August ennui

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I get to feeling down, I like to bake something new or clean out a closet. Not your typical therapy, but it's cheap..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
When I get to feeling down, I like to bake something new or clean out a closet. Not your typical therapy, but it's cheap.
A clean and organized closet is a rare and satisfying thing to have.

Maddie, sorry you're feeling this way. Your heart just isn't in your job right now and that's ok. Sometimes you just have to go with the ebb and flow and let yourself feel the way you feel. It seems like you and DH have had some health issues this year and that's pretty stressful, especially when trying to carry on your normal workload. I would recommend getting a complete physical (and yes, push your GP to do a thorough workup), and talking to a professional.
As a side note, I love reading your blog. It's always fresh, interesting, and inspiring. So, though you may be feeling bored, it doesn't show on your blog. You are a great writer and I look forward to reading your posts. Have you ever considered teaching a writing class at your local college? It could be a way for you to do what you love and get paid for it. I know there are time constraints but perhaps one night a week? Or perhaps writing articles for a local magazine? Yankee Magazine perhaps? I could definitely see that!

Maddie, sorry you're feeling this way. Your heart just isn't in your job right now and that's ok. Sometimes you just have to go with the ebb and flow and let yourself feel the way you feel. It seems like you and DH have had some health issues this year and that's pretty stressful, especially when trying to carry on your normal workload. I would recommend getting a complete physical (and yes, push your GP to do a thorough workup), and talking to a professional.
As a side note, I love reading your blog. It's always fresh, interesting, and inspiring. So, though you may be feeling bored, it doesn't show on your blog. You are a great writer and I look forward to reading your posts. Have you ever considered teaching a writing class at your local college? It could be a way for you to do what you love and get paid for it. I know there are time constraints but perhaps one night a week? Or perhaps writing articles for a local magazine? Yankee Magazine perhaps? I could definitely see that!.
Thank you! I sometimes feel I'm writing in a vacuum.

Sorry that you've been suffering through this for most of this year and it particularly hit home this month. That makes me feel sad for you. :-(
We all go through situational depression, but need to look into it more if it seems to be something more than that, so advice from others here to perhaps speak to a professional (who is not biased like your friends and family) is good if you think that this low period is more than just temporary.
After my birthday last year, I hit a pretty low time after a lot of serious events/factors. A milestone birthday this year that I'm not really happy about is in the mix as well. Hahaha.... What worked for me over this past year was some deep soul searching on where I want to be, where I want to be heading, and where I want to focus my energy. Started back into some reading on "self help" topics & I especially liked "The Happiness Project". I try to do affirmations every day. Also, I got back into some meditations. Most importantly, I got rid of most of the negative influences in my life and started trying to accept that I need to ignore that and embrace the positive with even more gusto!
Looking inside helped to turn it around for me and focusing on how I can affect change, rather than expecting the change to come from others around me.
We have all been there and are here for you! Hugs.....

When I get to feeling down, I like to bake something new or clean out a closet. Not your typical therapy, but it's cheap..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
When I get to feeling down, I like to bake something new or clean out a closet. Not your typical therapy, but it's cheap.
Mext time you feel down, come on over. My pit office could use your attention. I get bogged down when I try.....

I once read an article by a lady who did B&B for years. In it she said that one morning she was carrying the laundry and passed her husband on the stairs who was carrying the tray of dirty crockery down and he turned to her and said "Do you know what? I don't want to do this anymore" and she replied "No, neither do I". And that was that, they sold up and moved on!

You're entitled to days off. Rest your mind. Everybody gets a vacation. You aren't letting your business down by taking one, you are renewing your energy..
TheBeachHouse said:
You're entitled to days off. Rest your mind. Everybody gets a vacation. You aren't letting your business down by taking one, you are renewing your energy.
I wish I was talking about needing or taking a vacation. This has been going on all year. Even when I was on vacation I had no interest in doing anything. When we came back it took me a month to paint one room. So, room offline, not bringing in income because I can't get it together anymore.
Sigh.
I agree that you need a professional. Sounds like depression. Not uncommon, especially since you've really been fighting the abdominal problems this year. You probably need a whole workup. My FIL barely wanted to do anything and the Dr. did a workup and put him on thyroid meds. He's like a new man.
Funny about the thyroid. You know I had those stomach issues and basically stopped eating for months. I never lost any weight!
I'll mention it to my gp, who is essentially useless. But if I push it might make a difference.
Don't let your useless doctor be the reason that you are not healthy. If you need a more attentive and proactive doctor go find one! Don't spend your time & energy trying to make him care about you. Find someone that does. Even if it's an hour away. Sometimes it's the new doctor looking at you with fresh eyes that sees things the old complacent doctor overlooked. You deserve to have the best care and if you aren't physically healthy, your mental health will never be well.
I wish you well. We want you healthy and happy. Don't settle for anything less, please

I once read an article by a lady who did B&B for years. In it she said that one morning she was carrying the laundry and passed her husband on the stairs who was carrying the tray of dirty crockery down and he turned to her and said "Do you know what? I don't want to do this anymore" and she replied "No, neither do I". And that was that, they sold up and moved on!.
Cute.
There will come a time.

You're entitled to days off. Rest your mind. Everybody gets a vacation. You aren't letting your business down by taking one, you are renewing your energy..
TheBeachHouse said:
You're entitled to days off. Rest your mind. Everybody gets a vacation. You aren't letting your business down by taking one, you are renewing your energy.
I wish I was talking about needing or taking a vacation. This has been going on all year. Even when I was on vacation I had no interest in doing anything. When we came back it took me a month to paint one room. So, room offline, not bringing in income because I can't get it together anymore.
Sigh.
I agree that you need a professional. Sounds like depression. Not uncommon, especially since you've really been fighting the abdominal problems this year. You probably need a whole workup. My FIL barely wanted to do anything and the Dr. did a workup and put him on thyroid meds. He's like a new man.
Funny about the thyroid. You know I had those stomach issues and basically stopped eating for months. I never lost any weight!
I'll mention it to my gp, who is essentially useless. But if I push it might make a difference.
Don't let your useless doctor be the reason that you are not healthy. If you need a more attentive and proactive doctor go find one! Don't spend your time & energy trying to make him care about you. Find someone that does. Even if it's an hour away. Sometimes it's the new doctor looking at you with fresh eyes that sees things the old complacent doctor overlooked. You deserve to have the best care and if you aren't physically healthy, your mental health will never be well.
I wish you well. We want you healthy and happy. Don't settle for anything less, please
Kay Nein said:
thumbs_up.gif

Back