Audible guests?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
STOP!
Are y'all all serious? A baby monitor is a simple word for eaves dropping. Are you kidding? If you want to eaves drop go high tech, I am sure SMARTHOME.COM has some sort or surveillance device you can install to look like a plant or something.
This really bothers me. Really.
Get a wireless doorbell and stick it on the wall for them to push the button and you can hear them when they need you.
I would take this off of here if you do this and people can read do you this.
I can guarantee a guest would not be pleased to find this out!!!! I am disgusted right now.
I know it is not in their room, it is THERE, LISTENING TO PRIVATE conversation..
Wow - OK - post removed. I can very rarely hear any specific conversation - it's primarily front door opening / closing etc so I know guests are leaving / arriving.
Hang on - I'm editing this again. This is not eavesdropping ... if I'm in my office right off the front hall I can hear people arriving / leaving / asking questions.
If I have to do laundry, fold towels, iron etc I have no way of knowing whether someone is coming in the front door or leaving for the evening. We are talking about a public area with other guests and generally either myself or my husband working, just not in plain sight. No guest rooms are near or in range and I have the ability to get what I need to get done without having to stop and run to the door everytime I think I hear something.
The Tipsy Butler said:
Wow - OK - post removed. I can very rarely hear any specific conversation - it's primarily front door opening / closing etc so I know guests are leaving / arriving.
Hang on - I'm editing this again. This is not eavesdropping ... if I'm in my office right off the front hall I can hear people arriving / leaving / asking questions.
If I have to do laundry, fold towels, iron etc I have no way of knowing whether someone is coming in the front door or leaving for the evening. We are talking about a public area with other guests and generally either myself or my husband working, just not in plain sight. No guest rooms are near or in range and I have the ability to get what I need to get done without having to stop and run to the door everytime I think I hear something.
You don't have to run to the door everytime you hear something, install a button they can ring you if they need you.
I just feel it is a total invasion of privacy unless there is a sign stating this is there. It's not a shop, it's not a mall, it is a B&B. Nope, don't go for it one bit.
Sure, parking lot security cam, not a problem. But not inside a B&B. We all have towels to fold and laundry to do and rooms to clean, all of us are away in these houses from the front door. That is just the way it is. We can't be there 100% of the time, and guests don't expect us to.
You have a listening DEVICE it is not the same thing, there is absolutely no argument there.
I guarantee ANY GUEST you mention this to will have a fit. WHY? What is wrong? See what I mean, it is not just me. It is not on.
OK, I'm coming in late and missed the deleted stuff... how would having a baby monitor in the hallway, so I can hear what's going on when I'm in the basement, be different from having no baby monitor but listening to what's going on from the kitchen?
I've been seriously considering putting a baby monitor in the kitchen so that I can hear the doorbell when I'm in the basement. (I'm also asking my contractor to see if we can have two ringers, which would serve the same purpose.)
I have had a baby monitor in my kid's room all these years... I can't usually hear what they're saying (unless I crank it up way too loud). Mostly baby monitors are great for distinguishing between silence, fussing, and bawling, between happily playing and outright fighting, and for when furniture is getting tipped over. If I had one in the foyer or kitchen, all I would expect it to do would be to alert me to the presence of guests (arriving or departing) which is useful information if I'm waiting to pop into a room and fluff it.
So, I'm not getting what the big deal is...
=)
Kk.

Post deleted.
You can buy some devices that are motion detectors that will sound an alarm in a different room to alert you to the return of your guests, another innkeeper friend has one in her foyer by the front door because their house is so huge. Also, I think that there are some sensor pads that you can put under a rug or something.

STOP!
Are y'all all serious? A baby monitor is a simple word for eaves dropping. Are you kidding? If you want to eaves drop go high tech, I am sure SMARTHOME.COM has some sort or surveillance device you can install to look like a plant or something.
Get a wireless doorbell and stick it on the wall for them to push the button and you can hear them when they need you.
I can guarantee a guest would not be pleased to find this out!!!! I am disgusted right now.
I know it is not in their room, it is THERE, LISTENING TO PRIVATE conversation..
The Tipsy Butler said:
You don't have to run to the door everytime you hear something, install a button they can ring you if they need you.
I just feel it is a total invasion of privacy unless there is a sign stating this is there. It's not a shop, it's not a mall, it is a B&B. Nope, don't go for it one bit.
Sure, parking lot security cam, not a problem. But not inside a B&B. We all have towels to fold and laundry to do and rooms to clean, all of us are away in these houses from the front door. That is just the way it is. We can't be there 100% of the time, and guests don't expect us to.
You have a listening DEVICE it is not the same thing, there is absolutely no argument there.
I guarantee ANY GUEST you mention this to will have a fit. WHY? What is wrong? See what I mean, it is not just me. It is not on.
JBJ
I have the utmost respect for you, however I just don't get this. It is absolutely no different from me being in my office with guests coming in and out and congregating in the living room. Essentially, it puts my laundry space (etc) in the same space as my office. It helps me make everyone's experience (including mine) better.
One VITAL role it plays is when the power goes out, the fire alarm system gives off a very very annoying LOUD beep that, unless we had the monitor, would be totally inaudible in our guest quarters but would absolutely make any kind of sleep in our ground floor room impossible. This is the only way we can be aware of it and turn it off.
If the OQ were inextricably linked to the guest quarters being able to hear guests would be a given. This is simply one way to get around the fact that we are pretty much totally detached from the guest rooms.
I have to say that I am am completely astounded by your reaction.
I guess the potential implication is that this is done for "creepy" reasons. Trust me - I have no ulterior motives other than making sure everyone is catered to.

STOP!
The Tipsy Butler said:
JBJ
I have the utmost respect for you, however I just don't get this. It is absolutely no different from me being in my office with guests coming in and out and congregating in the living room. Essentially, it puts my laundry space (etc) in the same space as my office. It helps me make everyone's experience (including mine) better.
One VITAL role it plays is when the power goes out, the fire alarm system gives off a very very annoying LOUD beep that, unless we had the monitor, would be totally inaudible in our guest quarters but would absolutely make any kind of sleep in our ground floor room impossible. This is the only way we can be aware of it and turn it off.
If the OQ were inextricably linked to the guest quarters being able to hear guests would be a given. This is simply one way to get around the fact that we are pretty much totally detached from the guest rooms.
I guess the potential implication is that this is done for "creepy" reasons. Trust me - I have no ulterior motives other than making sure everyone is catered to.
We know that you wouldn't have a baby monitor for "creepy" reasons, but honestly it's a form of eavesdropping because of the potential to hear guests' conversations. That's what bothers me. There are other less intrusive electronic devices that can alert you to your guests' return to the inn or their departure for dinner so that you can do their turndown service.
If you can't hear your power outage alarm in your owners quarters, you need to have that wiring modified & updated. You certainly can't rely on a baby monitor to alert you to that.
Just my 2 cents....

I do it the old-fashioned way! Madame LaFarge sits at her computer next to the door & foyer!

I would also be creeped out if I thought there was a monitor no matter where I was staying.....
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
! And if I found out there was one later on I would feel like I was violated, just too weird..
Georgia Girl, please consider the following:
I like to great my guests when they get back from an afternoon out - find out if they would like any ice, if they want restaurant recommendations etc. If I am in my office / kitchen / garden etc ... no problem. If my house was normalish shape I could hear people coming in from almost anywhere.
However my house is unusually long and skinny and my laundry / ironing areas are a very long way from the front door. So ..... I can either compromise my service levels because of the layout of the house or I can find a way around it. We are talking front door and no where else.
Based on the "welcome tour .... here's how to find me", guests would pretty much expect to find me behind closed doors in the office off the front hall anyway ... anything they are discussing they already know is being said in MY earshot.

STOP!
The Tipsy Butler said:
JBJ
We know that you wouldn't have a baby monitor for "creepy" reasons, but honestly it's a form of eavesdropping because of the potential to hear guests' conversations. That's what bothers me. There are other less intrusive electronic devices that can alert you to your guests' return to the inn or their departure for dinner so that you can do their turndown service.
If you can't hear your power outage alarm in your owners quarters, you need to have that wiring modified & updated. You certainly can't rely on a baby monitor to alert you to that.
Just my 2 cents....
Please see response to Georgia Girl below.
paraphrase - I am not going to let the layout of my house dictate service levels AND because my office placement (which is made known to each and every guest that walks through my doors) EVERYONE knows that things said in the front hall can be heard.

STOP!
The Tipsy Butler said:
OK, I'm coming in late and missed the deleted stuff... how would having a baby monitor in the hallway, so I can hear what's going on when I'm in the basement, be different from having no baby monitor but listening to what's going on from the kitchen?
I've been seriously considering putting a baby monitor in the kitchen so that I can hear the doorbell when I'm in the basement. (I'm also asking my contractor to see if we can have two ringers, which would serve the same purpose.)
I have had a baby monitor in my kid's room all these years... I can't usually hear what they're saying (unless I crank it up way too loud). Mostly baby monitors are great for distinguishing between silence, fussing, and bawling, between happily playing and outright fighting, and for when furniture is getting tipped over. If I had one in the foyer or kitchen, all I would expect it to do would be to alert me to the presence of guests (arriving or departing) which is useful information if I'm waiting to pop into a room and fluff it.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Simply put - that's my point exactly. If my house was layed out differently, it wouldn't be a problem. The layout makes it a problem and this is how I deal with it. It works and it's NON intrusive because guests would reasonably expect me to be in a place where I could hear them without "help".

Boy oh boy...where has this conversation gone?
I can't hear anything since my quaters are attache, yet seperate. I only can herar people taking showers ( actually, I can only hear water running) when I am in the hallway downstairs. Our rooms are seperated by bathrooms, so the guests should not be able to hear each other either.
As of the monitors, as a guest, if the Innkeeper lets me know of the existence of a monitor, I would be fine.
As an Innkeeper, I don't want to know my guests coming and going so I can catch up wit them since it would make me feel like i am snooping on them.If my guests need anything, they come and find me.
I too have an wireless doorbell in my quaters, they can call me for help.

We have private quarters on the main level and can hear guests in the public areas but we like that. We know when everyone is in and when people leave! We sometimes run a fan too, if they decide to stay up late.

STOP!
The Tipsy Butler said:
JBJ
The Tipsy Butler said:
JBJ
I never implied it was done for creepy reasons, I know exactly why it is done, that is not creepy at all. What it is is monitoring someone without their knowledge and PROBABLY illegal. If you can tell me it is in plain sight, then that is ANOTHER STORY. If you tell me it is hidden, then it is WRONG. A camera up on the wall facing the front door is not illegal, hiding it from guests most likely is.
You are standing by this, so please discuss this with your guests and let me know the outcome. Tell them you have a LISTENING DEVICE so you can hear them coming and going as your quarters are far away. Report back what they say.
It doesn't matter that it is muffled or not, the fact is you are listing to people without them knowing about it. Through something other than your ears and in person.
I am astounded that you think it is ok.

I would also be creeped out if I thought there was a monitor no matter where I was staying.....
! And if I found out there was one later on I would feel like I was violated, just too weird..
I like to great my guests when they get back from an afternoon out - find out if they would like any ice, if they want restaurant recommendations etc. If I am in my office / kitchen / garden etc ... no problem. If my house was normalish shape I could hear people coming in from almost anywhere.
However my house is unusually long and skinny and my laundry / ironing areas are a very long way from the front door. So ..... I can either compromise my service levels because of the layout of the house or I can find a way around it. We are talking front door and no where else.
Based on the "welcome tour .... here's how to find me", guests would pretty much expect to find me behind closed doors in the office off the front hall anyway ... anything they are discussing they already know is being said in MY earshot.
The Tipsy Butler said:
Do you think what they know you can hear in earshot is the same thing as being alone and having big brother listening in on them? I don't get this at all, I can't believe there is any argument about it. You better be careful, better look into the law a bit, someone discovers it and will sue your socks off.
I know in London they have 10 cameras on you at any given moment. You are more SPIED on there than any other place. But this is a not a socialist country (yet), this is not something that is done here. FULL DISCLOSURE is required in the USA.

STOP!
The Tipsy Butler said:
JBJ
The Tipsy Butler said:
JBJ
I never implied it was done for creepy reasons, I know exactly why it is done, that is not creepy at all. What it is is monitoring someone without their knowledge and PROBABLY illegal. If you can tell me it is in plain sight, then that is ANOTHER STORY. If you tell me it is hidden, then it is WRONG. A camera up on the wall facing the front door is not illegal, hiding it from guests most likely is.
You are standing by this, so please discuss this with your guests and let me know the outcome. Tell them you have a LISTENING DEVICE so you can hear them coming and going as your quarters are far away. Report back what they say.
It doesn't matter that it is muffled or not, the fact is you are listing to people without them knowing about it. Through something other than your ears and in person.
I am astounded that you think it is ok.
No problem - it's in plain sight and I'll make a point of showing it to guests going forward.
I asked all my guests this morning. One couple (repeats) has always known it was there. The second couple had seen it almost immediately on coming in the front door (and correctly guessed it's purpose) and the final two couples hadn't noticed it, assumed I was in my office most of the time and could hear what they were saying but had no problem with it.

RCFP has a very helpful summary of each State’s eavesdropping and wiretapping laws.
[h4]Maine[/h4] [Back to state index]
Me. Rev. Stat. Ann. tit. 15, § 709: Interception of wire and oral communications is a "Class C" crime under the state criminal code, and an interceptor is someone other than the sender or receiver of a communication who is not in the range of "normal unaided hearing" and has not been given the authority to hear or record the communication by a sender or receiver.
Disclosure of the contents of intercepted communications, knowing the information was obtained by interception, is a violation of the criminal code as well. Me. Rev. Stat. Ann. tit. 15, § 710.
Anyone whose communications have been intercepted can sue for civil damages and recover the greater of $100 a day for each day of violation or actual damages, and also attorney fees and litigation costs. Me. Rev. Stat. Ann. tit. 15, § 711

I get it that you want to greet your guests. We do too. I still think having some device other than a device that detects conversations is a better way to go. I guess you need to do what you are comfortable with. As a guest, I would not like having to stifle my conversations or worry about what I was saying that might be heard over a baby monitor. jmvvho.

Back