Audible guests?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Can you hear your guests from your personal space? In general, I mean. I would guess if your rooms are near/above/below guest rooms you could hear something.
Can you hear them if they are in the common areas? In their own rooms? Just general noise-laughing, talking, phones ringing.
SHOULD you be able to hear guests in common rooms?
This is just curiosity. I CAN hear guests in the common areas and on two staircases. If they are particularly loud, I can also hear them in one room. I can hear the fire alarm and the CO2 detector as well. (The dog hears smoke detectors on separate floors and she comes to get me.)
I run a fan at night so I don't hear traffic noise with the windows open, etc, but I also cannot hear the bell ring. The dog usually does, tho, so she lets me know.
I was just wondering if anyone else feels it's like having teenagers in the house and you sleep with one ear open for trouble? Or if it is not particularly necessary to hear what is going on?

YES YES and YES. I am a light sleeper, footstep noises wakes me up. I am always thinking they need something and will be banging on the door. Sometimes they do.
Talking on a cell phone is always louder than a person to person. One person alone in a room is louder than a couple.

We generally do not hear our guests when they are in their rooms other than the occasional foot steps unless they are VERY noisey. This subject always brings to mind a certain couple ....
embaressed_smile.gif
I think they needed a cabin in the woods and then the bears would be blushing!

I can hear walking - this old house creaks - and if they have the TV set for an 80 year old we definitely hear that (surprising how many young people have it that loud or is it considering the volume on the stereos). However, once I finally get to bed and get to sleep, only a phone ringing or DH mumbling, grumbling, and flinging things as HE comes to bed will wake me up until the alarm goes off. It has to be a raging rainstorm to wake me up. DH will ask, "did you hear that rain last night?" No.

We generally do not hear our guests when they are in their rooms other than the occasional foot steps unless they are VERY noisey. This subject always brings to mind a certain couple ....
embaressed_smile.gif
I think they needed a cabin in the woods and then the bears would be blushing!.
This subject always brings to mind a certain couple ....
embaressed_smile.gif
I think they needed a cabin in the woods and then the bears would be blushing!

We had a couple like that who would meet here for a weekend (thankfully were always the only guests by chance - and DH would get jealous!) and then his mother died so they could get married. They stopped coming then - oh they were not teens. Mama was in her 90s and they were nearing retirement.

I'm the mom. I hear everything.
But when I'm tired enough, I sleep through it anyway.
There's only one wall that shares two beds, and that's ours with one guest room. Our long term guest practices her viola... dh can't hear it (but then, he's hard of hearing), I can. I always think it's interesting, if breakfast has been scheduled for 9 then at 8 I can hear alarm clocks going off in multiple rooms. But when I'm on the third floor I can't hear the doorbell, the back of the house, or the basement... it's great up there!
So far no one's been so loud that I've had to ask them to be considerate of other guests. In general, although the floors creak and the walls allow some passage of noise, it's not as bad as I feared it would be. That is, many times I hear voices, but usually not so distinct I can understand what they're saying (unless, as mentioned, they're on a cell phone...)
=)
Kk.

LOL...you folks crack me up sometimes. :D Fortunately, I’ve never heard others' conversations coming from a stateroom, or anything else for that matter. And I’m very happy that this yacht is MUCH heavier (at 46 tons without the weight of fuel and water) than the last one on which no one could get away with anything. Every movement was felt throughout the vessel, "Honey, why is the boat shaking?" Use your imagination...
My biggest sound nuisance is the TV in the salon which is directly over the master stateroom. I do remind folks who may be watching a movie or something in the salon that the volume needs to be on low if the folks in the master have retired for the evening. We like it when we have one party booking the whole yacht - they can yell shut up at each other at will if they want and I don’t have to keep an eye out for one set of guests annoying another.
I’m a light sleeper - everything keeps me up and I use a fan to sleep, too.

I can't hear them (benefit to cabins) but they have to walk right past our bedroom to get to the beach and the path is crushed stone, so we can hear them when they walk by. Sometimes wakes us up, mainly because it wakes our dog, and he wakes us up. By the end of the summer season he is completely used to it, but we are at the mid-way point right now and he still stirs at the sound of crunching rocks.

We can't hear anything from our quarters (den/bedroom) which are on the back of the first floor of the house. We have part of a guest room above our den & I thought for sure we'd hear them but we don't. We can't hear folks coming in the house when we're in the kitchen or laundry room either (also the back of the house). This bugs my dh - he seems to think that he needs to keep track of the guests. I hear, "Did they go for a walk?" "Are they back yet?" He worries about them. I keep telling him that we're not their parents! I was upstairs this evening putting something away in a guest room & I did hear my dh slamming a door downstairs to our quarters. I had to remind him that he needs to keep in the habit of closing the doors quietly. "Why do i have to do that? There's no one but us here tonight!!" Yeesch...
I do worry about sound traveling & disturbing the guests, but this is a very quiet house & there's only one bathroom wall that is shared with 2 guestrooms. i did just notice that in our house next door, you could hear the tub being filling in one guestroom when you were in the hallway. The noise is traveling through a transom. I need to fix that. Other than that, that house is also very quiet.
I'm so tired when I finally get to bed that I don't hear a thing!!

I can't hear them (benefit to cabins) but they have to walk right past our bedroom to get to the beach and the path is crushed stone, so we can hear them when they walk by. Sometimes wakes us up, mainly because it wakes our dog, and he wakes us up. By the end of the summer season he is completely used to it, but we are at the mid-way point right now and he still stirs at the sound of crunching rocks..
swirt said:
I can't hear them (benefit to cabins) but they have to walk right past our bedroom to get to the beach and the path is crushed stone, so we can hear them when they walk by. Sometimes wakes us up, mainly because it wakes our dog, and he wakes us up. By the end of the summer season he is completely used to it, but we are at the mid-way point right now and he still stirs at the sound of crunching rocks.
Yeah, the dog has to adapt...mine does the same thing. Beginning of season everytime the doorbell rings she woofs. No barking, she's not a barker. By the end of the summer she doesn't even wake up. (Unless it's at night, Then she'll come and stick her head in the bed. My side, of course.)

Yes we can hear guests from our personal space. Like you I sleep with a fan on so that I don't hear anything. It's the only way I can get a good nights sleep. I don't feel I have to be aware of what's going on in the house. If guests are making too much noise (very, very seldom happens) I figure the other guests can handle the noisemakers! LOL!!

That's great!!! We have often thought about putting a baby monitor in our Gazebo to cover when we server breakfast out there. Since we are in and out carting food in and out we sometimes miss the beginnings or endings of stories that guests are telling to each other. Also if DW is in cooking and I am out answering questions or whatever, she can hear what we've talked about so she doesn't come out and tell the same story I just told a few minutes earlier. You've now given me the courage to do it ... now if only you could give me the time to do it. ;)

STOP!
Are y'all all serious? A baby monitor is a simple word for eaves dropping. Are you kidding? If you want to eaves drop go high tech, I am sure SMARTHOME.COM has some sort or surveillance device you can install to look like a plant or something.
This really bothers me. Really.
Get a wireless doorbell and stick it on the wall for them to push the button and you can hear them when they need you.
I would take this off of here if you do this and people can read do you this.
I can guarantee a guest would not be pleased to find this out!!!! I am disgusted right now.
I know it is not in their room, it is THERE, LISTENING TO PRIVATE conversation.

Made me laugh again...I have baby monitor cameras with sound...where this topic went made me think of them and if the sound monitor was shocking, how about cameras??? LOL OK, OK, confession, I don't have them in guest rooms (eeeww!) or common areas, but do have them in the engine rooms. When underway, we like to be able to see what's going on in there (i.e. water, fire, smoke, etc. just as an extra precaution and extra set of eyes since we are usually on the "third floor" up when the engines are roaring).
And best of all...when I have a technician there working on the boat when I'm not there, I can watch what they are doing via the internet. Works out great...I am able to nip all the fudging of their time on their bills. Just caught one late last week overcharging me by 3 hours. I could see that he was working on another boat for 2 hours before he set foot on mine, and then I saw that he left for an hour, yet I was still billed for his time. I guess he never noticed the camera in the engine room. And I suppose he didn't understand the sophistication of the camera surveillance system on the dock. They just cannot rip me off anymore!

STOP!
Are y'all all serious? A baby monitor is a simple word for eaves dropping. Are you kidding? If you want to eaves drop go high tech, I am sure SMARTHOME.COM has some sort or surveillance device you can install to look like a plant or something.
Get a wireless doorbell and stick it on the wall for them to push the button and you can hear them when they need you.
I can guarantee a guest would not be pleased to find this out!!!! I am disgusted right now.
I know it is not in their room, it is THERE, LISTENING TO PRIVATE conversation..
Wow - OK - post removed. I can very rarely hear any specific conversation - it's primarily front door opening / closing etc so I know guests are leaving / arriving.
Hang on - I'm editing this again. This is not eavesdropping ... if I'm in my office right off the front hall I can hear people arriving / leaving / asking questions.
If I have to do laundry, fold towels, iron etc I have no way of knowing whether someone is coming in the front door or leaving for the evening. We are talking about a public area with other guests and generally either myself or my husband working, just not in plain sight. No guest rooms are near or in range and I have the ability to get what I need to get done without having to stop and run to the door everytime I think I hear something.

Made me laugh again...I have baby monitor cameras with sound...where this topic went made me think of them and if the sound monitor was shocking, how about cameras??? LOL OK, OK, confession, I don't have them in guest rooms (eeeww!) or common areas, but do have them in the engine rooms. When underway, we like to be able to see what's going on in there (i.e. water, fire, smoke, etc. just as an extra precaution and extra set of eyes since we are usually on the "third floor" up when the engines are roaring).
And best of all...when I have a technician there working on the boat when I'm not there, I can watch what they are doing via the internet. Works out great...I am able to nip all the fudging of their time on their bills. Just caught one late last week overcharging me by 3 hours. I could see that he was working on another boat for 2 hours before he set foot on mine, and then I saw that he left for an hour, yet I was still billed for his time. I guess he never noticed the camera in the engine room. And I suppose he didn't understand the sophistication of the camera surveillance system on the dock. They just cannot rip me off anymore!.
Sanctuary in Miami said:
And best of all...when I have a technician there working on the boat when I'm not there, I can watch what they are doing via the internet. Works out great...I am able to nip all the fudging of their time on their bills. Just caught one late last week overcharging me by 3 hours. I could see that he was working on another boat for 2 hours before he set foot on mine, and then I saw that he left for an hour, yet I was still billed for his time. I guess he never noticed the camera in the engine room. And I suppose he didn't understand the sophistication of the camera surveillance system on the dock. They just cannot rip me off anymore!
DOCKS ALWAYS HAVE CAMERAS!!! EVERYWHERE. Boats have cameras like you do. If it is inside where the guest DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT IT, HIDDEN, then that is another issue. WORKERS are another issue.

STOP!
I know it is not in their room, it is THERE, LISTENING TO PRIVATE conversation..
Wow - OK - post removed. I can very rarely hear any specific conversation - it's primarily front door opening / closing etc so I know guests are leaving / arriving.
Hang on - I'm editing this again. This is not eavesdropping ... if I'm in my office right off the front hall I can hear people arriving / leaving / asking questions.
If I have to do laundry, fold towels, iron etc I have no way of knowing whether someone is coming in the front door or leaving for the evening. We are talking about a public area with other guests and generally either myself or my husband working, just not in plain sight. No guest rooms are near or in range and I have the ability to get what I need to get done without having to stop and run to the door everytime I think I hear something.
The Tipsy Butler said:
You don't have to run to the door everytime you hear something, install a button they can ring you if they need you.
I just feel it is a total invasion of privacy unless there is a sign stating this is there. It's not a shop, it's not a mall, it is a B&B. Nope, don't go for it one bit.
Sure, parking lot security cam, not a problem. But not inside a B&B. We all have towels to fold and laundry to do and rooms to clean, all of us are away in these houses from the front door. That is just the way it is. We can't be there 100% of the time, and guests don't expect us to.
You have a listening DEVICE it is not the same thing, there is absolutely no argument there.
I guarantee ANY GUEST you mention this to will have a fit. WHY? What is wrong? See what I mean, it is not just me. It is not on.

I would also be creeped out if I thought there was a monitor no matter where I was staying.....
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
! And if I found out there was one later on I would feel like I was violated, just too weird.

Back