Automotive tourism latest trend

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Automotive tourism latest trend
Here’s one travel trend most people have yet to hear about: automotive tourism.

That involves buying an auto or vehicle online and then traveling to another region -- for possible sightseeing -- to pick it up.
article here

We have had guests stay here who have done that. International car buyers.

We have actually done this ourselves on several occasions - Kansas City, Dallas, Miami & Houston.

Yes, and?
Did we act tourist in the locations we went to or through? Is there something in this thread to help us with marketing at our inns?
Any thoughts?
I posted this under B&B marketing. :)

Yes, and?
Did we act tourist in the locations we went to or through? Is there something in this thread to help us with marketing at our inns?
Any thoughts?
I posted this under B&B marketing. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
I never know what headings they're under unless I read the links at the top!
How to market it would depend on whether or not you had a particularly good car dealership/factory nearby and the appropriate consumer willing to travel. Is it Saab or Volvo who did this? Go to the factory and get YOUR car.
So, now thinking about it, if I lived near a car factory that would actually sell direct to a consumer, yes, great idea to market that. Ditto a motorcycle factory.

Yes, and?
Any thoughts?
Joey Bloggs said:
How to market it would depend on whether or not you had a particularly good car dealership/factory nearby and the appropriate consumer willing to travel. Is it Saab or Volvo who did this? Go to the factory and get YOUR car.
So, now thinking about it, if I lived near a car factory that would actually sell direct to a consumer, yes, great idea to market that. Ditto a motorcycle factory.
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
What about scenic drives? Promote them.
To me, in my mind it is not so much traveling across the country to get a factory built car (except those purist who want zero miles on it when they collect it) as dealerships have delivery charges and can train or freight them across.
I believe, much of it is private sale, buying a car on eBay/Craig's list and such. Making the deal and then making a road trip while driving it home. That is what I have seen here. So that is the direction I was thinking, not sure how to grab their attention, but I know FLA is a huge resale area of the country and folks buy and drive back North with them. (Just thinking aloud here...)

Yes, and?
Any thoughts?
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
To me, in my mind it is not so much traveling across the country to get a factory built car (except those purist who want zero miles on it when they collect it) as dealerships have delivery charges and can train or freight them across.
I believe, much of it is private sale, buying a car on eBay/Craig's list and such. Making the deal and then making a road trip while driving it home. That is what I have seen here. So that is the direction I was thinking, not sure how to grab their attention, but I know FLA is a huge resale area of the country and folks buy and drive back North with them. (Just thinking aloud here...)
Never thought about resale. I was thinking new car. Interesting ideas.

Yes, and?
Any thoughts?
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
To date no one has stayed here to bought a new car (other than staying here as part of a new car trip). And in fact a couple of them had a car trailer and towed them back. ie Vintage cars, collectible cars, muscle cars, a Harley, and even a big ol' boat. So maybe the trailer parking avail is another angle for us. Literally.
cry_smile.gif

Yes, and?
Any thoughts?
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
To date no one has stayed here to bought a new car (other than staying here as part of a new car trip). And in fact a couple of them had a car trailer and towed them back. ie Vintage cars, collectible cars, muscle cars, a Harley, and even a big ol' boat. So maybe the trailer parking avail is another angle for us. Literally.
cry_smile.gif

Ours were resales....
Also we have had guests stay that were here to purchase a boat... mostly resale.
How to market this??? Good question as all ours were private transactions. One of the guests did buy a boat from a resaler here but don't know if it is common.

Back