B&B helpful hints for guests.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flower

Reaction score
I have posted this as this is what we have added to our web site. It seems to work for us. If it can help any of you please use what may help you with your guests.
We have gather this information from various sites and use this in our web site. We have founds this to be very helpful.
WHAT IS A BED & BREAKFAST
General
Over the years we have discovered that probably 70% of our guests have never been to a Bed & Breakfast before and ask us what is the difference between staying at a hotel/motel & at a B&B. So we have searched the Internet & borrowed text from many sites and have put together a short B&B explanation about B&Bs that we hope will help you enjoy the wonderful experience of staying at a B&B.
Back when travelers rode horses until nightfall, lodging was quite primitive. Men would pay for a place to sleep, often sharing a bed with one or two strangers, dusty breeches and all. At dawn they may have washed or shaved, had a meal, and rode off in separate directions.
Today, more and more business travelers and tourists are enjoying a modernized, more enjoyable version of this form of accommodation, by staying in someone's private home for two or more nights.
B&Bs around the world are all unique and vary by country, region and even city. Each and every true Bed & Breakfast is someone's home.
Staying in a Bed & Breakfast has advantages over staying in an impersonal hotel. You are accommodated in a home-away-from-home with very nice people looking after you. And for better value than a stay at a hotel/motel, you get a comfortable --often luxury quality -- room and bed, usually a private bath, a wholesome breakfast (full or extended continental), sparkling conversation, lots of activity ideas and cultural advice, and often, free parking.
As more North Americans are choosing Bed & Breakfast accommodation over hotel stays, B&B hosts would like first-time guests to know -- but are often too kind to tell them -- that there are some major differences between the two types of lodging.
Staying in a Bed & Breakfast is like staying at your future in-laws' home for the first time. (You want to enjoy yourself, but you also want to make a good impression.) The key is to remember that you are a guest in someone's private home; you're not staying in a hotel. We hosts want you to have a warm, relaxed and memorable stay; all we ask is that you be a polite and thoughtful guest.

B&B RATINGS - STARS OR WHAT
Whether a B&B has rating stars, other rating symbol, or not is not necessarily an indication of the quality of the accommodations or your enjoyment staying there. B&Bs pay for the right to display stars etc next to their name. Most of these rating systems only inspect the physical condition of the B&B, not the quality of the furniture or linens, not the quality or type of breakfast provided, nor the level of service provided by the hosts. Many B&B owners do not wish to pay for this rating service but still provide comparable or even better accommodations. Your best judge is to view their advertising/web site & ask questions when booking.
In B C, many B&Bs pay the province to do an annual inspection that, if they pass, ensures their guests that their B&B meets Provincial Standards for cleanliness, safety, have passed "Food Safe" training and offer basic amenities. This allows those B&Bs to be listed in the Provincial Travel Guide. In Sumpter, all licensed B&Bs are also inspected annually by the Fire Department to ensure they meet all fire regulations.
Many B&Bs also belong to Associations that have certain standards to meet. These vary by Association but are an indication that member B&Bs strive to be professional in the services they offer.
B&B COMMON INFORMATION
Here are a few things that they all have in common for you to consider when staying at any true Bed & Breakfast.
Please do not take this as a list of rules, but rather as suggestions to ensure that your stay is enjoyable to you, other guests & the hosts.
Check-in / Check-out times are so you can receive a heartfelt welcome when you arrive. They will vary so confirm them with your hosts and try your best to adhere to them.
Arrive as close as possible to the time agreed upon. Unlike a hotel, there is not always someone “on the desk”. The host may be out picking up groceries, working in the yard or otherwise unavailable. Hosts plan their day around guest arrival times, and they worry about you when you are much later than expected.Delays are a potential peril of any travel and welcoming our guests is part of making your stay comfortable and memorable. Please notify your hosts if your arrival time changes uncontrollably.
Please, knock or ring the bell when you arrive for the first time. There is nothing more uncomfortable than being caught off guard as someone is standing in your front entrance and you don't know whom they are.
If you must cancel, contact your hosts as soon as possible so they have the opportunity to accommodate other guests. Hosts understand that the unexpected can occur.
Pets, smoking, dietary restrictions, unusual arrival times, and outside guests are all things that should be clarified when making a reservation. They will be different at each place you stay.
If the brochure/web site states "NO PETS", please don't ask your hosts to make an exception. Saying no to guests is awkward. We are in the business of meeting your needs, not denying them.
Most B&Bs are located in quiet and private residential neighbourhoods. Consideration for neighbours by keeping noise to a minimum, and respecting private property is vital to maintaining a great enjoyable environment for all guests – present and future.
If you need to move furniture in your B&B accommodations, please remember that the liability of moving the furniture is best left to your hosts.
Parking is usually limited at a B&B so care should be taken to ensure that your vehicle is not taking more than one spot and that others can pass.
Feel free to point out things you like as well as suggestions for improvements. Remember, your hosts want everyone's stay to be enjoyable and memorable. Most strive to improve everything at their B&B and respectful suggestions are gladly welcomed.
If you have allergies or any special needs, let you host know ahead of time so they can be prepared to accommodate you to the best of their ability.
B&Bs are on various systems and the hosts will appreciate your short showers and careful use of water. Please help conserve energy by turning off lights, TVs and appliances when you are finished, as well as closing outside doors & windows while operating air conditioning/heating.
If you break something, tell your host. They understand that accidents happen.
If you are staying more than one night, tell your hosts if you don't want your room tidied and bed made. Normally hosts will want to ensure that your garbage is emptied & that your room & linen is clean. They feel uncomfortable intruding on your private space.
At most B&Bs, breakfast is served to everyone at one time, usually at 0:00 or 0:00, however times may be flexible and if you require/wish your breakfast at a different time etc, please discuss with your host as early as possible to ascertain if they can accommodate your needs.
Guests normally do not stay in their rooms all day & are usually out and about the entire day, visiting the many attractions, birding, the wineries etc. This provides time for the Hosts to clean the rooms & do any maintenance that might be required.
If the B&B has a pool or hot tub, these are normally provided to guests at their own risk. Often children will not be allowed without adult supervision.
Take the time to sign the guest book and write a parting comment. Your hosts have put something of themselves into your stay and your comments are appreciated.
When you depart, leave your name and full mailing and/or email address. A business card is perfect. This way your hosts can contact you if you have left anything behind.
RESERVATIONS & CANCELLATIONS
Most B&B will require a deposit when you reserve a room and will request your credit card information. The deposit amount varies, as do the refund procedures.
B&B cancellation policies are usually a bit stricter than hotels/motels. As they are small operations, and do not over book rooms like hotels, cancellations affect them greatly. Please ask what their cancellation policy is at time of booking.
CODE OF ETHICS
The vast majority of B&B owners follow these basic requirements:
Provide a high standard of cleanliness.
Provide good quality furnishings and linens in guest bedrooms.
Provide an adequate number of bathrooms with sufficient hot water and high quality fixtures.
Provide a breakfast of consistently high quality, which is included in the room rates.
Provide for the safety and fire protection of guests consistent with provincial guidelines.
Provide friendly guidance and assistance to guests about local attractions and places of interest.
Provide a published, reasonable deposit and cancellation policy.
Provide accommodation, services, and meals consistent with their own advertising.
REASONS TO CHOOSE A BED & BREAKFAST
B&B's can range from the simple to the luxurious, with price ranges to match all budgets.
When visiting an area discovering its geography is important and by staying in a B&B you will also touch the soul of an area- its people.
Your hosts will be able to direct you to all the undiscovered treasure spots not listed in the travel brochures- that quaint restaurant, the newest artisan's shop, the antique barn etc.
Your individual needs will be heard and met if possible, whether it's for an ironing board or a bicycle.
Special diets can often be accommodated, especially if hosts are informed ahead of time.
In a B&B accommodation you are offered the warmth and care found only in a private home.
The personal touch always matter at a B&B.
You will never have to wait in long line-ups at the registration desk.
Most important of all, you will have arrived as a stranger but you will have left as an acquaintance

Nice! Of course, the guest wants to be treated special. And this was a very great post!

People don't read.
Twice this week we have people who cannot figure out how to get the front door. I have posted the photos before - a big porch leading to the front door and foyer, there is no mistaking where guests should enter/knock. And yet I have a note on my little storm door on the kitchen "USE MAIN ENTRANCE."
I, for the life of me, cannot work out WHY IN THE WORLD anyone would consider going into a back door of any business. And yet, twice this week, there they are...clueless. My confirmation says "Go to the front door and ring bell"
So all that to say, I hope you have this on some secondary page on your website, numbered or bulleted for ease of reading, otherwise it looks like a list of rules, and too much to read.

People don't read.
Twice this week we have people who cannot figure out how to get the front door. I have posted the photos before - a big porch leading to the front door and foyer, there is no mistaking where guests should enter/knock. And yet I have a note on my little storm door on the kitchen "USE MAIN ENTRANCE."
I, for the life of me, cannot work out WHY IN THE WORLD anyone would consider going into a back door of any business. And yet, twice this week, there they are...clueless. My confirmation says "Go to the front door and ring bell"
So all that to say, I hope you have this on some secondary page on your website, numbered or bulleted for ease of reading, otherwise it looks like a list of rules, and too much to read..
Because of the unbearable heat we had all the doors and windows closed with the A/C running full tilt for 3 days. (Windows open today, A/C off, happy camper here.) There is a sign on the inside of the front door that directs guests to use the side door. There is a sign outside by the front door that does the same.
After checking-in and getting info for how to get back into the house, guest rang bell on Saturday, hauling 2 huge suitcases and says, 'I went to the front door and there's a sign directing me to THIS door.'
Sadly, there is. And they had to see the same sign on the inside of the front door if they knew there WAS a front door. I had to ask if his code didn't work in the door as he was standing there ringing the bell instead of letting himself in. He looked at me like I had 2 heads. Totally forgot in the space of 10 minutes what he was supposed to do. The other couple they were with never figured it out at all. I kept having to let them in, breakfast in one hand, open the door with the other. They never acknowledged that there was any other way to gain entry other than having someone else open the door. (And I got another, 'Miss could you bring me a coffee with milk,' at breakfast this morning. Hmmm, everyone else at your table figured out how to walk over to the coffee pot and pour it out. Usually not a problem but the whole not ever opening the door by herself peeved me.)
It was hot, no one was thinking.

I get it. It's a joke right? Everyone knows that guests NEVER EVER read anything.

I have the reverse! my car park is at the back has a huge sign saying Entrance and an arrow still they walk round the front! usually taxies or if they come on the bus or train its fair enough but when they drag the cases round they baffle me. (also its lit up at night)

I have the reverse! my car park is at the back has a huge sign saying Entrance and an arrow still they walk round the front! usually taxies or if they come on the bus or train its fair enough but when they drag the cases round they baffle me. (also its lit up at night).
I have the reverse! my car park is at the back has a huge sign saying Entrance and an arrow still they walk round the front! usually taxies or if they come on the bus or train its fair enough but when they drag the cases round they baffle me. (also its lit up at night)
Oh yeah the whole at night "LIGHTS ON" thing is another one. Hm dark kitchen door, with no overhang or big front with uplights? We had a couple wandering around behind our shop and then went down the front toward our basement (two days ago). I do believe the heat is getting to them.

People don't read.
So all that to say, I hope you have this on some secondary page on your website, numbered or bulleted for ease of reading, otherwise it looks like a list of rules, and too much to read..
Please do not take this as a list of rules, but rather as suggestions to ensure that your stay is enjoyable to you, other guests & the hosts
Yes we have a page on our web site just for it. This is meant to enlighten guest. Yes they do read it. Guess we have must be reader here. I find people that are nick picker read all fine print, People that don't give a hoot never read ..... they just take thing s for face value. OR THEY TAKE THE EASY WAY OUT AND SAY THEY NEVER KNEW???????
But either way They cannot say they don't know. Like I said there are other B&Bs that have posted similar information. This just was not some thing I designed.
As far as going to the back door it maybe how they were raised .There are a lot of homes that donot use their front doors. Even in England , Scotland, Holland they use there side doors or back doors to enter there homes. The house we rented you couldnot used there front door it was blocked by a side board. So you had to go around the back to get in. Some times the front of the house is there home and the back of the house is there busness.

People don't read.
Please do not take this as a list of rules, but rather as suggestions to ensure that your stay is enjoyable to you, other guests & the hosts
Yes we have a page on our web site just for it. This is meant to enlighten guest. Yes they do read it. Guess we have must be reader here. I find people that are nick picker read all fine print, People that don't give a hoot never read ..... they just take thing s for face value. OR THEY TAKE THE EASY WAY OUT AND SAY THEY NEVER KNEW???????
But either way They cannot say they don't know. Like I said there are other B&Bs that have posted similar information. This just was not some thing I designed.
As far as going to the back door it maybe how they were raised .There are a lot of homes that donot use their front doors. Even in England , Scotland, Holland they use there side doors or back doors to enter there homes. The house we rented you couldnot used there front door it was blocked by a side board. So you had to go around the back to get in. Some times the front of the house is there home and the back of the house is there busness.
in the UK the standard is front door for guests and back door which tends to be straight into the kitchen for every day use.

People don't read.
in the UK the standard is front door for guests and back door which tends to be straight into the kitchen for every day use.
And we have a saying here: Back door guests are best. (But it is not meant for business, just that friends use the back door and strangers use the front door.)

I get it. It's a joke right? Everyone knows that guests NEVER EVER read anything..
My thoughts exactly. I don't think people would read this. Maybe innkeepers just to see what it said but not guests. I have gotten so I need to be quick about doing things and I don't read alot so I tend to make things short. I am trying to teach DH that less is more in terms of how much to put into an e-mail.

People don't read.
And we have a saying here: Back door guests are best. (But it is not meant for business, just that friends use the back door and strangers use the front door.)
I wouldn't say that in the UK as it has a completely different meaning! (think gay men back door)

People don't read.
IN ONE of our provinces in the sixtiest the houses had front doors but no steps going up to the front door. The house was consider to be under construction and there for did not have to pay taxes.
Yes there are standard true but there are exceptions to ever rule was not saying ever house in England you use the back door. We see a TV program called Location Location a Bristish show on Real Estate there were more then a few homes that the front door was not used.

ARGGGHH!!!
People! We have a BIG FRONT DOOR and this is a business. No guest/stranger should ever, nor will ever enter from the back door, our quarters.
No wonder people try it, this forum is an example, sheesh.

People don't read.
Alibi Ike said:
I have a sign hanging over my back door that says that.

People don't read.
Alibi Ike said:
I am so "born and raised in the city" for that sign. ugh

People don't read.
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
What tickles me about that sign is that it's truly how we live. We've lived here for 9 years and I have never EVER heard our front doorbell ring. Ever.
Friends, neighbors, family...everyone walks right in. No knocking. No waiting for me to open the door. It's the only way I know how to live!

People don't read.
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
What tickles me about that sign is that it's truly how we live. We've lived here for 9 years and I have never EVER heard our front doorbell ring. Ever.
Friends, neighbors, family...everyone walks right in. No knocking. No waiting for me to open the door. It's the only way I know how to live!
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
You have a back door that is more convenient than the front door. You welcome people into the back door, I mean it is a no brainer WHY people do it, but when you are a BUSINESS that takes a persons credit cards you need to enter through the MAIN ENTRANCE.
The sign I was referring to being from the city, was a "lifestyle choice" sign, just like we love rainbows but they have a different connotation now.

People don't read.
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
You have a back door that is more convenient than the front door. You welcome people into the back door, I mean it is a no brainer WHY people do it, but when you are a BUSINESS that takes a persons credit cards you need to enter through the MAIN ENTRANCE.
The sign I was referring to being from the city, was a "lifestyle choice" sign, just like we love rainbows but they have a different connotation now.
Joey Bloggs said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Whole-heartedly agree....

Back