Australian GM responds to every review….696 and counting!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a tough one for me. I was having a conversation with some guests just a couple of weeks ago because they said they were Yelpers and were going to do a review for us. We started talking about reviews and I asked them how they felt about businesses that respond back to all the reviews. They said it creeped them out! They thought it felt a bit like stalking. Especially if the owner contacted them personally.
In the past, I've only responded to the negatives, but I also see some positive aspects in posting positive feedback. Maybe I need to periodically respond to a positive...find a happy medium for me personally.

I do think doing every single one is a bit weird - but we do respond to positive ones as well as negative ones as it can be a good sales opp - ie Guest says they liked room 1 - I can now say when you come again we have just put in a new bathroom.
Guest came for a play at the theatre - I can say the new program is out till march next year take a look
and so on - make tripadviser work for you

I do think doing every single one is a bit weird - but we do respond to positive ones as well as negative ones as it can be a good sales opp - ie Guest says they liked room 1 - I can now say when you come again we have just put in a new bathroom.
Guest came for a play at the theatre - I can say the new program is out till march next year take a look
and so on - make tripadviser work for you.
There's a couple of businesses round here that reply to every review, there's always personal bits in the reply (like mentioning the guests dog name and something specific they did) which to my mind is a bit creepy / stalkerish.
The other danger of replying to everything I think is you end up saying the same thing over and over, so it then looks like you just rubber stamping them.
If you're going to reply to everything then I guess it's finding a balance between the two. I'm not convinced that's what people are looking for and I notice this report was written by t a, so not sure this guys "achievement" is quite as noteworthy as the they would have us believe.
and so on - make tripadviser work for you
Totally agree with that. Exploit any opportunity to blow your own trumpet.

Back