B&B/apartment complex near UVA gets approval from Planning Commission - INN the news 12.31.08

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']B&B/apartment complex near UVA gets approval from Planning Commission[/FONT]
Charlottesville Tomorrow News Center - Charlottesville,VA,USA
The Charlottesville Planning Commission has granted a special use permit that will allow a developer to operate a 27-room bed and breakfast and 36-unit ...

This is horrible for our B&B's in Charlottsville. Riki did you already hear about this?
Since when is 27 rooms a Bed and Breakfast?

"[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Deputy’s strategy of reaching out to neighbors appears to have paid off. In July, Jane Foster of Gildersleeve Wood made a public hearing comment that she was opposed to the project. Five months later, she rose to express her support. However, she thanked the Commission for agreeing to revisit the bed and breakfast bedroom limitation. The City’s definition of a bed and breakfast does not currently have a bedroom limit. The Commission will examine this issue in 2009."[/COLOR]

You can add comments to that article, fyi, not sure if they will appear or not.
Since when is 27 rooms a Bed and Breakfast? That is called a HOTEL! According to everything I have read a B&B is typically under 5 rooms in the state of Virginia and all its local municipalities.
Also a "developer" is not an innkeeper. Amazing how things can pass if someone wants them too. This is a shame.
Article said: "Residents argued the use of the land for additional housing would create too much traffic, citing a traffic model that projected an increase of 347 vehicle trips a day because of the new use."
But then there is this, so I guess it is A-ok: "At least four bicycles must be made available for use by B&B guests." I wonder how far it is to pedal to Monticello?
Come on, this is just absurd. Call it what it is, a hotel. But then you wouldn't have approved it.

It is kind of amazing, that folks who want to open a real B&B are thwarted by covenants and licensing, and here a B&B is a protected class of operation, thus allowing a bastardization of 'B&B' accommodations. These folks played the town and won.

It is kind of amazing, that folks who want to open a real B&B are thwarted by covenants and licensing, and here a B&B is a protected class of operation, thus allowing a bastardization of 'B&B' accommodations. These folks played the town and won..
Bree said:
It is kind of amazing, that folks who want to open a real B&B are thwarted by covenants and licensing, and here a B&B is a protected class of operation, thus allowing a bastardization of 'B&B' accommodations. These folks played the town and won.
You and I remember all R went through to get a SIGN on her own land in that part of the country. Money talks, that is all there is too it. Catch a little rain water, lend a couple bikes and bob's yer uncle.

It is kind of amazing, that folks who want to open a real B&B are thwarted by covenants and licensing, and here a B&B is a protected class of operation, thus allowing a bastardization of 'B&B' accommodations. These folks played the town and won..
Bree said:
These folks played the town and won.
Played or paid??? We see this all the time here with the powers that be. It is amazing what a little palm rubbing will land you. Or a newly found cousin named Bubba!

It took my comment. I asked about maximum occupancy per room and spoke to the 4 bicycles for 27 rooms that are supposed to cut down on traffic. I also told them this "Special Use" permit was an insult to Virginia bed & breakfasts.

This is ridiculous. Something is going on here. I suspect that most innkeepers in C'ville are not aware of this or else we would have heard something. I have shared with a few there to see what they have to say.

So now someone posted a comment promoting their directory. From this forum I am confident.
confused_smile.gif

Well the more comments the better, knowing that people are not pleased.

We have many guests who have either come from C'ville or going to C'ville next stop. MOST are not in a B&B. I try to catch them and recommend them so they can experience the B&B's in C'Ville and nearby Waynesboro. I will say, many will tell me they attempted to and had two reasons for not staying in a B&B - 1) they were already booked up, or 2) had a 2 night minimum (they only wanted one night).

One more thing that I found pretty interesting:
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]"Commissioner Genevieve Keller praises project for providing reduced rent for tenants without cars"[/COLOR]
Sheesh I can see tenants without cars at most low income housing apartments! They have their heads screwed on backwards. This just seems totally illegal, "You get reduced rent if you don't own a car" what flippin' country is this anyway?

So now someone posted a comment promoting their directory. From this forum I am confident.
confused_smile.gif

Well the more comments the better, knowing that people are not pleased..
Well I just spoke with a friend and she said one of them actually took the aspiring innkeeper class from BBAV! She didn't seem too upset about this but didn't realize it had gotten to the size of a hotel!! So that could change things. It is in a pretty noisy area near the university so doubts it would attract a B & B goer. We'll see what more develops.

People I know from here who go there are going to UVA for medical purposes. Your C'Ville innkeepers can tell us what % of guests use their B&B's for family undergoing treatment.

confused_smile.gif

Well I just spoke with a friend and she said one of them actually took the aspiring innkeeper class from BBAV! She didn't seem too upset about this but didn't realize it had gotten to the size of a hotel!! So that could change things. It is in a pretty noisy area near the university so doubts it would attract a B & B goer. We'll see what more develops.
catlady said:
....doubts it would attract a B & B goer. ...
But just having 'bed and breakfast' in the name would attract some and hurts the industry. I would be all in favor of an organization such as PAII trying to get with each state and making a universial definition, if you will, for constitutes a bed and breakfast. My DH has read some states rules on this issue...some say no more than 5 room, others say 10, some say it must be in a family home, innkeeper occupied, other states no rules.
Then of course you have B&B dot com and the like, who use the bed and breakfast name but allow larger businesses to pay for listings because it brings more money in their pockets...and drives up the cost to be a member. So they too, are not helping our industry keep boundries. We have seen larger hotels use the bed and breakfast name on their signs and in their promotions. (I read a few years back where FL made all hotels remove those words from their signs).
No wonder there are a lot of sceptical people out there unsure of booking at a 'bed and breakfast'.
Whew!!! ... As you can see this is one of my pet peeves!

confused_smile.gif

I didn't see a comment about a directory...just comments from VA innkeeper and WV innkeeper.

[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]"Commissioner Genevieve Keller praises project for providing reduced rent for tenants without cars"[/COLOR]
Sheesh I can see tenants without cars at most low income housing apartments! They have their heads screwed on backwards. This just seems totally illegal, "You get reduced rent if you don't own a car" what flippin' country is this anyway?.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Sheesh I can see tenants without cars at most low income housing apartments! They have their heads screwed on backwards. This just seems totally illegal, "You get reduced rent if you don't own a car" what flippin' country is this anyway?
Usually, in a city, if you own a car, your garage space costs more per year than your rent. But, that's an option. Own a car, pay to store it. Interesting that if you don't have a car you get a reduction in rent. Who is going to police that? Quite a few of our guests don't own cars, they use public transport to get around and rent a car to go on vacation.

confused_smile.gif

catlady said:
But just having 'bed and breakfast' in the name would attract some and hurts the industry. I would be all in favor of an organization such as PAII trying to get with each state and making a universial definition, if you will, for constitutes a bed and breakfast. My DH has read some states rules on this issue...some say no more than 5 room, others say 10, some say it must be in a family home, innkeeper occupied, other states no rules.
Then of course you have B&B dot com and the like, who use the bed and breakfast name but allow larger businesses to pay for listings because it brings more money in their pockets...and drives up the cost to be a member. So they too, are not helping our industry keep boundries. We have seen larger hotels use the bed and breakfast name on their signs and in their promotions. (I read a few years back where FL made all hotels remove those words from their signs).
No wonder there are a lot of sceptical people out there unsure of booking at a 'bed and breakfast'.
Whew!!! ... As you can see this is one of my pet peeves!
Copperhead said:
catlady said:
Then of course you have B&B dot com and the like, who use the bed and breakfast name but allow larger businesses to pay for listings because it brings more money in their pockets...and drives up the cost to be a member. So they too, are not helping our industry keep boundries.
I don't think they check at all to see who is signing up...they had a bunch of hostels on there awhile ago. $29/night, shared bedroom.
I agree that some sort of framework for what constitutes a B&B/Inn is in order.

confused_smile.gif

I didn't see a comment about a directory...just comments from VA innkeeper and WV innkeeper.
Bree said:
It has been removed. I just looked. Interesting. Not sure if you can remove your own comments, but it is gone now.

Sheesh I can see tenants without cars at most low income housing apartments! They have their heads screwed on backwards. This just seems totally illegal, "You get reduced rent if you don't own a car" what flippin' country is this anyway?.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Usually, in a city, if you own a car, your garage space costs more per year than your rent. But, that's an option. Own a car, pay to store it. Interesting that if you don't have a car you get a reduction in rent. Who is going to police that? Quite a few of our guests don't own cars, they use public transport to get around and rent a car to go on vacation.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
This is not NY, it is in the hills of VA. A city, yes, a metro - uh not sure if you could call it that.

People I know from here who go there are going to UVA for medical purposes. Your C'Ville innkeepers can tell us what % of guests use their B&B's for family undergoing treatment..
I have not heard of many. Though one of my friends has a B & B right across from the Medical Center. I will have to ask him.

Back