B&B Associations

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbinnsitters

Reaction score
How many of you out there belong to a local (not state) B&B Association where you get together once a month or 4 times a year? If so, what are the membership rules/guidelines? Do you let any B&B join or is there a limit to the number of members allowed. If the Inn is not run by the owner would you allow the Interim Innkeeper to join?

I do. We really have no rules or guidelines, just all rowing in the same direction. We have owner/Innkeepers and hired innkeepers as members.

I do. We really have no rules or guidelines, just all rowing in the same direction. We have owner/Innkeepers and hired innkeepers as members..
"Rowing in the same direction" - I like that! Does that mean that if you are full you will give out numbers to the other B&B's in your area? Or if you don't have something that the person is looking for (like fireplaces or Handicap accessible) do you refer them to someone who does? (I forgot to ask that!)

When we started our group it was opened up to all B&B's in town. Once we decided it was time to use the group for marketing, we lost a lot of members who didn't want to pay for the website and any kind of promo work. They basically said they had enough biz without paying dues to get more. ($100/yr)
I would say if someone was running an inn, doing all of the work, why not join? Not being the owner doesn't generally mean the person isn't doing most of the work and dealing with most of the problems!
We don't really have any rules. We like to have a quorum for decisions, but sometimes 'decision by committee' ranks right up there with a million little cuts.

The members of my State Assoc are so spread out, there are very few areas where they are close enough to have a local or especially regional group (one State Region is so large we split it in 2 for Board representation covereage).
I cannot speak for others, but I know I give out the numbers of other B & Bs - especially if they are looking for something I do not have. I also give the numbers of other inns that are closer to the drstination - even if it is doable from me - because I feel that is best for the guest. I hope others are doing the same but even if they are not, I need to be able to look in the mirror.

When we started our group it was opened up to all B&B's in town. Once we decided it was time to use the group for marketing, we lost a lot of members who didn't want to pay for the website and any kind of promo work. They basically said they had enough biz without paying dues to get more. ($100/yr)
I would say if someone was running an inn, doing all of the work, why not join? Not being the owner doesn't generally mean the person isn't doing most of the work and dealing with most of the problems!
We don't really have any rules. We like to have a quorum for decisions, but sometimes 'decision by committee' ranks right up there with a million little cuts..
Morticia,
Do you feel you get your moneys worth from the $100 yearly fee? Are there any other fees throughout the year? I have seen some Associations charge anywhere between $100 - $235/yr and some have extra fees. So, no rules - meaning you don't have to "pass inspection" or follow certain guidelines?

We don't really have any rules. We like to have a quorum for decisions, but sometimes 'decision by committee' ranks right up there with a million little cuts..
Morticia,
Do you feel you get your moneys worth from the $100 yearly fee? Are there any other fees throughout the year? I have seen some Associations charge anywhere between $100 - $235/yr and some have extra fees. So, no rules - meaning you don't have to "pass inspection" or follow certain guidelines?
If we decide to buy advertising we'll ask for more money based on the ad. Other than that, tho, it's pretty much the $100 just for incidentals like printing brochures to hand out at shows.
There are groups here that charge $5000 for membership, so I think we're pretty easy going in re money!
We are a group of like-minded owners who like to get together so we don't feel 'alone' so, no, we don't have inspections (whose criteria would we use?) or other rules.

Morticia,
If we decide to buy advertising we'll ask for more money based on the ad. Other than that, tho, it's pretty much the $100 just for incidentals like printing brochures to hand out at shows.
There are groups here that charge $5000 for membership, so I think we're pretty easy going in re money!
We are a group of like-minded owners who like to get together so we don't feel 'alone' so, no, we don't have inspections (whose criteria would we use?) or other rules.
That makes sense - if the group decides to do something extra special then ask for more money! Otherwise there is too much $ in the pot and for a non-profit organization that would not be a good idea, right? Anyone know the rules on that one?

Morticia,
That makes sense - if the group decides to do something extra special then ask for more money! Otherwise there is too much $ in the pot and for a non-profit organization that would not be a good idea, right? Anyone know the rules on that one?
This is a loose association. No paperwork has been filed making us any kind of corporation, profit or otherwise. If that were required, we wouldn't collect any money at all.

I do. We really have no rules or guidelines, just all rowing in the same direction. We have owner/Innkeepers and hired innkeepers as members..
"Rowing in the same direction" - I like that! Does that mean that if you are full you will give out numbers to the other B&B's in your area? Or if you don't have something that the person is looking for (like fireplaces or Handicap accessible) do you refer them to someone who does? (I forgot to ask that!)
suellen222 said:
We built a group website for the keepers in the county, and consider ourselves to be a loose group. Nowadays, it's far more social than business, and we get together a couple of times a year and one Inn or another for a "whine and pizza" party. We used to require that all Inns were members of our state association...that has since gone to crap, and several of us have dropped out of the state association. Now, if you have an Inn, and you want to work with the rest of us to keep business in the county, you're in!
Our site has webervations group availability. One button and you can see which of our eight members has rooms for your dates. Webervations will set up a group availability for you FREE assuming that each member already has a webervations account. On my webervations page, I have it set up that the "nothing available" screen has a link to the group website with a note to "check availability at other area Inns".
Thus, when we are full, I can quickly check to see who still has rooms open, or refer a family to a family-friendly place, or place a guest in the area they are most interested in (our group is a county group). We also have a ton of area information on the site.
That being said, it took a couple of years for me to convince the other keepers in the county to do this, and group decisions are hard to come by. Generally, there are two or three of us that make all the decisions, and the rest are happy just to send in a check. Right now, members simply cover the cost of the website, as any print adv we've done in the past was a bust.

suellen222 said:
We built a group website for the keepers in the county, and consider ourselves to be a loose group. Nowadays, it's far more social than business, and we get together a couple of times a year and one Inn or another for a "whine and pizza" party. We used to require that all Inns were members of our state association...that has since gone to crap, and several of us have dropped out of the state association. Now, if you have an Inn, and you want to work with the rest of us to keep business in the county, you're in!
Our site has webervations group availability. One button and you can see which of our eight members has rooms for your dates. Webervations will set up a group availability for you FREE assuming that each member already has a webervations account. On my webervations page, I have it set up that the "nothing available" screen has a link to the group website with a note to "check availability at other area Inns".
Thus, when we are full, I can quickly check to see who still has rooms open, or refer a family to a family-friendly place, or place a guest in the area they are most interested in (our group is a county group). We also have a ton of area information on the site.
That being said, it took a couple of years for me to convince the other keepers in the county to do this, and group decisions are hard to come by. Generally, there are two or three of us that make all the decisions, and the rest are happy just to send in a check. Right now, members simply cover the cost of the website, as any print adv we've done in the past was a bust.
We have our own website, too, with an availability calendar. Not everyone is on Webervations so it just shows there is avail and you can click to see the individual inn's calendar and prices.

Back