Attitude is everything

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[h3]
"The only disability in life is a bad attitude." -Scott Hamilton[/h3]
Two kids, Two Different Attitudes
My youngest daughter was helping me with breakfast last week for three days.
My oldest daughter is helping full time at the B&B now, but was not here for those days. She usually does what I ask her, some or most of the time, some of the time incorrectly. She has no attention to detail, I have to redo a lot. I get frustrated, a lot. She tries, some or most of the time. Many times when I get frustrated it is because she is trying to help, and it backfires.
My youngest daughter does not try as much, only when she has to. She tries in areas she cares about, but not when I ask. Does not wish to do what is told. Needs to be told over again. Has a bad attitude if told she did it incorrectly, or asked why she did it that way.
Both CAN have bad attitudes, like we all can. Like I do, some of the time.
I asked DH which is worse, one who tries and cannot do it right, but does what it asked, for the most part, or one who doesn't do what is asked, and has an attitude?
Therefore the quote at the top, which was his answer, and mine. Attitude really does make all the difference!
HOW IS YOUR ATTITUDE AFFECTING THOSE AROUND YOU TODAY?
Answer for me, I would rather have one who tries and fails with a good attitude, than one who can accomplish something with a bad attitude. It infects what I do like having a bad head cold, it clouds my thinking, and stops me in my tracks.
regular_smile.gif

Well said! Very true.
Let's hope bad attitudes can improve with time.

I have 4 daughters (28,33,39,46 ages) None are interested in my B&B but all went to college and have careers. Count your blessings that you have 2 daughters with possibilities to grow with the B&B and you. As the girls mature in early twenties they seem to realize mom is not so nerdy anymore (even thought your still the same person). Time does change all :)

So, MY attitude was impacting everything this morning! In a panic! Tried to be cool but a guest asked what was new and I blurted out that I'd erased our website last night and was hoping it could be restored.
Because I was in panic mode I did not try to fix it myself but called & emailed user support at my host and they took care of it while I was serving breakfast. (EN was on my support team as well!) In this case, not being able to attend to guests and the website at the same time, I let the experts handle things and it went a lot better than what I would have done left to my own devices.
If I had to choose? Right now? Surly attitude but gets the job done right. (Not that anyone was surly to me. But I would have taken surly if it got the website back right and right away.)
Given I have housekeepers who are mostly pleasant but need to followed around? Working with them everyday I would rather pleasant person who tries than person with attitude.

I have 4 daughters (28,33,39,46 ages) None are interested in my B&B but all went to college and have careers. Count your blessings that you have 2 daughters with possibilities to grow with the B&B and you. As the girls mature in early twenties they seem to realize mom is not so nerdy anymore (even thought your still the same person). Time does change all :).
Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage said:
As the girls mature in early twenties they seem to realize mom is not so nerdy anymore (even thought your still the same person). Time does change all :)
Best letter I ever received from my son was the one where he thanked me for being so hard on him and let me know he had NO idea how difficult raising him had been. Said he realized that I was a lot smarter than he ever thought. (He still thinks that so it's a good thing!)

Negative feeds negative. I fight it all the time with my DH. I find it seeps into me and periodically I have to pull myself back from it.
I did have a sort of epiphany at the beginning of this year about my own attitude. I have a dear friend who is also an innkeeper. It's easy to tell her all my complaints, especially with DH. In January, I decided that I would no longer complain to her about my DH because it's like a married couple who one spouse always tells their family the bad stuff in the marriage and the family then can only see the bad in the spouse because they're not getting all the good that goes with it. It's helped my attitude quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, DH and I are great together, but when you're working/living/rarely playing together it can be a bit much sometimes!
To answer your question JB, I'd rather have the good attitude with someone who tries and fails.
When I read about your daughter who doesn't try as much, it sort of hit home. Have you ever thought that maybe she's a perfectionist and just doesn't want to fail? Just a thought.

That's great advice! I have a 3 kids 11 and 5. I'm just starting to get a little help from the 11 year old. It's a fight to get it. But it's nice when we are all working together! Those times are special.

Negative feeds negative. I fight it all the time with my DH. I find it seeps into me and periodically I have to pull myself back from it.
I did have a sort of epiphany at the beginning of this year about my own attitude. I have a dear friend who is also an innkeeper. It's easy to tell her all my complaints, especially with DH. In January, I decided that I would no longer complain to her about my DH because it's like a married couple who one spouse always tells their family the bad stuff in the marriage and the family then can only see the bad in the spouse because they're not getting all the good that goes with it. It's helped my attitude quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, DH and I are great together, but when you're working/living/rarely playing together it can be a bit much sometimes!
To answer your question JB, I'd rather have the good attitude with someone who tries and fails.
When I read about your daughter who doesn't try as much, it sort of hit home. Have you ever thought that maybe she's a perfectionist and just doesn't want to fail? Just a thought..
We have a deal DH and I that we always present a united front to outsiders be it guests or family or whatever even if we think the other is a nutsack - we do not argue in public or if he tries to the trouble he will be in when we get home will be volcanic!. This is because my father spent my entire young life making embarrassing scenes all over so I will not stand for it at all (in one incident he nearly got arrested in a bank over providing proof of id when he'd brought the incorrect documents due to not following their explicit instructions)

I would prefer the one with effort to assist me. But I know the no effort w/attitude very well, you describe my baby sister. What she did was read my Mom very well and knew her breaking point. Mom always caved instead of pushing her to complete the task the right way (the way Mom wanted, not the way B. sis wanted). Mom learned over time to let her have some say as to how to do some things, yet others were Mom's way or else and the attitude would come into play & Mom would cave and either do it herself or one of the 2 of us had to complete.
Baby Sis (now in her late 40's) is still the same way, bucking the system at every turn and copping an attitude that gets her no where!

I only used that as an example, I could use one about my mom too. haha Not talking about kids, talking about BAD ATTITUDES really. I used a story as a visual to get the idea started... I thought the quote was amazing, and true.
The idea behind it is one who has disabilities can go further and be greater than one who does not, it's all about attitude.
Scott Hamilton spoke it.

I would prefer the one with effort to assist me. But I know the no effort w/attitude very well, you describe my baby sister. What she did was read my Mom very well and knew her breaking point. Mom always caved instead of pushing her to complete the task the right way (the way Mom wanted, not the way B. sis wanted). Mom learned over time to let her have some say as to how to do some things, yet others were Mom's way or else and the attitude would come into play & Mom would cave and either do it herself or one of the 2 of us had to complete.
Baby Sis (now in her late 40's) is still the same way, bucking the system at every turn and copping an attitude that gets her no where!.
My favorite photo of my soon-to-bee 7 year old grandson when he was 2. His Dad is holding him and the look on the kid's face screams ATTITUDE - not good or bad - just a sort of "I have what it takes and I know it" look. He is such a sweet kid today, very proud of being a big brother to an almost one year old.

Joey Bloggs said:
[h3]
"The only disability in life is a bad attitude." -Scott Hamilton[/h3]
Two kids, Two Different Attitudes
My youngest daughter was helping me with breakfast last week for three days.
My oldest daughter is helping full time at the B&B now, but was not here for those days. She usually does what I ask her, some or most of the time, some of the time incorrectly. She has no attention to detail, I have to redo a lot. I get frustrated, a lot. She tries, some or most of the time. Many times when I get frustrated it is because she is trying to help, and it backfires.
My youngest daughter does not try as much, only when she has to. She tries in areas she cares about, but not when I ask. Does not wish to do what is told. Needs to be told over again. Has a bad attitude if told she did it incorrectly, or asked why she did it that way.
Both CAN have bad attitudes, like we all can. Like I do, some of the time.
I asked DH which is worse, one who tries and cannot do it right, but does what it asked, for the most part, or one who doesn't do what is asked, and has an attitude?
Therefore the quote at the top, which was his answer, and mine. Attitude really does make all the difference!
HOW IS YOUR ATTITUDE AFFECTING THOSE AROUND YOU TODAY?
Answer for me, I would rather have one who tries and fails with a good attitude, than one who can accomplish something with a bad attitude. It infects what I do like having a bad head cold, it clouds my thinking, and stops me in my tracks.
regular_smile.gif
...or "how is your attitude infecting those around you today?"

I am very aware of my attitude and keep things light especially for the ones who work for me and those that pay to stay with us. However, my family does suffer some days. I do take my mood out on my poor husband. He understands and we agree that it isn't personal, that I just need to blow off steam. all is well

Back