B&B for Vets - Canada

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Harpie

Reaction score
Top of the Morning Folks;
With the caring and support of the countless USA B&Bs and seeing that this undertaking was such a tremendous success, I have contacted BBCanada.com (who have graciously accepted to spearhead this intitiative). Ergo, we are pleased to announce that in the very near future we will be adding B&B for Vets - Canada
What it entails, is that B&Bs across Canada will join the movement and provide 1-night accommodation to Serving or Retired Military personnel and their families absolutely FREE. Each B&B has the option of providing the free night on the 10 or 11th November 2011, and they will also individually decide on how many rooms within their B&B that they are offering.
The members would personally contact the participating B&Bs, and rooms are reserved on a first come-first served basis. I am not sure how many B&Bs will take part, but if the USA intitiative is any indication, then we should have an abundance of B&Bs signing up. The only stipulation is that members will have to produce a valid ID or Retirement ID.
USA retired and active military members and their families are most welcome and encouraged to avail themselves of the offer north of the border. You would be welcomed with open arms.
More to follow, and hope everyone is enjoying the summer.
Harry

Thank you for spearheading this effort in Canada. I am sure it will be successful.

Hi H,
Question for you since this is now international, are you only accepting Canadian military vets or any under the crown?
Since this is mostly about promotion now, I am asking as there are those who served in the Royal "this and that" in other countries who might want to take you up on the offer. :) If so, this is an additional media angle. Esp since you have many overseas visitors there.

Can you get yourselves involved and be on the PAII site "A better way to stay" as well?

Hi H,
Question for you since this is now international, are you only accepting Canadian military vets or any under the crown?
Since this is mostly about promotion now, I am asking as there are those who served in the Royal "this and that" in other countries who might want to take you up on the offer. :) If so, this is an additional media angle. Esp since you have many overseas visitors there..
Hey there!
I know for a fact that we will be honouring US and Canadian Vets and their families, but I can't see us turning down vets from from the British Empire, or for that matter, any of our Western Allies. Great question, as where does one draw the line - or does one?
Once the initiative is in full swing I will get back to you on the feelings of the participating B&Bs.
Our B&B provides a percentage to any/all guests from any/all nations that have either served in the Military, Police or as a Firefighter. Having personally spent 36 years in the Canadian Air Force, it is our small way of giving back.
Cheers
Harry

YES THANK YOU .Last year we tryed to get our province assn. to take this on only a few B&Bs did it. Maybe this year more will come aboard.

Can you get yourselves involved and be on the PAII site "A better way to stay" as well?.
Hi there;
Good question! I have spoken with BBCanada and they are in full liaison with A Better way to Stay, as the BBCanada Logo is already on their website.
Cheers
Harry

Hi H,
Since this is mostly about promotion now, I am asking as there are those who served in the Royal "this and that" in other countries who might want to take you up on the offer. :) If so, this is an additional media angle. Esp since you have many overseas visitors there..
Hey there!
I know for a fact that we will be honouring US and Canadian Vets and their families, but I can't see us turning down vets from from the British Empire, or for that matter, any of our Western Allies. Great question, as where does one draw the line - or does one?
Once the initiative is in full swing I will get back to you on the feelings of the participating B&Bs.
Our B&B provides a percentage to any/all guests from any/all nations that have either served in the Military, Police or as a Firefighter. Having personally spent 36 years in the Canadian Air Force, it is our small way of giving back.
Cheers
Harry
TuckedInntheHarbour said:
Hey there!
Cheers
Harry
I think the line is drawn by how many rooms you have. LOL

YEEHAA!! If they have a mil;itary ID, I do not care where they served, they GAVE. I want to say thank you.
It appears that this year, sign-up to participate is S L O W. There ar3e so few right now that it is downright embarrassing.

When I first read this, I thought the subject under discussion was about B&Bs for Veterinarians. Silly me :D
Did anyone else feel this way? Am I the only jerk?

When I first read this, I thought the subject under discussion was about B&Bs for Veterinarians. Silly me :D
Did anyone else feel this way? Am I the only jerk?.
Sorry I think we all knew what this was about...were you involved in the conversations here last year? If not, then you would not know the big success this awesome program had.

YEEHAA!! If they have a mil;itary ID, I do not care where they served, they GAVE. I want to say thank you.
It appears that this year, sign-up to participate is S L O W. There ar3e so few right now that it is downright embarrassing..
Uh oh...tells you something about who is in charge now? :-(

It appears that this year, sign-up to participate is S L O W. There ar3e so few right now that it is downright embarrassing..
Uh oh...tells you something about who is in charge now? :-(
I think it may be that folks think they have to be a member of PAII to participate and also I was sending e-mails to State Associations, Regional Associations, individual inns asking them to sign on. I am buried alive with must-dos until August 5. They ARE going to use the bnbsforvets.org for the Vets to locate an inn. Sign-up is on betterwaytostay.com.

Can you get yourselves involved and be on the PAII site "A better way to stay" as well?.
Hi there;
Good question! I have spoken with BBCanada and they are in full liaison with A Better way to Stay, as the BBCanada Logo is already on their website.
Cheers
Harry
Good Morning Harry,
Do you belong to the ( BCBBIG) ? As there are a few of us all ready doing this. I recieved some press in our local area. This year I hope to have it again.

How about a "blog" about it? maybe in interactive? I have e-mailed the link to the new Inn we are going to in October and they will be singing on-new boss was very excited about it. Maybe a mass e-mail to all the B & B associations?-just thinking.

How about a "blog" about it? maybe in interactive? I have e-mailed the link to the new Inn we are going to in October and they will be singing on-new boss was very excited about it. Maybe a mass e-mail to all the B & B associations?-just thinking..
birdwatcher said:
How about a "blog" about it? maybe in interactive? I have e-mailed the link to the new Inn we are going to in October and they will be singing on-new boss was very excited about it. Maybe a mass e-mail to all the B & B associations?-just thinking.
The blog is there and free. someone blog it.
whattha.gif
There are hundreds on this forum - go for it!

Hi there;
Cheers
Harry
Good Morning Harry,
Do you belong to the ( BCBBIG) ? As there are a few of us all ready doing this. I recieved some press in our local area. This year I hope to have it again.
Hi there;
No we are on Southern Georgian Bay in Ontario. We have been doing this since I retired from the Air Force, our little way of giving back. However, when I joined the American Initiative, which by the way was an overwhelming success in its inaugural year, I got to thinking why not get BBCanada involved and have them spearhead this initiative in Canada. There should be a newsletter from BBCanada shortly and I believe a link to join the group. I sincerely hope that many B&Bs jump on the band wagon. One day free accommodation won't hurt any B&B and the positive impact it will have on our troops both veteran and still serving will be tremendous. Thanks for doing this in BC, my hat's off to you and all the other participating B&Bs.
Cheers
Harry

Okay, I was just going to do one room but got two bookings so did both.
Now I am trying to explain to a vet that no, he cannot book Thursday and Friday.
Our weekends book Friday and Saturday with a wine tour.
I am not giving up $800 for a $275 night stay.
He did not understand when DH tried to explain this. Asked if we needed to see his ID???
I hope he can read the email and understand. I would have had this straightened out earlier but he must not check the email that he used to make the reservation - he's emailing me using a different email asking where is his confirmation...
**sigh**

Back