Availability calendars?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
This is kind of a survey question, but why you want this is also a question.
When you click a link to an availability calendar, do you want to see the calendar immediately and THEN pick the date or see the date feature first and then get the calendar for the exact dates you want?
Which way do you prefer and why?

I don't understand. Maybe because in the off season I don't show a calendar or it would show mostly empty. I put it back on when we are busier. Right now my weberv shows a date picker, you pick it and then it shows the rooms available for the date chosen (not a span of dates)

I have put the CALENDAR graphic on several sites. so when you open the page of the room or the cabin, you immediately see an x on the days booked. They like this feature alot. Very visual..then they can click on the calendar and go in to make a request.

I don't understand. Maybe because in the off season I don't show a calendar or it would show mostly empty. I put it back on when we are busier. Right now my weberv shows a date picker, you pick it and then it shows the rooms available for the date chosen (not a span of dates).
When you click my availability link it brings up a page that asks what you want to do: Make a reservation, check dates or check on a reservation you already made. When you click the link on samster's website it brings up the calendar for the next 2 weeks (or whatever she has it set for).
So, I am not showing a calendar right on the website (like in catlady's example), but if you want to make a reservation you just click the availability link and go thru the steps to get the calendar to book your room.
I'm trying to figure out if, as a guest, when you click on the avail link, you want to immediately see a calendar set for today and the next 2 weeks, or if you'd rather click the link and then select the dates and then see the calendar for the dates you selected.
I'm thinking my setup makes the guest do too much work.

I have put the CALENDAR graphic on several sites. so when you open the page of the room or the cabin, you immediately see an x on the days booked. They like this feature alot. Very visual..then they can click on the calendar and go in to make a request..
This is what I have on my website also. Each room's calendar is right there to see.
As a guest trying to book, I prefer to see the availability right away. If the rooms are very similar in amenities and price, maybe it doesn't matter as much, but if I'm looking for a specific room I want to stay in I want to see when it's available, especifically if I'm flexible on dates. In my opinion, it's too cumbersome to put in each day and see what's available.
I do understand how a lot of innkeepers don't want to show their whole calendar in the slow season, but really, everybody around you is going to be slow also, so I chose to make it easy for the guest to book and keep the calendar showing.

I don't understand. Maybe because in the off season I don't show a calendar or it would show mostly empty. I put it back on when we are busier. Right now my weberv shows a date picker, you pick it and then it shows the rooms available for the date chosen (not a span of dates).
When you click my availability link it brings up a page that asks what you want to do: Make a reservation, check dates or check on a reservation you already made. When you click the link on samster's website it brings up the calendar for the next 2 weeks (or whatever she has it set for).
So, I am not showing a calendar right on the website (like in catlady's example), but if you want to make a reservation you just click the availability link and go thru the steps to get the calendar to book your room.
I'm trying to figure out if, as a guest, when you click on the avail link, you want to immediately see a calendar set for today and the next 2 weeks, or if you'd rather click the link and then select the dates and then see the calendar for the dates you selected.
My webmaster just set it up that way and as a prospective guest I prefer it. I have the link on directories set to go right to the calendar page rather than that first step.

My webmaster just set it up that way and as a prospective guest I prefer it. I have the link on directories set to go right to the calendar page rather than that first step.
Samster said:
Right, but your code is exactly the same as mine (change the names) but mine starts at the very beginning and yours doesn't. I think your setup is better and I'm going to email them to find out why yours acts differently than mine. But I was also trying to find out what the guests prefer. (Me, I like the calendar first.)

Samster said:
Right, but your code is exactly the same as mine (change the names) but mine starts at the very beginning and yours doesn't. I think your setup is better and I'm going to email them to find out why yours acts differently than mine. But I was also trying to find out what the guests prefer. (Me, I like the calendar first.)
Bree said:
Samster said:
Guests prefer to see the calendar at a glance first.

Samster said:
I may not have done her calendar link correctly...using her super inns code..I just went to the calendar page, copied that code and used it. It worked so we were happy:)

Samster said:
I just emailed you the code you need.
I like the availability calendar first. Though I like the feature on Rezovation where they can search for a opening, but if there is no opening I can set it to display the calendar so they can where an opening might be if the adjust a little..
In watching people use the availability calendar on SuperInn I've found that most people narrow the 14 day default span to the number of days they were actually looking for, so teh calendar gives them a very narrow view. I think it is a mistake that Superinn askes them how many days to view in the calendar. Creates too much confusion because people think they are asking how many days they want to stay.

Samster said:
I may not have done her calendar link correctly...using her super inns code..I just went to the calendar page, copied that code and used it. It worked so we were happy:)
catlady said:
I went and looked to see what was there and found that the code is the same as mine (exception being the inn name in the code). Which is why I can't figure out why hers shows one thing and mine shows the other.

Samster said:
I like the availability calendar first. Though I like the feature on Rezovation where they can search for a opening, but if there is no opening I can set it to display the calendar so they can where an opening might be if the adjust a little..
In watching people use the availability calendar on SuperInn I've found that most people narrow the 14 day default span to the number of days they were actually looking for, so teh calendar gives them a very narrow view. I think it is a mistake that Superinn askes them how many days to view in the calendar. Creates too much confusion because people think they are asking how many days they want to stay.
Thanks.

Samster said:
swirt said:
In watching people use the availability calendar on SuperInn I've found that most people narrow the 14 day default span to the number of days they were actually looking for, so teh calendar gives them a very narrow view. I think it is a mistake that Superinn askes them how many days to view in the calendar. Creates too much confusion because people think they are asking how many days they want to stay.[/h3]
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????
[/h3]

Samster said:
swirt said:
In watching people use the availability calendar on SuperInn I've found that most people narrow the 14 day default span to the number of days they were actually looking for, so teh calendar gives them a very narrow view. I think it is a mistake that Superinn askes them how many days to view in the calendar. Creates too much confusion because people think they are asking how many days they want to stay.[/h3]
[/h3]
When you go to view your calendar it will, come up with a request for a 14 day calendar. However when people use it, most will enter the starting date and then if they wanted to stay for 2 days they will change the 14 to 2, so they get a 2 day calendar displayed, which makes it kind of annoying to jump forward or back in 2 day increments.

Samster said:
swirt said:
[/h3]
When you go to view your calendar it will, come up with a request for a 14 day calendar. However when people use it, most will enter the starting date and then if they wanted to stay for 2 days they will change the 14 to 2, so they get a 2 day calendar displayed, which makes it kind of annoying to jump forward or back in 2 day increments.
Oh, I know. Give me a break...how friggin' spoiled and lazy can people be??? Just read the thing.... Oh, brother...

Samster said:
swirt said:
[/h3]
I didn't know that anyone even bothered with that feature. I guess I'll set the link to go to the calendar immediately. I have it default to 2 weeks so they'll need to figure it out from there. Forward-backward, etc. I can add some text to explain what to do if need be.

Samster said:
catlady said:
There are 2 different things going on with Samster's page...the link at the very top goes to the calendar. The link in the link list on the left side goes to the same page mine does, which is the 'select what you want to do' page not the calendar. I can't see where the code is for the link (Book Now) or for the Contact Us (email) link, either. I only looked at the home page, no others.
So, it looks like Samster and I get the same result with the same code, but you have done something else with the Book Now link at the top of the page.

Back