Available guest printer?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Do you have a printer and/or fax machine the guest has complete access to? Do you think this is common B&B equipment for a B&B that does not state it has a business center? Would you expect this on your own vacation? Even at a hotel would you expect free 24x7 access to a computer with printer/fax?

We offer a wireless networked printer. We charge $1 a page except for boarding passes. A few people have gladly paid. Most of the time, it's boarding passes.

We do provide a printer hard-wired to the guest computer. No charge for any printing. We wouldn't even expect a computer, just the wifi at most places. Business centers have dodgy, slow equipment with poor access and high rates for the most part.

No. I wouldn't expect it. If i thought i was going to need such a thing, i'd check with the place i was staying. I don't think it's common, but b&b's are always evolving.
isn't free wifi enough any more? ... did someone complain?
i had a printer/fax on the 'office desk' in the kitchen where guests checked in etc., but i had to do any printing/faxing or direct them to it, it wasn't set up for the guests to do this but was easy enough.
i stayed at towne place suites by marriott recently ... in their lobby was a guest computer with printer ... not sure about fax. mostly it was a boarding pass printing that people seemed to be doing. i was surprised to see the printer there. but i guess it's the next logical thing to offer and wouldn't cost much ... i used to have like 3 printers sitting around. it's the ink that's costly. and i had a guest computer briefly ... a sweet little laptop that someone totally messed up and didn't tell me. never did figure out what they did or if the laptop was ready to fail but i believe they had it 'en lap' and dropped it instead of working with it at the desk provided in the guest library.
back at the b&b, if i did send a fax for someone, it was usually across the country. no problem ... i used magic jack so no long distance bill.

So odd this demand of printing of boarding passes as every airport in the world has the kiosks where you check in and print them.

I heard a funny line the other day about faxes, was it on here? They replied to someone "No we do not have a fax machine as it is 2011 not 1986"

We offer a wireless networked printer. We charge $1 a page except for boarding passes. A few people have gladly paid. Most of the time, it's boarding passes..
We only have two rooms so don't offer it at this time but probably will in the future when we are up to our five rooms.
RIki

We haven't set up the printer as I have no desire to see reams of paper spitting out for stupid stuff. I can print boarding passes and I will offer to do that for the guest. At least now the airlines seem to get that you might be doing this on your phone with no access to a printer so you can go back later and do the print part.
It used to be the guest would get all the way to the 'print passes' part and then ask me where they pick up their printing. Oy. And then you couldn't go back in and print from another computer.

we don't but am happy to print reasonable things. ie boarding passes. Had a couple for a conference who needed one colour page printing and laminating and they had a million other things to do as it was their first trade show (they invented this its super cool - http://www.baggee.com/) so I said don't worry when they were asking me where to go I just said bob it on as an email attachment and I'll print it and laminate it give me 5 mins. You would have thought I'd staid I will now walk on water. I would however draw the line at a whole ton of colour but a few copies of one or two things its all about balance and what is reasonable.

we don't but am happy to print reasonable things. ie boarding passes. Had a couple for a conference who needed one colour page printing and laminating and they had a million other things to do as it was their first trade show (they invented this its super cool - http://www.baggee.com/) so I said don't worry when they were asking me where to go I just said bob it on as an email attachment and I'll print it and laminate it give me 5 mins. You would have thought I'd staid I will now walk on water. I would however draw the line at a whole ton of colour but a few copies of one or two things its all about balance and what is reasonable..
we don't but am happy to print reasonable things. ie boarding passes. Had a couple for a conference who needed one colour page printing and laminating and they had a million other things to do as it was their first trade show (they invented this its super cool - http://www.baggee.com/) so I said don't worry when they were asking me where to go I just said bob it on as an email attachment and I'll print it and laminate it give me 5 mins. You would have thought I'd staid I will now walk on water. I would however draw the line at a whole ton of colour but a few copies of one or two things its all about balance and what is reasonable.
You have a machine in house that laminates??? All of the rest I agree with as that is how we do it. Laminating? You do walk on water. hahahaha

We don't have a guest printer or computer. When I know the guests are leaving to fly out (2 hour drive), I'll ask them if they need to print up their boarding passes. If guests need any thing, I'll let them sit in my little office area that's part of my kitchen, so they can print what they want, but I'm there all the time.
I bought a little laminating machine from Costco about 8 months ago for less than $20 and I haven't even opened it yet! I have some winter projects where it will come in handy.

We offer a wireless networked printer. We charge $1 a page except for boarding passes. A few people have gladly paid. Most of the time, it's boarding passes..
We only have two rooms so don't offer it at this time but probably will in the future when we are up to our five rooms.
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
I love my Samsung wi-fi printer. And on my Samsung Galaxy S II mobile phone, I have Samsung Mobile Print, so I can print a web page, from my phone or a PDF.... I can even order my printer to scan a page to my phone.

This is one of those questions that totally depends on your guest demographic and location.
We were an urban inn located 90 miles from the busiest airport in the world. In our second year of operation, we created an area with a guest computer and guest printer (both were models that we had replaced with more up-to-date technology for our own use that we would have purchased anyway). Guests did primarily use the printer for boarding passes but we also had business guests that appreciated a printer for a variety of reasons. We didn't charge anything for this. It was a need that we felt we needed to provide here and by providing this for our guests, I no longer had to be interrupted to provide this service for them.
Yes, the airports have kiosks but when you're faced with possible delays at a super busy HUGE airport, along with a 90 minute ride (or longer if there's traffic) to the closest international airport, there's some comfort in printing out your boarding passes ahead of time. Anyone who has gone through security at an airport like this knows what I'm talking about.
I would not expect this service at most of the B&Bs/inns where we've stayed, but if we were in a similar situation as a lot of our guests, it would be a huge plus.

we don't but am happy to print reasonable things. ie boarding passes. Had a couple for a conference who needed one colour page printing and laminating and they had a million other things to do as it was their first trade show (they invented this its super cool - http://www.baggee.com/) so I said don't worry when they were asking me where to go I just said bob it on as an email attachment and I'll print it and laminate it give me 5 mins. You would have thought I'd staid I will now walk on water. I would however draw the line at a whole ton of colour but a few copies of one or two things its all about balance and what is reasonable..
You have a machine in house that laminates??? All of the rest I agree with as that is how we do it. Laminating? You do walk on water. hahahaha
I use it all the time it was only $55 and I use it for my menu's, signs, guest infomation folders all sorts. i also have a cone binding machine which i use for all sorts of making booklets. I hate being inconveienced with things like making copies so I like to have all my equipment to hand when an idea hits.

RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
I love my Samsung wi-fi printer. And on my Samsung Galaxy S II mobile phone, I have Samsung Mobile Print, so I can print a web page, from my phone or a PDF.... I can even order my printer to scan a page to my phone.
Can guests print to it without downloading anything?

So odd this demand of printing of boarding passes as every airport in the world has the kiosks where you check in and print them..
Yeah, but...if you fly Southwest you can check-in 24 hours in advance and then you have a better chance of getting an "A" instead of a "C" - with A boarding first since it is open seating and you sit wherever you want. First come, first served so to speak. I love Southwest - great prices and no baggage fees! And they don't change flights on me 2 weeks after I make a reservation like the formerly known as Northwest airlines!

So odd this demand of printing of boarding passes as every airport in the world has the kiosks where you check in and print them..
Yeah, but...if you fly Southwest you can check-in 24 hours in advance and then you have a better chance of getting an "A" instead of a "C" - with A boarding first since it is open seating and you sit wherever you want. First come, first served so to speak. I love Southwest - great prices and no baggage fees! And they don't change flights on me 2 weeks after I make a reservation like the formerly known as Northwest airlines!
I also like the Delta app where I can check-in ahead of time with my phone.
regular_smile.gif
And then use the phone reader at the gate.
I can't wait for Southwest to finally start flying out of the big airport near us!! Supposed to be coming this year......

regular_smile.gif
I can't wait for Southwest to finally start flying out of the big airport near us!! Supposed to be coming this year......
Yep, SW needs to be going out of more cities - I agree!

regular_smile.gif
Yep, SW needs to be going out of more cities - I agree!
I flew SW all the time when I lived in TX....obviously. Plus, I flew SW all the time on business so I had plenty of free tickets. Their rewards program is simple, with few gimmicks. I have about 80K miles now with another major airline and can't buy a ticket where I want to go.
cry_smile.gif

RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:
It's on TCP as an lpr, so I would guess so. But then they wouldn't be able to print graphics as that would need a driver. The driver should automatically install though, if you have installed it properly.
For the phone, I did need to install and android app.

Back