B&B Giveaways

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
I guess this falls under marketing...
We were at a very nice resort for a week and they do a raffle every few days (just put your name in, no email addy or any strings). I guess the winner gets various items but we WON! We received a huge tote bag full of very useful items with the resort name/logo on them. Easily worth a couple of hundred dollars retail.
I thought this might be a great promotion for a B&B as well, maybe with a BOGO gc or something. You could do it randomly or have an entry for a month or whatever. You could do this with minimal cost (like giving away a logo mug) to something more if you wished & with the BOGO it gets someone back to your place.
Has anyone done this. Thoughts??

Cool idea, Samster! I haven't participated in inn giveaways but I have with book site drawings.
Anyone interested in teaming up with me ( for a signed book), let me know and we'll work something out. ;)
Support query 2 Samster's idea: If U were 2 participate in such a giveaway, what prizes would U like 2 C offered? (No Mini-Coopers, diamonds or that kinda thing. Want those 4 myself lol). Fire away with ideas.

Cool idea, Samster! I haven't participated in inn giveaways but I have with book site drawings.
Anyone interested in teaming up with me ( for a signed book), let me know and we'll work something out. ;)
Support query 2 Samster's idea: If U were 2 participate in such a giveaway, what prizes would U like 2 C offered? (No Mini-Coopers, diamonds or that kinda thing. Want those 4 myself lol). Fire away with ideas..
For me, if I were to get a giveaway at a B&B, I would like items from the surrounding area. Special promos at shops, coupons, samples (non-perishable foods, etc).
What did you have in mind for the book idea?

I like Samster's idea a lot.
I am very curious to see what others come up with on this. I really don't feel like it's my place to give away your stuff...I'm only an innkeeper-to-be. Socks, what would that make me? A "prospective owner" = Prowner? A "soon to be owner"= Sooner?

I am very curious to see what others come up with on this. I really don't feel like it's my place to give away your stuff...I'm only an innkeeper-to-be. Socks, what would that make me? A "prospective owner" = Prowner? A "soon to be owner"= Sooner?.
Check the glossary on here but I think it depends on what stage of an innkeeper to be that you are.
Yes, bring on the ideas!
I like the local products idea but we also want folks to remember where we won all this great stuff!! So there should be something in there that carries our brand.

I am very curious to see what others come up with on this. I really don't feel like it's my place to give away your stuff...I'm only an innkeeper-to-be. Socks, what would that make me? A "prospective owner" = Prowner? A "soon to be owner"= Sooner?.
emspiers said:
I am very curious to see what others come up with on this. I really don't feel like it's my place to give away your stuff...I'm only an innkeeper-to-be. Socks, what would that make me? A "prospective owner" = Prowner? A "soon to be owner"= Sooner?
Mostly I just report the terms, not coin them. The one term I coined is "Expectant Innkeeper" because at some point "Aspiring" didn't quite fit anymore.
At this point (as far as I can tell) you are still in the Aspiring stage (which can last a long time... just ask Samster!
wink_smile.gif
). I coined the Expectant term because after you read this forum long enough, and buy a house and start renovations, and have all kinds of financial and emotional investment (where you can't go back) your mindset changes. It's a lot like having a baby... you're pregnant, with a due date, you're committed. But you still don't really know what it's like until you have your first late guest (when you were hoping to go out to dinner) or your housekeeper doesn't show up or a couple with a two night reservation arrives unhappy because you're an hour in the wrong direction.
As an Expectant Innkeeper you start to grasp concepts that a rose colored glass clad aspiring is still completely unaware of, especially if you're remodeling and you watch your target dates fall, your money disappear, and your estimates double.
=)
Kk.

Check the glossary on here but I think it depends on what stage of an innkeeper to be that you are.
Yes, bring on the ideas!
I like the local products idea but we also want folks to remember where we won all this great stuff!! So there should be something in there that carries our brand.
Then it should be a goodie bag like what you got. Having those bags printed is not very expensive. Any logo'd items you have would work...mugs, pens, etc. Then whatever local stuff you could get donated. Maybe the CVB could help with other businesses that would like to do that.

Yes, bring on the ideas!
Then it should be a goodie bag like what you got. Having those bags printed is not very expensive. Any logo'd items you have would work...mugs, pens, etc. Then whatever local stuff you could get donated. Maybe the CVB could help with other businesses that would like to do that.
I was looking for other ideas for giveaways or guest raffles. It's along the idea of things that I've read in Guerilla Marketing - unexpected surprises that make people remember you.
Do you have any thoughts?

Yes, bring on the ideas!
I was looking for other ideas for giveaways or guest raffles. It's along the idea of things that I've read in Guerilla Marketing - unexpected surprises that make people remember you.
Do you have any thoughts?
Guests really like receiving our logo'd mugs as a gift. I tie a bow on them and attach the inn notecard with a 'thank you for your repeat business' note. I sometimes put in a seasonal candy. OK, if you have notecards (or your postcards) how about giving a gift of recipes? You could have a recipe 'club' where guests get a new recipe each time they visit. OK, I'm stealing that one from myself! The mugs were the past year's gifts, now I'm moving on to this one. Thanks! You could make the recipe what they had for breakfast the morning they were there or the afternoon treat or some seasonal specialty of the house.

I stayed at a B&B that did an annual draw for a free night (maybe it was BOGO, can't remember, didn't win). Guests received one entry ballot on their first stay, two ballots on their second stay, etc. I guess it was to encourage repeats also. It seemed a little complicated to me.
I did a snowman contest our first year. Any guest that built a snowman here and sent me a photo was entered into a draw for a BOGO. It would work with a photo contest too, with guests sending a photo of the inn or the area in lieu of a ballot. Helps build the photo gallery! Of course, you need to make it a condition that the photos are yours too use for promotional purposes.
Since my place is fairly small (5 rooms) I wouldn't do a prize draw on the spot for one guest to take something home. When there's so few people in the draw, and your name isn't called, it somehow sucks more to not win than it does if there's a whole bunch of other people who didn't win either. Is that just me?
I like the idea of a draw (monthly? seasonally? annually?) and then mail the prize to the winner and post it on your blog. As an innkeeper, I like the idea of a BOGO because it brings them back and only costs me something if they use it--and no expensive shipping costs. As a guest, I would like a gift basket of stuff, or mug or something in case I wasn't coming back or that didn't have any strings attached.

I stayed at a B&B that did an annual draw for a free night (maybe it was BOGO, can't remember, didn't win). Guests received one entry ballot on their first stay, two ballots on their second stay, etc. I guess it was to encourage repeats also. It seemed a little complicated to me.
I did a snowman contest our first year. Any guest that built a snowman here and sent me a photo was entered into a draw for a BOGO. It would work with a photo contest too, with guests sending a photo of the inn or the area in lieu of a ballot. Helps build the photo gallery! Of course, you need to make it a condition that the photos are yours too use for promotional purposes.
Since my place is fairly small (5 rooms) I wouldn't do a prize draw on the spot for one guest to take something home. When there's so few people in the draw, and your name isn't called, it somehow sucks more to not win than it does if there's a whole bunch of other people who didn't win either. Is that just me?
I like the idea of a draw (monthly? seasonally? annually?) and then mail the prize to the winner and post it on your blog. As an innkeeper, I like the idea of a BOGO because it brings them back and only costs me something if they use it--and no expensive shipping costs. As a guest, I would like a gift basket of stuff, or mug or something in case I wasn't coming back or that didn't have any strings attached..
happyjacks said:
It's not just you.

TinaC please post your book on here (a new thread) under resources and info on how to purchase etc. We would be happy to read it! That was we can find it later and refer to it.
regular_smile.gif

emspiers said:
We already have a term for you. Expectant Innkeeper - Preggers? But I think that is when you are in the process and have a place but are not yet open, YS can clarify.
tounge_smile.gif

OOPS! I am too late on this convers, sorry I just read what YS wrote.

Okay I am going to be sour grapes.
Unless it brings guests in, I won't be giving away stuff. Like aforementioned 10,000 times I get calls for donations where we can have hundreds and thousands of people hear our name. It doesn't bring in guests. I am going to stick with "let them eat brownies" at check in.
sad_smile.gif

that may be great for large resorts who have the marketing bucks but for a small B & B, I wouldn't waste my time or money. Who cares if they win a mug???? Sorry:-(

A couple of ideas here.
I signed up with Kansas City Public Television promotion. They have a travel card for members. We are about 2.5 - 3 hours from KC. I am on their promotion for BOGO. When they present their card, you take a ball point pen and scratch out your number on their card. It is supposed to be used once. But I think that during a year I will not scratch out the number and allow people to use a BOGO any number of times during the year, always on availability. I checked out the web site and many public television stations across the nation are doing this.
We have a local catholic parish that called and asked for a free night. I talked to them but told them I would never donate a free night. I only will do a BOGO and told them that the recipient could use it any number of times during the next year always on availability. So they actually bought one night to put on their auction with me donating one night. Then whoever buys it can use it as a BOGO a number of times in the next year.
I am going to see how this works out for me. If someone pays for one night, it isn't much for me to donate the next night for them if it in the end makes more room nights for me as I add rooms.

that may be great for large resorts who have the marketing bucks but for a small B & B, I wouldn't waste my time or money. Who cares if they win a mug???? Sorry:-(.
People do like FREE stuff, especially if it's unexpected. If everyone gets something on their way out the door or later in the mail, that dilutes the fun of it. You also have to present the "prize" so that you're not rubbing the fact that they didn't win in the other people's face. I'm not talking about re-creating this $200 bag of stuff here by any means.
You are in a destination location - it's a lot different to figure out marketing ideas when you don't have that as a draw. Also, the folks that are escaping to your location are a certain demographic. Remember, your weekend guests, generally speaking, make much larger salaries than many of my guests :)

A couple of ideas here.
I signed up with Kansas City Public Television promotion. They have a travel card for members. We are about 2.5 - 3 hours from KC. I am on their promotion for BOGO. When they present their card, you take a ball point pen and scratch out your number on their card. It is supposed to be used once. But I think that during a year I will not scratch out the number and allow people to use a BOGO any number of times during the year, always on availability. I checked out the web site and many public television stations across the nation are doing this.
We have a local catholic parish that called and asked for a free night. I talked to them but told them I would never donate a free night. I only will do a BOGO and told them that the recipient could use it any number of times during the next year always on availability. So they actually bought one night to put on their auction with me donating one night. Then whoever buys it can use it as a BOGO a number of times in the next year.
I am going to see how this works out for me. If someone pays for one night, it isn't much for me to donate the next night for them if it in the end makes more room nights for me as I add rooms..
I really like this idea - think we'll do something similar down the road for future charities/donation kind of calls.

TinaC please post your book on here (a new thread) under resources and info on how to purchase etc. We would be happy to read it! That was we can find it later and refer to it.
regular_smile.gif
Thanks, JBJ! I will start a new thread under that heading.
As for giveaway gift ideas, In a shrink wrapped basket or such, how about postcards of the inn, comp. size soaps, shampoos, conditioner or travel items with inn's logo contact info. Coupons to nearby restaurants and (or) attractions.
Nat'l Country Inn, B&B Day is 1st Sun. in Oct. Contact your local newspaper (perhaps) to post your day and mention gift basket or giveaway offered to people who tour, visit or stay or at your property using whatever terms you like. If they do not want to do an article, take advantage of the free listing most newspapers offer announcing the date and your inn's name. It should end up on Google, AOL, Yahoo etc. Hope that makes sense.

regular_smile.gif
Thanks, JBJ! I will start a new thread under that heading.
As for giveaway gift ideas, In a shrink wrapped basket or such, how about postcards of the inn, comp. size soaps, shampoos, conditioner or travel items with inn's logo contact info. Coupons to nearby restaurants and (or) attractions.
Nat'l Country Inn, B&B Day is 1st Sun. in Oct. Contact your local newspaper (perhaps) to post your day and mention gift basket or giveaway offered to people who tour, visit or stay or at your property using whatever terms you like. If they do not want to do an article, take advantage of the free listing most newspapers offer announcing the date and your inn's name. It should end up on Google, AOL, Yahoo etc. Hope that makes sense.
Is there a link for the National B&B/Country Inn day website?

Back