B&B Newbies

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
It's that time of year where the windows are open and I can hear guests outside talking. I hear one person say, 'This is really nice that they let you come and go as you want!' (Like they thought we would lock them in?) Another guest, who has been here before, says, 'Yes, and they let us bring my mother in thru the front door to avoid the stairs and let her sit in the living room while we all go out, it's really a good place.'
Brought a smile to my face. Possibly the other guest will now be more comfortable selecting a B&B.

Remember that converstaion the next time a PITA makes you want to scream. Put it on a continuous tape in your brain!

CHEERS!
Bad B&B's give us all a bad name, glad you could correct the misconceptions.

Judging by the most recent posts, this weekend looks to have been a good one for all of us ..... and that makes so very very happy, especially when I look back on what seemed to be a collective melt-down not so long ago.
You are all amazing.

Tipsy I call it the "semi annual innkeeper meltdown" as it usually happens twice a year, like the sales at Macys. :)

Judging by the most recent posts, this weekend looks to have been a good one for all of us ..... and that makes so very very happy, especially when I look back on what seemed to be a collective melt-down not so long ago.
You are all amazing..
The Tipsy Butler said:
You are all amazing.
It's that whole 'pre-season I got to used to having the house to myself most days and now I see I don't have a day off for 2 months' blues.

Nice. It's like busting the B&B myth, "Do we have a curfew?"
I mean, are there places out there that do that? Seriously......

Yes, and it was precipitated by the holiday, which always bring out the "amateurs" who tax us all. I agree, sounds like we all had a good weekend, and by gosh we all deserved it! Hope this vibe lasts...
cheers.gif

Nice. It's like busting the B&B myth, "Do we have a curfew?"
I mean, are there places out there that do that? Seriously.......
Walk-ins last night asked that...I told them I give them the key, they take care of themselves. 9 PM? 10PM? MIDNIGHT???
Told them they were grown-ups and didn't need me looking after them. They were quite happy.

Got a good review on TA found it this morning...which was nice aftetr the late night last night. It was a couple last week-first time B & Bers and we thought that they would be PITAs because they show up with two other people and start asking if they HAD to stay here. Since we dont own the B & B only work here, we cant realy make that decision to let them go without payment-so the check in was kind of rocky...
They didn't want breakfast but were visiting with other 'guests before breakfast and we where releaved that they left happy...next thing we know there is a great review saying how wonderful we where and the house was great and what a great time they had--AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE BREAKFAST.
Then the two sisters visiting the town left a thank you note on the napkin that was in their sack that we left cause they where leaving way too early and didn't want breakfast...we of course leave a brown bag breakfast-muffin, juice, water and if they want to they can make coffee with to go coffee.
This is what makes all the PITA's worth putting up with--unless there are more PITA's than nice ones...

Oh forgot..the sisters also left a good TA review and a nice comment in our comment book. So since we've been at this job since May we've received three good reviews. NICE:)

Oh forgot..the sisters also left a good TA review and a nice comment in our comment book. So since we've been at this job since May we've received three good reviews. NICE:).
Very very nice. Hope you're including those reviews in your monthly reports to the director (and copying the owner).

Great Mort! Let those words stay in your mind all season long.
My weekend ended well too. Everyone enjoyed their breakfast - all those dreaded food allergies/issues etc. And my business guest left me a $30 dollar tip.
teeth_smile.gif

DW and I made the observation the other day that a LARGE percentage of our guests have been first-timers. It is not unusual for us to here "This is our first B&B"
I guess we should feel honored, but it's a bit strange. Perhaps we appeal to an untapped segment of the industry at least here in Texas.

DW and I made the observation the other day that a LARGE percentage of our guests have been first-timers. It is not unusual for us to here "This is our first B&B"
I guess we should feel honored, but it's a bit strange. Perhaps we appeal to an untapped segment of the industry at least here in Texas..
Proud Texan said:
I guess we should feel honored, but it's a bit strange. Perhaps we appeal to an untapped segment of the industry at least here in Texas.
Ditto, PT. David and I hear that ALL the time!

I guess we should feel honored, but it's a bit strange. Perhaps we appeal to an untapped segment of the industry at least here in Texas..
Proud Texan said:
I think this is happening all over - more and more, people are starting to dabble into the unknown - out side the hotel walls so to speak. Also more and more couples are finding time to getaway - excape the ratrace and are finding B&B's to be a great place to do this, whether it be in their own back yard or a few hours drive. What a great opportunity we are all having - changing an old habit.
cheers.gif

I like hearing about the problems and how you all handle them!! Nothing is a bed of roses all the time. I'd rather learn a few things by reading about the mistakes/problems of others before I open rather than figure it all out on my own. So, THANK YOU!!!!!
teeth_smile.gif

I like hearing about the problems and how you all handle them!! Nothing is a bed of roses all the time. I'd rather learn a few things by reading about the mistakes/problems of others before I open rather than figure it all out on my own. So, THANK YOU!!!!!
teeth_smile.gif
welcome.gif

Proud Texan said:
I think this is happening all over - more and more, people are starting to dabble into the unknown - out side the hotel walls so to speak. Also more and more couples are finding time to getaway - excape the ratrace and are finding B&B's to be a great place to do this, whether it be in their own back yard or a few hours drive. What a great opportunity we are all having - changing an old habit.
cheers.gif

Our Tourism Division has set up a website wvstaycations.com and it lists everything they can think of that people would want to do - lodging, golf, fishing, hunting, antiques, historic sites, yada yada... They are running radio ads to drive people to that site and one of the ads talks about blah, blah, blah and bed & breakfasts. I do a mental yea every time I hear that ad as they mention bed & breakfasts. All are listed free - they do have paid listings but they are out of my financial reach but I am listed with blurb & phone numbers and that is all that counts.

Back