Audio/Video Entertainment

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzie Q

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm in the correct forum.
We got a nasty-gram stating that if we have DVD's in the common area and if guests watch them, we are in violation of "Unlicensed Public Performance of Copyrighted Motion Pictures."
Has anybody had experience with this? Do you know what the fee is? We are just a small mom and pop organization.
Thank you for any experience with this that you'd care to share.

I don't have any of the answers, but I do know that a lot of b&bs have been hit lately with the same notice. I took down all references on my website about videos/movies. I don't know how else they would know, unless some guest snitched to them, but I highly doubt that.

I don't have any of the answers, but I do know that a lot of b&bs have been hit lately with the same notice. I took down all references on my website about videos/movies. I don't know how else they would know, unless some guest snitched to them, but I highly doubt that..
Thank you!

I don't think the letters are specifically targeting certain small businesses, just a scatter shot approach to either collecting money now or as a way to say you were notified if they decide to pursue this down the line.
We'll probably all get one eventually.
The deal is you can't make money from the viewing of those movies/shows.Same way you can't make money from playing music in the house while guests are present.
You are making money because guests are paying you. Not specifically to watch the movie or hear the music, but you are providing these things to paying guests.
If you have a commercial account for your cable or satellite then all the royalties are covered by that. But that doesn't cover DVD's or CD's you bought.
Doesn't matter if you live there or not. If you want to claim business deductions you have to act like a business.
A friend got the letter a couple of years ago from BMI. They wanted around $500. Of course the other companies may also send a letter asking for other amounts. Then again, the letter you got could be a complete scam. Anyone could have sent it. And you would have to pay this fee yearly if you ever opted to send money. How they would determine what a small biz would owe is beyond me.

Unreal! Squeeze squeeze squeeze ....
seashanty said:
Unreal! Squeeze squeeze squeeze ...
I agree until I think that is not just the label that gets the money, but the artist as well.
If an artist sells directly to the public, without benefit of contracts, then you've paid them when you bought the DVD or CD. Otherwise you're sucked into the machine.

I have heard that one inn (not on innspiring) has a family movie night (offseason) that they project into the wall for people to come watch, they provide refreshments, etc. for a fee. This is probably what the notice you got was aimed at. Not letting your guest watch a DVD on their own in the living room.

Well the truth of the matter is if you are commercial then you can't have that going on. Unfortunately. It is up to you what you want to do about it. I am sure it is a standard letter they send out to everyone, they did that to us for music. The letter stated we have performers here playing music that is copyrighted. Uh not quite, unless you consider singing in the shower performing.
Get rid of the DVD's and you won't have to worry about it. Are they just there as a collection and dust collector anyway? Just my 2 cents. (PS I don't know your layout or anything, just making my comment to this thread).

This is sort of related: when I was in college (this was even ten years ago now) the university received a letter like this. I'm not sure what went on behind the scenes with the school's legal department but we were no longer allowed to watch movies in the common areas of the dormitories. It was a while ago but if I am remembering correctly I think they had some sort of restriction on how many people could watch a movie in a dorm room at one time too, although I don't ever remember that part being enforced. The no-movies-in-the-common-area rule was strictly enforced though.
I think these sort of industries are starting to tighten their grip on this kind of thing. I have a friend that owns a coffee shop and he received a letter about playing music behind the counter. The music wasn't even being played over a PA it was basically just for the baristas to listen to while they worked. But according to the letter it was still in a public place.
Its crazy. I hate these big interest groups throwing their weight around to nickel-and-dime people.

We used to get this asking us to pay a music licence fee.... for a venue. They just sent them out to everyone hoping everyone would pay. I called them, gave them the low down on the size of legal B&Bs around here, which didn't match their "venue" definition and told them the next time I get the letter, I will be forwarding it to the government prosecutors to persue under the fraud statues. Last letter I got.

I am going to be honest with you all here.
This forum is a great place to innteract with innkeepers, but when we have to spend time reading posts and comments from those not in our industry it becomes cumbersome and pretty much a waste of time.
Your comments, current, past and aspiring innkeepers are a good fit for the "where innkeepers belong" motto at the top of this page. Those in the industry.
I know not everyone agrees with me, but this is an industry type site, not a place for those who go to B&B's to belong. it is bad enough that dirty laundry is aired here from time to time publicly on the www (which is a reminder to us all to not air that laundry).
I sure would love an update to the site that said "show your innkeeping relevance by a link to see who you are, or prove it to us before you are admitted into the where innkeepers belong group"...
No this is not in regard to the original post.

I am going to be honest with you all here.
This forum is a great place to innteract with innkeepers, but when we have to spend time reading posts and comments from those not in our industry it becomes cumbersome and pretty much a waste of time.
Your comments, current, past and aspiring innkeepers are a good fit for the "where innkeepers belong" motto at the top of this page. Those in the industry.
I know not everyone agrees with me, but this is an industry type site, not a place for those who go to B&B's to belong. it is bad enough that dirty laundry is aired here from time to time publicly on the www (which is a reminder to us all to not air that laundry).
I sure would love an update to the site that said "show your innkeeping relevance by a link to see who you are, or prove it to us before you are admitted into the where innkeepers belong group"...
No this is not in regard to the original post..
I am assuming that this is directed at me and my post and I do apologize. I thought that it might be useful to other to have another perspective and I'm sorry that I was incorrect in assuming that. The last thing I wanted to do was add noise and/or frustration to the forum. I can see that I'm not welcome here so I can see myself out. :)
Best of luck! Sorry again for intruding.

in the UK you are supposed to have a licence even if they are lent for free - licence is about £100 - we have a neighbor who lends out so warned her to be careful as even if it is free, technically it isn't as it is included in the room rate

One thing we're doing in the winter is adding flat screen TV's with DVD players in them. We'll have movie DVD's, but we won't advertise it on our website. Just keep the library in the parlor.

Back