B&B Insurance

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nkeeprs

Reaction score
Good Morning all.
My policy for the Inn is coming for renewal and just wondering if anyone knows of any great insurance companys they use.
Thanks
the Maine Innkeeper

Try MMG insurance (Maine Mutual). Go thru Clark Insurance (Portland area, can't remember if it is South Portland or not.)

We use Markel and have been very happy with them. We had a quote from the other guys (forget their names) but Markel beat them and had better service, too.
=)
Kk.

We use Markel and have been very happy with them. We had a quote from the other guys (forget their names) but Markel beat them and had better service, too.
=)
Kk..
By any chance do you have a phone # or contact person.?
Thx

We use James Wolfe. They are one of very few that provides B&B coverage in this area at a decent rate. We have had only one claim and it was handled promptly and efficiently.

We use James Wolfe. They are one of very few that provides B&B coverage in this area at a decent rate. We have had only one claim and it was handled promptly and efficiently..
"decent rate"....being the operative word....in compared to who? I have never known them to offer great rates..but then again..in your area...might be the best you can find.......not sure???
[edited by swirt to remove a location reference]

Try MMG insurance (Maine Mutual). Go thru Clark Insurance (Portland area, can't remember if it is South Portland or not.).
We also use MMG, but through Cross Insurance in Portland. The were far less expensive than either Wolf or Markel for identical coverage.

We use James Wolfe. They are one of very few that provides B&B coverage in this area at a decent rate. We have had only one claim and it was handled promptly and efficiently..
"decent rate"....being the operative word....in compared to who? I have never known them to offer great rates..but then again..in your area...might be the best you can find.......not sure???
[edited by swirt to remove a location reference]
They have been the best rates we can find here (we have been with them since we opened 10 years now). We have checked every 2-3 years for less expensive but to no avail with most other qoutes being near to over double!!!
This is will be another year to test the market. I do believe there is a larger B&B ins. market for the NE that down in our area and with that comes the competitive pricing.

Markel contact: Irene, 570-251-8727.
Wolfe contacts me and quotes me every year but Markel beats them.
Actually, this year I have a Ohio guy to call and get a quote from, that another B&B recommended. I don't have the info handy, though, and I doubt he'll beat Markel.
=)
Kk.

I use Erie but I only have CYA coverage because I do not have a future to protect. Young folks have a future. Protect it if you can....

I have a local broker who insures me with a very old company called Union Standard. I pay about $2200 per year for 2 homes, one is the guest house. We have a liability rider on our personal home where the billiard room and dining room are, beisdes that we have our regular haz. insurance on our home with replacement cost that goes up every year on both dwellings. Our liability coverage is high. We don't every want to be stuck.
I always think to check with an independent broker before choosing insurance. I know that Markel and Wolfe say they are better than anyone else because they understand our business, but they make it sound like they are the only ones who do. They aren't.
Another thing to consider - not all B&B's are created equal and neither are insurance companies. Our broker has been dealing with our extended family business insurance needs for many years and through several businesses, but when my hub's step-brother needed an insurance quote for his b&b an hour away from us, the company that covers me would not touch it because he was in a rural area. They insured me because I was an urban inn. Everyone has a niche. Wolfe wanted $2600 plus our haz. insurance.
I loved that Union Standard sent someone to stay with us, and they were very friendly and helpful with safety suggestion we had not even thought of. That's great service.

I have a local broker who insures me with a very old company called Union Standard. I pay about $2200 per year for 2 homes, one is the guest house. We have a liability rider on our personal home where the billiard room and dining room are, beisdes that we have our regular haz. insurance on our home with replacement cost that goes up every year on both dwellings. Our liability coverage is high. We don't every want to be stuck.
I always think to check with an independent broker before choosing insurance. I know that Markel and Wolfe say they are better than anyone else because they understand our business, but they make it sound like they are the only ones who do. They aren't.
Another thing to consider - not all B&B's are created equal and neither are insurance companies. Our broker has been dealing with our extended family business insurance needs for many years and through several businesses, but when my hub's step-brother needed an insurance quote for his b&b an hour away from us, the company that covers me would not touch it because he was in a rural area. They insured me because I was an urban inn. Everyone has a niche. Wolfe wanted $2600 plus our haz. insurance.
I loved that Union Standard sent someone to stay with us, and they were very friendly and helpful with safety suggestion we had not even thought of. That's great service..
aieechihuahua said:
Another thing to consider - not all B&B's are created equal and neither are insurance companies. ....... Everyone has a niche.
This is so true. That is why I do check the market every few years, and will do so again this year. A few years ago I checked with several independent ins. companies, some would not touch a B&B - like we were a plague or something. One which a B&B friend used gave me a quote 3 times what Wolfe quoted (comparable policies). Markel is on my list this time - the last time we contacted them (early years) they did not write policies in our state, I noticed they say they do in every state now.

I loved that Union Standard sent someone to stay with us, and they were very friendly and helpful with safety suggestion we had not even thought of. That's great service..
aieechihuahua said:
Another thing to consider - not all B&B's are created equal and neither are insurance companies. ....... Everyone has a niche.
This is so true. That is why I do check the market every few years, and will do so again this year. A few years ago I checked with several independent ins. companies, some would not touch a B&B - like we were a plague or something. One which a B&B friend used gave me a quote 3 times what Wolfe quoted (comparable policies). Markel is on my list this time - the last time we contacted them (early years) they did not write policies in our state, I noticed they say they do in every state now.
copperhead said:
aieechihuahua said:
We are very satisfied with Markel. They are one of the few who will cover an inn that serves wine.
Riki

Back