B&B Told All Must Be Welcom

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
I know we have touched upon this subject a few times and this is the second case lost in Canada (the first was in PEI) and there was also a case in the UK where the owners lost. Discrimination based on protected classes is not allowed, even if it violates your personal beliefs... essentially in Canada, it's a commercial venture, not a church and religious protections don't apply.
http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/owners%20ordered%20compensate%20couple%20were%20denied%20room/6956914/story.html
Just sad that a judge has to get into this and resolve it.

That's awesome. There is a B&B around here that accepts "traditional" couples only and it really peeves me.

thing is what has always baffled me is if that is your belief and it is so strong you cannot let the alternative lifestyles stay then running an accommodation establishment is not for you - so why do they do it?

That's awesome. There is a B&B around here that accepts "traditional" couples only and it really peeves me..
There was a B&B in PEI that lost a case a few years back. You would think that they would realize it's not legal in Canada to discriminate.
If anyone is wondering why the amount, they also had to pay the legal costs as well as travel costs. In Canada, loser pays all the legal bills.

That's awesome. There is a B&B around here that accepts "traditional" couples only and it really peeves me..
Miss O'Hara said:
That's awesome. There is a B&B around here that accepts "traditional" couples only and it really peeves me.
How do they get away with this? How do they screen who is 'traditional' and who is not? I'm assuming by 'traditional', you mean a man married to a woman. Geeze if I did that, I'd cut out 60% + of my guests.

To each his own.
I still think Andy Griffith was a fine man, a mighty fine man.

thing is what has always baffled me is if that is your belief and it is so strong you cannot let the alternative lifestyles stay then running an accommodation establishment is not for you - so why do they do it?.
Camberley...I Agree!

Miss O'Hara said:
How do they get away with this? How do they screen who is 'traditional' and who is not? I'm assuming by 'traditional', you mean a man married to a woman. Geeze if I did that, I'd cut out 60% + of my guests.
I have no idea how they get away with it or how they implement. I was researching b&b's in my area, they're about 3 hours away but in my state, and I saw it on their website.
It just seems like flat out discrimination to me. I agree with the other posters, if you can't do business with all people then you shouldn't be in business.

Miss O'Hara said:
I can't figure that out, either. In some places, like here, you keep your maiden name, forever. So do you really ask for the licence at the door? And who travels with one?

Miss O'Hara said:
I can't figure that out, either. In some places, like here, you keep your maiden name, forever. So do you really ask for the licence at the door? And who travels with one?
Maybe they just ask- Are you married? I guess if I were feeling sassy I'd ask back- To each other?
I don't have a marriage license. Never stopped by the town hall to pick it up after the ceremony. Don't have the same last name, either. And anyone can buy a ring.

Miss O'Hara said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I wonder how they do that as well. I have seen a couple of B&B's with statements that 'married couples only' are welcome.

Welcome also featured John Coltrane's widow, Alice, as a pianist on the album's opening track, "Going Home" and Flora Purim (the wife of Airto Moreira) on vocals. Because this album was far more experimental than his first four albums, Welcome did not feature any hit singles.-FXDD Reviews

If you are intolerent, then you definitely should not be in the Bed and Breakfast business. This business is about hospitality, which is defined as a friendly and generous reception of guests, visitors, or strangers.

If you are intolerent, then you definitely should not be in the Bed and Breakfast business. This business is about hospitality, which is defined as a friendly and generous reception of guests, visitors, or strangers..
Proud Texan said:
If you are intolerent, then you definitely should not be in the Bed and Breakfast business. This business is about hospitality, which is defined as a friendly and generous reception of guests, visitors, or strangers.
thumbs_up.gif

Back