread. (Yes, they asked the most asked question - can we have the rest of our bread?) Since son cannot have seeds, he had a separate fruit bowl.
Today, I made baked pineapple toast with homemade white bread for everyone except granddaighter - hers had gluetn-free bread. The muffins this morning were not quite up to par - I was improvising and they were a bit too moist - BUT they ate them! I "shaved" strawberries for the son so he could have some.
A MOST satisfying outcome. And the reporter got to see what it was like to deal with varied diet needs!

That's great. Your back must hurt from all that bending over backwards. Well done.

I have a veggie and a diabetic this morning. I can handle that. Anything else they better be paying BIG BUCKS for me to cater the entire meal to their needs. Restaurants won't even let you alter their menus "NOSUSBTITUTIONS" Maybe I need to put THAT on the chalkboard in the dining room?
K, I hope you didn't give the impression to your writer that we all do specialty catered meals for guests? That most of us can handle what I described line 1 bu t do not do the rest? If she is still there, let her know from this innkeeper.
chef.gif
I got oohs and ahhs three times this week - that is good enough for me.

I have a veggie and a diabetic this morning. I can handle that. Anything else they better be paying BIG BUCKS for me to cater the entire meal to their needs. Restaurants won't even let you alter their menus "NOSUSBTITUTIONS" Maybe I need to put THAT on the chalkboard in the dining room?
K, I hope you didn't give the impression to your writer that we all do specialty catered meals for guests? That most of us can handle what I described line 1 bu t do not do the rest? If she is still there, let her know from this innkeeper.
chef.gif
I got oohs and ahhs three times this week - that is good enough for me..
She left yesterday. You are safe - I told her each inn is different, using the policies that are comfortable to each innkeeper. I even told her how this lazy-butt manages to keep from climbing the stairs with stay-overs: Do you need maid service? She was impressed with it but said she actually likes cleaning (must be nuts!) so we may have a future innkeeper...... She got her intro dealing with enough diet needs....

chef.gif
She left yesterday. You are safe - I told her each inn is different, using the policies that are comfortable to each innkeeper. I even told her how this lazy-butt manages to keep from climbing the stairs with stay-overs: Do you need maid service? She was impressed with it but said she actually likes cleaning (must be nuts!) so we may have a future innkeeper...... She got her intro dealing with enough diet needs....
We alway ask when checking gests in if they have any dietary restrictions. Never fails, at least once a month someone who has said that they don't have any dietary restrictions overnight becomes a veitarian, vegan, lactose intolerant, etc. It pays to keep some basic food items and soy milk on hand to quikly accomodate the quests new reqirements...happy guests lead to referrals.

chef.gif
We alway ask when checking gests in if they have any dietary restrictions. Never fails, at least once a month someone who has said that they don't have any dietary restrictions overnight becomes a veitarian, vegan, lactose intolerant, etc. It pays to keep some basic food items and soy milk on hand to quikly accomodate the quests new reqirements...happy guests lead to referrals.
I alweays ask not only about restrictions but also about food dislikes when TAKING the reservation. Mama said diabetic as she made the rez for her room. Then I left for a Conference and she called back & told DH they needed a second room. Then at breakfast she told me granddaughter was coming - and THEN thought to tell me she was gluten-free. It was for one night and I always have the assortment of gluten-free flours on hand. When I all but used up my supply of brown rice flour I was not too concerned because it was one night. THEN I find out she is staying over and I need to make another loaf of bread and some muffins. I used a little of this one (soy) and a little of that one (chickpea) and some of that (potato starch) and some of that (tapioca flour) and added in some barley flour I had.... The bread was good but the muffins had a bit too much banana I think because they did not bake "done". She took them ALL though!

Hey Kathleen..could you share your gluten free bread recipe? Have someone coming in in July that is gluten free

Hey Kathleen..could you share your gluten free bread recipe? Have someone coming in in July that is gluten free.
Your best bet is to go to www.celiac.com which is where I got my recipes. Find one that is a fit for you. I buy the necessary flours at Kroger or you will find them in a health food store I would think. There is probably something in Beckley but in Charleston for sure. If you were in Morgantown for some reason, the Mountain People's Mart has all of it.

Back