B&B .com promotion

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Samster,
The $50 is not actually deducted from what the inn received. The inn receives the same amount the day before the promo started, or the day after it started. The $50 comes out of our pocket. As far as attracting the "wrong" people, we've certainly heard that point before and understand how it is a real issue. We really get it from both sides - a lot of innkeepers ask us what we are doing to get new folks to stay at B&B's, and what we are doing to help stimulate midweek/business demand since that is one area where a lot of B&B's seem to have vacancies.
We don't believe that B&B's are just about price - but price certainly is a factor. Countless B&B's run discounts and specials, and even five-star hotel chains like Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton offer all kinds of special rates. Ideally we'd like to get that midweek Hyatt or Hilton customer to give a B&B a try so that their eyes open up to how great it is to stay at a B&B - then they'll become repeats, tell their friends, and help expand the market. In all of our marketing, we try to use upscale imagery, rich content, etc. to convey the luxury aspect of the stays that our member properties offer..
JBanczak said:
Hi Samster,
We don't believe that B&B's are just about price - but price certainly is a factor. Countless B&B's run discounts and specials, and even five-star hotel chains like Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton offer all kinds of special rates. Ideally we'd like to get that midweek Hyatt or Hilton customer to give a B&B a try so that their eyes open up to how great it is to stay at a B&B - then they'll become repeats, tell their friends, and help expand the market. In all of our marketing, we try to use upscale imagery, rich content, etc. to convey the luxury aspect of the stays that our member properties offer.
John- If the above statement about 'upscale imagery' etc is really true, then you absolutely cannot showcase 'See more inns from $35/night' as the reason guests should click the links in that promo. I was stunned to see a hostel listed under the $50 off promo. There is nothing 'luxurious' about 'remember you may be sharing a room with a person of the same sex'.

Hi Samster,
The $50 is not actually deducted from what the inn received. The inn receives the same amount the day before the promo started, or the day after it started. The $50 comes out of our pocket. As far as attracting the "wrong" people, we've certainly heard that point before and understand how it is a real issue. We really get it from both sides - a lot of innkeepers ask us what we are doing to get new folks to stay at B&B's, and what we are doing to help stimulate midweek/business demand since that is one area where a lot of B&B's seem to have vacancies.
We don't believe that B&B's are just about price - but price certainly is a factor. Countless B&B's run discounts and specials, and even five-star hotel chains like Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton offer all kinds of special rates. Ideally we'd like to get that midweek Hyatt or Hilton customer to give a B&B a try so that their eyes open up to how great it is to stay at a B&B - then they'll become repeats, tell their friends, and help expand the market. In all of our marketing, we try to use upscale imagery, rich content, etc. to convey the luxury aspect of the stays that our member properties offer..
J, I'm not an owner yet, so haven't had much interface with bandb.com but as a guest I have found it to be an attractive, helpful website.
As an aspiring innkeeper, my question to you is, when you say "The $50 comes out of our pocket." who put that $50 in your pocket? As I understand it, your salary and business expenses are paid by innkeepers through yearly dues and commissions. As I've read on other threads, these yearly dues and commissions that you collect from innkeepers were significantly increased this year, since, as you say, your necessary costs are increasing.
So how do you determine what is a necessary cost to conduct your business? How was it decided that this $50 off to guests should be offered when innkeepers are struggling to swallow your new fees?
I know that, like B&Bs, each B&B directory is different and must market itself differently. It appears to me that your website is one of the more "upscale" (despite the $35/night lodging that you advertise), and I would expect that the cost of doing business with you would inherently be higher. That's your niche.
I don't necessarily disagree with the choices you've made to make your service to guests more upscale, but I find it misleading that you say, essentially, "Don't worry, I've got this one" if the innkeepers are the ones footing the bill in the long run through constant rate increases. I might buy the argument that you believe B&Bs should raise the bar on their marketing strategy and are acting on this premise, but it doesn't seem to me that a savvy businessman like yourself would really put himself or his company into debt to offer a promotion like this.
I think transparency into these types of decisions would be appreciated by those who end up footing the bill.

Hi Samster,
JBanczak said:
Hi Samster,
We don't believe that B&B's are just about price - but price certainly is a factor. Countless B&B's run discounts and specials, and even five-star hotel chains like Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton offer all kinds of special rates. Ideally we'd like to get that midweek Hyatt or Hilton customer to give a B&B a try so that their eyes open up to how great it is to stay at a B&B - then they'll become repeats, tell their friends, and help expand the market. In all of our marketing, we try to use upscale imagery, rich content, etc. to convey the luxury aspect of the stays that our member properties offer.
John- If the above statement about 'upscale imagery' etc is really true, then you absolutely cannot showcase 'See more inns from $35/night' as the reason guests should click the links in that promo. I was stunned to see a hostel listed under the $50 off promo. There is nothing 'luxurious' about 'remember you may be sharing a room with a person of the same sex'.
I agree that the this property is not exactly luxury… nor would it be a property that appeals to me personally. The problem we always run into is with the wide range of properties and innkeepers that consider themselves some type of a B&B. This property in particular has been on the site since 1998, and I just checked their history – we do not have any consumer complaints about them. In fact, you can read their reviews by clicking here: http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/ShowReviews.aspx?inn=221277&m=1#s1969719.
In terms of highlighting this property, we’ve figured out the reason why it is showing up and we are trying to do something about it. For this specific promotion for online reservation properties, we pull the price from the lowest price entered by area properties. This is a price that a B&B enters themselves. Unfortunately it is hard to police them to see what price is good for when, and who has that available. The price range was pulled automatically – it wasn’t something that our marketing people put together – and it just so happened it was for this property. We are trying to figure out a better way to do this, although many times we are at the mercy of the data entered by B&B’s since we can’t possibly be verifying every single piece of information entered. Hopefully we’ll figure something out on this asap.[COLOR= #1f497d][/COLOR]

Hi Samster,
J, I'm not an owner yet, so haven't had much interface with bandb.com but as a guest I have found it to be an attractive, helpful website.
As an aspiring innkeeper, my question to you is, when you say "The $50 comes out of our pocket." who put that $50 in your pocket? As I understand it, your salary and business expenses are paid by innkeepers through yearly dues and commissions. As I've read on other threads, these yearly dues and commissions that you collect from innkeepers were significantly increased this year, since, as you say, your necessary costs are increasing.
So how do you determine what is a necessary cost to conduct your business? How was it decided that this $50 off to guests should be offered when innkeepers are struggling to swallow your new fees?
I know that, like B&Bs, each B&B directory is different and must market itself differently. It appears to me that your website is one of the more "upscale" (despite the $35/night lodging that you advertise), and I would expect that the cost of doing business with you would inherently be higher. That's your niche.
I don't necessarily disagree with the choices you've made to make your service to guests more upscale, but I find it misleading that you say, essentially, "Don't worry, I've got this one" if the innkeepers are the ones footing the bill in the long run through constant rate increases. I might buy the argument that you believe B&Bs should raise the bar on their marketing strategy and are acting on this premise, but it doesn't seem to me that a savvy businessman like yourself would really put himself or his company into debt to offer a promotion like this.
I think transparency into these types of decisions would be appreciated by those who end up footing the bill.
Hi Stephanie,
I understand where you are coming from on this – we are an intermediary between the inn and the consumer – but this promotion really isn’t tied to any pricing increase. We are hearing right not from a lot of innkeepers that their business is down, and we are also hearing that hotels are cutting rates – and hotel websites are cutting rates. So we have tried to drum up some business by running a promo like this. It seems to me what you are saying is something to the effect of “if BedandBreakfast.com didn’t offer consumer promos like this – then they wouldn’t have to raise their prices…” and I do not think the two are correlated.
Across the internet – we compete not only with B&B directories, but the big hotel companies and hotel websites as well, and we also have to keep a pulse on what is driving consumer behavior. Every B&B may not agree with our marketing decisions, but we react and respond here much like an innkeeper would with their own specials, packages, and offers. With the economy the way it is, and with other lodging options offering discounts, we wanted to make sure we were competitive. Consumers are definitely looking for deals right now, and we wanted to have an offer for them as well.[COLOR= #1f497d][/COLOR]

Hi Samster,
Hi Stephanie,
I understand where you are coming from on this – we are an intermediary between the inn and the consumer – but this promotion really isn’t tied to any pricing increase. We are hearing right not from a lot of innkeepers that their business is down, and we are also hearing that hotels are cutting rates – and hotel websites are cutting rates. So we have tried to drum up some business by running a promo like this. It seems to me what you are saying is something to the effect of “if BedandBreakfast.com didn’t offer consumer promos like this – then they wouldn’t have to raise their prices…” and I do not think the two are correlated.
Across the internet – we compete not only with B&B directories, but the big hotel companies and hotel websites as well, and we also have to keep a pulse on what is driving consumer behavior. Every B&B may not agree with our marketing decisions, but we react and respond here much like an innkeeper would with their own specials, packages, and offers. With the economy the way it is, and with other lodging options offering discounts, we wanted to make sure we were competitive. Consumers are definitely looking for deals right now, and we wanted to have an offer for them as well.[COLOR= #1f497d][/COLOR]
With the economy the way it is, and with other lodging options offering discounts, we wanted to make sure we were competitive. Consumers are definitely looking for deals right now, and we wanted to have an offer for them as well.
John, you just said it all! Just what we have been telling bandb!! With the economy the way it is, and with other lodging options offering discounts WE are YOUR consumers. WE are looking for deals. WE NEED deals too if WE are going to survive. Do the users of your web site pay you anything? No! It is the fees/commissions from the innkeepers that are paying you. Yes, the innkeeper is paying you to deliver guests but that basically means having a clean, clear, crisp, attractive, easy to navigate web site so the potential guest can find us easily and quickly.

Hi Samster,
Hi Stephanie,
JBanczak said:
We are hearing right not from a lot of innkeepers that their business is down, and we are also hearing that hotels are cutting rates – and hotel websites are cutting rates.
Yep, it is. We've been toying with rate cutting here, too.
sad_smile.gif

How 'bout you?
wink_smile.gif

=)
Kk.

Okay just for clarification a directory pays for nothing IN THIS PROMOTION. It is the INNS themselves. The directory is just the animal to get the information out to the public. Sort of like a co-op.
If you SAVE $50 it is the inn offering you a discount. If you Buy One Night Get One Night Free - the Inn is paying for the second night. All costs involved.
Thank you for bringing this up, as we don't realize how many guests think it is some association or something that is footing the bill.
We pay to be on the directory, we pay annually. We pay for anything and everything. Which is what the stink was about on the other thread with less than appropriate notice given that now if YOU HAND ME a Gift Card with BandB.com printed on it, I will now get $80 on the room instead of what you are paying with it, $100. You pay with a $100 gift card - we get paid $80. We cannot say NO DISCOUNTS to those guests, so if I gave you a $10 off discount or $15 military discount - I am now getting $65.
So from $100 down to $65. Add into that food costs, flowers, electricity, extras like afternoon snacks or drinks, cleaning help (if applicable), time and work involved, and you come out with ...a headache..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Okay just for clarification a directory pays for nothing IN THIS PROMOTION. It is the INNS themselves. The directory is just the animal to get the information out to the public. Sort of like a co-op.
If you SAVE $50 it is the inn offering you a discount. If you Buy One Night Get One Night Free - the Inn is paying for the second night. All costs involved.
Thank you for bringing this up, as we don't realize how many guests think it is some association or something that is footing the bill.
We pay to be on the directory, we pay annually. We pay for anything and everything. Which is what the stink was about on the other thread with less than appropriate notice given that now if YOU HAND ME a Gift Card with BandB.com printed on it, I will now get $80 on the room instead of what you are paying with it, $100. You pay with a $100 gift card - we get paid $80. We cannot say NO DISCOUNTS to those guests, so if I gave you a $10 off discount or $15 military discount - I am now getting $65.
So from $100 down to $65. Add into that food costs, flowers, electricity, extras like afternoon snacks or drinks, cleaning help (if applicable), time and work involved, and you come out with ...a headache.
I really knew the answer before I asked, but since this was the first time that I remember getting an email from them with a discount code attached to it I was curious. What I really want to know is, does B&B.com email/mail and let you know what they are going to do and ask if you want to participate? Or do the Inns that you can automatically book while on B&B.com's website have to participate (the email says the Inns participating are the ones with the green "book" button) What if someone books using that code but they are NOT on business? I'm sure there's no way to really check.
What I really want to know is, does B&B.com email/mail and let you know what they are going to do and ask if you want to participate?
Well, that's an interesting point, because I received an e-mail asking to participate and I did not respond or sign up to participate and I have a green button, and I am not offering that promo...so i wonder who will be paying for it if someone tries to book it, won't be me!
I know that guests cannot book specials through bandb.com, they have to book directly with the inns to get the specials, at least that's what they told me. i guess that's a plus for us, we don't have to pay the comission in that case, but we have to honor the special, but then the customer can't book it on bandb.com which would be inconvenient for them...
i think it would definitely be a major point of frustration for guests to try to figure out which inns will honor which specials...
they get aggravated enough trying to use the GC's when many do not accept them...

So from $100 down to $65. Add into that food costs, flowers, electricity, extras like afternoon snacks or drinks, cleaning help (if applicable), time and work involved, and you come out with ...a headache..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
So from $100 down to $65. Add into that food costs, flowers, electricity, extras like afternoon snacks or drinks, cleaning help (if applicable), time and work involved, and you come out with ...a headache.
I really knew the answer before I asked, but since this was the first time that I remember getting an email from them with a discount code attached to it I was curious. What I really want to know is, does B&B.com email/mail and let you know what they are going to do and ask if you want to participate? Or do the Inns that you can automatically book while on B&B.com's website have to participate (the email says the Inns participating are the ones with the green "book" button) What if someone books using that code but they are NOT on business? I'm sure there's no way to really check.
What I really want to know is, does B&B.com email/mail and let you know what they are going to do and ask if you want to participate?
Well, that's an interesting point, because I received an e-mail asking to participate and I did not respond or sign up to participate and I have a green button, and I am not offering that promo...so i wonder who will be paying for it if someone tries to book it, won't be me!
I know that guests cannot book specials through bandb.com, they have to book directly with the inns to get the specials, at least that's what they told me. i guess that's a plus for us, we don't have to pay the comission in that case, but we have to honor the special, but then the customer can't book it on bandb.com which would be inconvenient for them...
i think it would definitely be a major point of frustration for guests to try to figure out which inns will honor which specials...
they get aggravated enough trying to use the GC's when many do not accept them...
inncogneeto said:
What happens when all these GC's are sold and over half the Inns listed on BanB.com won't accept them? I am sure this is currently being discussed at the board table, as I know it is not this forum of innkeepers alone who have bailed on this fantastic Stick-it-to-ya GC prgm. (I am sure I will be quoted on that one)
My certain bet will be it will soon become mandatory for all B&B inns to accept GC's. My second bet is they will have Inns jumping ship like leapin' lemurs... I will not be renewing this year. I know of a few others who will not as well.
80051977_2817fc2135.jpg

F.decorate(_ge('photo_notes'), F._photo_notes).notes_go_go_go(80051977, 'http://farm1.static.flickr.com/39/80051977_2817fc2135_t.jpg', '3.1444');
moz-screenshot-11.jpg

moz-screenshot-10.jpg

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
inncogneeto said:
What happens when all these GC's are sold and over half the Inns listed on BanB.com won't accept them? I am sure this is currently being discussed at the board table, as I know it is not this forum of innkeepers alone who have bailed on this fantastic Stick-it-to-ya GC prgm. (I am sure I will be quoted on that one)
My certain bet will be it will soon become mandatory for all B&B inns to accept GC's. My second bet is they will have Inns jumping ship like leapin' lemurs... I will not be renewing this year. I know of a few others who will not as well.
80051977_2817fc2135.jpg

F.decorate(_ge('photo_notes'), F._photo_notes).notes_go_go_go(80051977, 'http://farm1.static.flickr.com/39/80051977_2817fc2135_t.jpg', '3.1444');
moz-screenshot-11.jpg

moz-screenshot-10.jpg

I have heard of other inns having to deal with cranky guests calling to book to find out the GCs are not accepted at the inns.
I only take my own and my association's GCs. Like you say, I would leave. This area books very well without having to discount anything other than two months out of the year, and I need every penny to pay off our building debt.
Riki

I said I would quit before and came back only when the ads that I objected to were gone. I have proven with my actions that when I say I will quit, I will. I run out in Feb and I am NOT renewing!

Update on the couple that called from the local motel. They were walking through the cemetary looking for their people's gravesites as Mike & Ginny were trying to find his grandparents (I showed them this morning as they were leaving) as the office was closed.
The subject had come up of if they were from here and when saying they were from PA and Mike & Ginny said Arizona but were staying at the Gillum House, the woman said they had almost stayed there but it was a shared bath. Kicker - in the conversation she mentions they have a Yorkie that travels everywhere with them (they cannot take their other dog because he yips) but she is very quiet and there are a lot of places that do not take dogs but they work around it. Ginny said it sounded to her like they sneak the dog in because it is small. Looks as if I dodged the bullet.

Back