AWOL in the middle of the night

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishgal

Reaction score
Our guests last weekend left in the middle of the night. Left a short note about a "family emergency". I charged the card and put the receipt in with a thank you note. Haven't heard from them since. Tink they didn't want our Irish breakfast? :)
H~

Could have also been a "rendezvous"
wink_smile.gif

Maybe they really did have an emergency...
bummer, though.
=/
Kk..
They could have had a real emergency...you never know. At least they left a note.
Speaking of possible "rendezvous" type reservations. I got a call today for a reservation & the gentleman told me that he preferred not to give the name of his lady companion. I know what I did. What would y'all do???

We had a couple come in 2 separate cars... the guy to play golf and wife to join him for dinner afterwards. When I asked about breakfast they said they would have to leave early so no breakfast. After dinner, they went clubbing and they pulled into our driveway (2 separate cars) about 2:30 am but never came into the house... so they must have already put their belongings in the car after dinner and I didn't notice. They never did come into the house, they just sat there in the car for a few minutes and then left... that was strange. I then remembered that they had forgotten to take a house key with them, so they must have not wanted to wake us up and decided to drive back home.
Samster, I think I would have said that I need to have the names of all guests coming to our house for security reasons and that all information is confidential.. I ran that by my DH and he said the same... that information would be considered confidential unless their were doing something illegal and then, that confidentiality would be broken - all bets would be off.

bummer, though.
=/
Kk..
They could have had a real emergency...you never know. At least they left a note.
Speaking of possible "rendezvous" type reservations. I got a call today for a reservation & the gentleman told me that he preferred not to give the name of his lady companion. I know what I did. What would y'all do???
I take lots of reservations that are just in one name and don't really think much about it. I guess I'm used to making travel reservations in my own name, also (when I used to travel
confused_smile.gif
) and I often didn't give my DH's name. Of course, giving his name wouldn't tell anybody anything since I didn't change my name when we married.
Could be a rendezvous, could be a writer travelling incognito...I really don't pay any attention. Mentioning it is kind of a weird thing to do if he doesn't want to call attention to the fact. But, in the end I would say it's not my business.

bummer, though.
=/
Kk..
Samster said:
I'd say, 'Then make something up so I'm not calling her "Mrs Smith" at breakfast.'

bummer, though.
=/
Kk..
Samster said:
I'd say, 'Then make something up so I'm not calling her "Mrs Smith" at breakfast.'
Hah! I never remember names anyway... sometimes I spend most of breakfast trying to figure out which room they are in.

bummer, though.
=/
Kk..
Samster said:
Hah! I never remember names anyway... sometimes I spend most of breakfast trying to figure out which room they are in.
muirford said:
I am so glad you said that! Yesterday, when the family of 6 checked in I asked the kids their names as mom had negected to provide that info when she booked. I've get them all memorized and which kid goes with which name, but mom & dad? not a clue!

bummer, though.
=/
Kk..
Samster said:
How about these:
Why not? Is she famous? Are you concerned we can't be discreet?
Why not, are you embarassed by her?
Why not, don't you know her name?
Ah, yes, we understand completely. (Then you talk him into the most expensive, private room and your upgraded 'room service' menu!)
Ya know, it's the whole 'coy' thing that annoys me. Do you expect me to wink right aong with you as you cheat on your spouse? Yeesh. Just make up a name and tell your 'lady friend' this is who she is in public for the weekend. Heck, that would certainly spice things up a bit.
So, what did you do?

bummer, though.
=/
Kk..
There is no law about requiring the other guest's name that I know of.
Maybe they are famous and do not want anyone to know they are there. BTW you have some really great groups/bands/stars who come to your town, as you told me the other inn hosted a few there. I wouldn't worry about it.
Privacy, security, whatever the reason. I get the other persons name probably less than 50% of the time. As long as I know there are TWO of them. Once in a while I get a phone call and it makes me wonder then some old grey headed grandparents check in and I laugh at myself. Saying "Yeah better keep all those other rooms locked up there!"
teeth_smile.gif

Good point J,
I make all rez in my own name as well. Most places never ask for both names.
But in my experience as an innkeeper I test the waters by asking questions like "Oh is this a special ocassion." Then they tell me "oh no, Sara and I just need a break from the kids"

bummer, though.
=/
Kk..
Maybe they are famous and do not want anyone to know they are there. BTW you have some really great groups/bands/stars who come to your town, as you told me the other inn hosted a few there. I wouldn't worry about it.
Privacy, security, whatever the reason. I get the other persons name probably less than 50% of the time. As long as I know there are TWO of them. Once in a while I get a phone call and it makes me wonder then some old grey headed grandparents check in and I laugh at myself. Saying "Yeah better keep all those other rooms locked up there!"
teeth_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I think there might be in some states/towns. I thought we were supposed to get everyone's name here. It doesn't always happen, tho. I try to at least get first names.

bummer, though.
=/
Kk..
teeth_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I think there might be in some states/towns. I thought we were supposed to get everyone's name here. It doesn't always happen, tho. I try to at least get first names.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I have never seen that. In fact thinking back I have never given both of our names any place we have ever rented a room or even a condo. He/She who holds the credit card holds the keys.

bummer, though.
=/
Kk..
Here's what I said, "Oh, that's fine...I'll be sure to meet her when you check in." hahahahahaha!
I do want to know who's in the house in case of emergency....all I need is her first name to make sure what name to call her if there is a problem, God forbid.

bummer, though.
=/
Kk..
Here's what I said, "Oh, that's fine...I'll be sure to meet her when you check in." hahahahahaha!
I do want to know who's in the house in case of emergency....all I need is her first name to make sure what name to call her if there is a problem, God forbid.
Samster said:
On another thread we discussed those guests who we never even saw. It happens. Didn't you have that already in your next store accomo's?

We had a couple come in 2 separate cars... the guy to play golf and wife to join him for dinner afterwards. When I asked about breakfast they said they would have to leave early so no breakfast. After dinner, they went clubbing and they pulled into our driveway (2 separate cars) about 2:30 am but never came into the house... so they must have already put their belongings in the car after dinner and I didn't notice. They never did come into the house, they just sat there in the car for a few minutes and then left... that was strange. I then remembered that they had forgotten to take a house key with them, so they must have not wanted to wake us up and decided to drive back home.
Samster, I think I would have said that I need to have the names of all guests coming to our house for security reasons and that all information is confidential.. I ran that by my DH and he said the same... that information would be considered confidential unless their were doing something illegal and then, that confidentiality would be broken - all bets would be off..
We have a lot of "meet in the middle". As long as one of them has a valid credit card that is not honked beyond the limit..... I am not the morality police.

Back