B&B Theft

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberbandb

Reaction score
FYI: This was on the P A I I forum this AM...
Last week, the manager of a nearby bed and breakfast called to pass on some information about their inn being burglarized. Three single women booked online and scheduled a late check inn. The next morning, the rooms were cleaned out of everything.
Last night we got a late online booking of one our highest price rooms for tonight. As we always do, we sent them the late check in information via email. Soon after, the person wrote back and asked to book another high priced room as they said their sister-in-law would also be checking in late.
Couple things rang some alarm bells for Linda. The name of the woman emailing did not match the name of the person on the credit cards. There were multiple misspellings in the email. Multiple last minute full price room bookings for late check-ins do not happen often for us. Finally Linda checked the names against the names provided by the local inn and they matched.
So we called the local police and explained what happened and asked for their suggestions. Here is what they told us to do - Make an excuse to cancel the reservation. The police did not feel it was safe to have these people visit. We emailed the guest and claimed a family medical emergency caused us to cancel all reservations. The police had us change all gate lock codes immediately and lock all closet, access and unused room doors. They took copies of the emails and contact information and are going to contact the neighboring town police department where the local inn made their police report about their burglary. And they suggested we contact Visa about the fraudulent charge, which Linda did and we were told there is already a fraudulent charge investigation underway on that card. They also said to call 911 tonight for any reason and they will come immediately and will maintain a presence near the property.
Be aware...

Wow!!!! We NEVER worry about late check ins. I will pass this on to DH.
And good for you seeing the signs!!!!! And very sorry for the inn that was burglarized. I would be heartbroken to lose my artwork.

Strange thing. I just went to visit your website. There is no navigation on the home page.Then when I click on Check availability, none of the links work either?? Just the home button. I am using Chrome. You may want to check on this.

Yes, thank you for sharing. It is important to listen to those little inner voices when something doesn't sound right.

I had guests last week who were pulling a U-Haul. I worried that they would get up at 2 a.m., fill the trailer with my stuff and leave the state.
Luckily, they didn't. This time.

I've done at least few CODE 10 with a credit card. It's better to be proactive and they will clear it up quickly and they are glad when you do it, because they know you are on the ball and watching for these things.

Do you mean these women each checked into a room and cleared out the furnishings, tv's, etc??

Hmmm, am I the only one that is upset that the police didn't do their job? Why in the heck didn't they pull a 'sting' on these people! It was the perfect opportunity. Get these people arrested and off the street for a while.

Thanks for sharing this. It's always a good idea to be cautious. I too am disturbed that the police did not take notice, but I suppose that they had no evidence that they were going to burglarize you. Still, they could have taken them in for questioning and gathered the information from the previous innkeepers...done a search etc and try to nail them for the first theft.
Any idea where the location of the burglarized B+B is?
We rarely let someone in without supervision at night...especially a last minute reservation.

Thanks for sharing this. It's always a good idea to be cautious. I too am disturbed that the police did not take notice, but I suppose that they had no evidence that they were going to burglarize you. Still, they could have taken them in for questioning and gathered the information from the previous innkeepers...done a search etc and try to nail them for the first theft.
Any idea where the location of the burglarized B+B is?
We rarely let someone in without supervision at night...especially a last minute reservation..
Just 1 cop waiting down the block until they walked out with a tv would have done the trick.

Hmmm, am I the only one that is upset that the police didn't do their job? Why in the heck didn't they pull a 'sting' on these people! It was the perfect opportunity. Get these people arrested and off the street for a while..
I thought it was a perfect set-up for if nothing else, a stake-out.

Thank you so much for sharing this information. Occasionally, on busy weekends when we have 1 or two rooms left available and we're leaving for the evening, we will leave a key hidden in case someone calls needing a room. I always get all their info & CC#s before telling them where the key is. I'm thinking maybe we will stop that practice. Yikes!!
Yes, I too am disappointed that they didn't take the opportunity to catch them. But, maybe it has to do with the original report being in a different district and them going on hearsay (from timber). Seems like the perfect set-up. Maybe they were just lazy. too bad... Someone else will get ripped off next. Sounds like the perfect crime.
I'm sharing this with the other B&Bs in town.

I am bummed as well as these jerks could be behind bars right now. As I read the post I was thinking 'great, set up a trap'.

Good to keep our guard up, who would think of a 3 women robbery gang targeting B&B's.... but they come in all shapes and sizes.

On another fraudulent note, an innmate (forum member but not here too often) had her identity stolen on Facebook. Someone downloaded her profile pic and set up an account with her name and started sending friend requests to her friends. I got one and confirmed it. Others who did so were engaged in some hucksterism about access to government grant monies. The innmate got wind of it pretty quickly and posted about it, so most people un-friended that profile and Facebook eventually took it down for fraud.
A new version of calling and pretending to be a friend or colleague to get wire transfers...

Back