B&B Trifecta - No need to clean

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a guest, I am perfectly fine without my room being cleaned or towels replaced daily. I always tidy up the room like it was my own. BUT, if it were my Inn I would probably go in and at least check for spilled items and to make sure there was nothing that 'needed' my attention..
Are you back from vacation or not yet gone?
You are absolutely right about the 'attention' being needed. It's why I don't think we can not go into the rooms at least to empty the trash and turn off the A/C.
BTW, if you're still on your way, guests here last night from GA thought it was sweltering here. Almost 90. But it's cooled right off now.

As a guest, I am perfectly fine without my room being cleaned or towels replaced daily. I always tidy up the room like it was my own. BUT, if it were my Inn I would probably go in and at least check for spilled items and to make sure there was nothing that 'needed' my attention..
You are absolutely right about the 'attention' being needed. It's why I don't think we can not go into the rooms at least to empty the trash and turn off the A/C.
BTW, if you're still on your way, guests here last night from GA thought it was sweltering here. Almost 90. But it's cooled right off now.
Here's her blog: http://georgiakarensblog.blogspot.com/
=) Kk.

The other reason I ask is that most of our guests make their own beds and hang up their towels. Even many of the younger guests do this. I often wonder if it is because they know I am coming in there, so they do it. For that, there is less work.
Know what I mean?
For myself, I am tidy, but I would be extra tidy in my room at a B&B. A hotel is different. There are not personal decor and care in my room at a hotel. I still put all used towels in the tub (mainly due to lack fo space more than anything else).
Now, see, I remake the beds. Usually they just pull the quilt up and it's a mess with blankets and sheets hanging out all over. So, it doesn't save me anything. And hubs cleans the entire bathroom each time. Scrubs the shower, sink, toilet and shelf and then washes the floor. For him , the only diff between a fluff and a strip is the amount of 'product' in his way.
For me, a fluff is way fast. Make the bed, empty the trash, adjust the blinds, turn off the A/C and I'm done.
And it't the A/C part that has me worried. If we go to the clean/no clean idea, I will tell guests we WILL enter the room to turn off the A/C if they do not. I'm not paying $.16/kWh for 7 A/C units to run all day.
Bree wrote: And hubs cleans the entire bathroom each time. Scrubs the shower, sink, toilet and shelf and then washes the floor. For him , the only diff between a fluff and a strip is the amount of 'product' in his way.
For me refreshing the room means making the bed, replacing towels/toiletries, emtying trash putting fresh choco's near the bed. Unless there is grass and debris on the rug, I won't vacuum, I won't clean the toilet or sink. I can WIPE it with the used hand towel and close toilet seat and flush if necessary. That is it. I do not and will not scrub it when I freshen a room.
Freshing up a room takes only 3 or 5 minutes tops. I make the bed adn tuck everything in, and put cover pillows in closet or one set BEHIND their bed pillows. I mean it is a quick walk in, grab push move outa there.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Freshing up a room takes only 3 or 5 minutes tops.
Holy cow! When we fluff it is 15 minutes, at least. I guess we'll regroup this summer when it's too busy to do it all. Heck, at that rate, I could be done on some days in an hour or less.
Yep, me too....it only takes me a few minutes. I guess years as a maid (looong time ago) are paying off now.
But I have to have a rutine. When I had my first few customers it took me forever since I was not orgnized at all.
I'll check the tub, if it looks allright, I'll leave it. Change towels, garbage, off I go.

=) Kk.
Go Georgia Girl on the blog!

=) Kk.
Yay! We'll get to follow along!

I really like the clean/don't clean door sign idea. I had some guests back in February who preferred no clean and were staying a whole week. Mid week, I offered a sheet change and she wanted to take the sheets and do the change herself. She insisted, so I let her. She also asked me for a bottle of spray cleaner which was already in the bathroom and I showed her where it was. They were clean and tidy people and plan to stay with me one week a month over the winter. I do, regardless of preference, scrub the toilets every day since they flush with salt water from the sea. Seawater can develop a smell if the toilets aren't kept clean and fresh. Likewise, I always go in and just check to make sure something hasn't gone wrong. It's a boat...if a hose begins to leak (unlikely, but anything can happen) somewhere, I want to know pronto. On one stateroom, I found wet carpet. The air conditioning unit had overflowed its pan because the hose that carried off the condensation water was clogged, so the water seeped onto the floor. Guests were gone to the boat show all day, and we took that time to tear into the AC system and get it all fixed up by the time the guests got back. That's a classic example of why I like to at least make a visual inspection at least once a day.

I really like the clean/don't clean door sign idea. I had some guests back in February who preferred no clean and were staying a whole week. Mid week, I offered a sheet change and she wanted to take the sheets and do the change herself. She insisted, so I let her. She also asked me for a bottle of spray cleaner which was already in the bathroom and I showed her where it was. They were clean and tidy people and plan to stay with me one week a month over the winter. I do, regardless of preference, scrub the toilets every day since they flush with salt water from the sea. Seawater can develop a smell if the toilets aren't kept clean and fresh. Likewise, I always go in and just check to make sure something hasn't gone wrong. It's a boat...if a hose begins to leak (unlikely, but anything can happen) somewhere, I want to know pronto. On one stateroom, I found wet carpet. The air conditioning unit had overflowed its pan because the hose that carried off the condensation water was clogged, so the water seeped onto the floor. Guests were gone to the boat show all day, and we took that time to tear into the AC system and get it all fixed up by the time the guests got back. That's a classic example of why I like to at least make a visual inspection at least once a day..
make a visual
Said like a true sailor! ha ha

The other reason I ask is that most of our guests make their own beds and hang up their towels. Even many of the younger guests do this. I often wonder if it is because they know I am coming in there, so they do it. For that, there is less work.
Know what I mean?
For myself, I am tidy, but I would be extra tidy in my room at a B&B. A hotel is different. There are not personal decor and care in my room at a hotel. I still put all used towels in the tub (mainly due to lack fo space more than anything else).
Now, see, I remake the beds. Usually they just pull the quilt up and it's a mess with blankets and sheets hanging out all over. So, it doesn't save me anything. And hubs cleans the entire bathroom each time. Scrubs the shower, sink, toilet and shelf and then washes the floor. For him , the only diff between a fluff and a strip is the amount of 'product' in his way.
For me, a fluff is way fast. Make the bed, empty the trash, adjust the blinds, turn off the A/C and I'm done.
And it't the A/C part that has me worried. If we go to the clean/no clean idea, I will tell guests we WILL enter the room to turn off the A/C if they do not. I'm not paying $.16/kWh for 7 A/C units to run all day.
Bree wrote: And hubs cleans the entire bathroom each time. Scrubs the shower, sink, toilet and shelf and then washes the floor. For him , the only diff between a fluff and a strip is the amount of 'product' in his way.
For me refreshing the room means making the bed, replacing towels/toiletries, emtying trash putting fresh choco's near the bed. Unless there is grass and debris on the rug, I won't vacuum, I won't clean the toilet or sink. I can WIPE it with the used hand towel and close toilet seat and flush if necessary. That is it. I do not and will not scrub it when I freshen a room.
Freshing up a room takes only 3 or 5 minutes tops. I make the bed adn tuck everything in, and put cover pillows in closet or one set BEHIND their bed pillows. I mean it is a quick walk in, grab push move outa there.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Holy cow! When we fluff it is 15 minutes, at least. I guess we'll regroup this summer when it's too busy to do it all. Heck, at that rate, I could be done on some days in an hour or less.
That is by myself. Always 15-20 minutes tops. Going out to the cottage opposite direction of the other rooms adds a couple minutes. Not much.
Hubs says he might be able to cut some corners but he's not sure how or where. He says he'd like to watch you clean to see what you do/don't do and the process you follow. (Another engineer...)
I don't clean, I freshen. I clean when they are gone and the next room will be checking in. Tell him that, then he can go yuk or whatever. I don't vacuum unless necessary. I wipe things out and that is the cleaning portion. I don't take out used soaps from the showers or anything until they are gone. Remember THO that I have more one nighters than I would like. So it is actually MORE cleaning around here than not. I wish it weren't.
Synopsis of a one room freshen:
Carry set of towels and new bath mat upstairs and plastic rubbish bags (walmart). Extra chocolates in pocket.
Walk in turn off all lights, fans. Open shades. Empty all waste baskets into plastic bag (each room has about 3).
Make bed if un-made or just pulled up to cover it. Put cover pillows (shams) in closet out of the way and one set behind bed pillows. Replace chocolates.
Bathroom - collect wet/used towels. Flush toilet and replace tp roll. Check to see if they need any soaps/shampoo/cups etc.
Swipe out sink with spare hand towel and shower. Replace towels and hang fresh bath mat over shower.
Leave. Lock door. Done in under 5 minutes. 5 minutes if I have to make the bed, under that if I don't.
That is pretty much my routine except it seems to take more than 5 minutes!! I do brush the toilet bowls for any residue because I have nice toilet brush sets in every bathroom. I do wipe the tub out, countertops, sinks, & the glass shelves above the sinks for splatters, toothpaste, etc. I know that you do too!
I have a new term for the Glossary but don't know what to call them exactly: Guests who seem to splash water EVERYWHERE around the sink area & even on the floor. What is up with that?? Are they bathing in the sink? haha! Seriously...water & water spots everywhere. Trust me...there are plenty of spare washcloths in every guest bathroom to wipe that up. Yeesch....

Know what I mean?
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
That is by myself. Always 15-20 minutes tops. Going out to the cottage opposite direction of the other rooms adds a couple minutes. Not much.
Hubs says he might be able to cut some corners but he's not sure how or where. He says he'd like to watch you clean to see what you do/don't do and the process you follow. (Another engineer...)
I don't clean, I freshen. I clean when they are gone and the next room will be checking in. Tell him that, then he can go yuk or whatever. I don't vacuum unless necessary. I wipe things out and that is the cleaning portion. I don't take out used soaps from the showers or anything until they are gone. Remember THO that I have more one nighters than I would like. So it is actually MORE cleaning around here than not. I wish it weren't.
Carry set of towels and new bath mat upstairs and plastic rubbish bags (walmart). Extra chocolates in pocket.
Walk in turn off all lights, fans. Open shades. Empty all waste baskets into plastic bag (each room has about 3).
Make bed if un-made or just pulled up to cover it. Put cover pillows (shams) in closet out of the way and one set behind bed pillows. Replace chocolates.
Bathroom - collect wet/used towels. Flush toilet and replace tp roll. Check to see if they need any soaps/shampoo/cups etc.
Swipe out sink with spare hand towel and shower. Replace towels and hang fresh bath mat over shower.
Leave. Lock door. Done in under 5 minutes. 5 minutes if I have to make the bed, under that if I don't.
That is pretty much my routine except it seems to take more than 5 minutes!! I do brush the toilet bowls for any residue because I have nice toilet brush sets in every bathroom. I do wipe the tub out, countertops, sinks, & the glass shelves above the sinks for splatters, toothpaste, etc. I know that you do too!
I have a new term for the Glossary but don't know what to call them exactly: Guests who seem to splash water EVERYWHERE around the sink area & even on the floor. What is up with that?? Are they bathing in the sink? haha! Seriously...water & water spots everywhere. Trust me...there are plenty of spare washcloths in every guest bathroom to wipe that up. Yeesch....
Splashers?
Interesting that some people end up with toothpaste everywhere as well, and some don't.

Know what I mean?
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Splashers?
Interesting that some people end up with toothpaste everywhere as well, and some don't.
These people that I'm talking about are more than the usual "splashers". They're more like Texas gulley washers!
teeth_smile.gif

Know what I mean?
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Splashers?
These people that I'm talking about are more than the usual "splashers". They're more like Texas gulley washers!
teeth_smile.gif

Gulley Washers it is then. :)

Know what I mean?
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Remember THO that I have more one nighters than I would like. So it is actually MORE cleaning around here than not. I wish it weren't.
Sidetracking alert
embaressed_smile.gif
...I haven't looked at your site lately so slap me if you've done this...do you have 3-day itineraries posted on your site/blog/both? NOT just a list of what to do but a laid out assault plan for 'Day 1: eat breakfast, get map, go to..., Day 2, Day 3?'
It looks like you have a lot of things to do on the blog, but sometimes the guest needs it laid out in an organized 'do this and this because they are 2 miles from each other' fashion. And, OBTW, eat here and here while you're out.

Know what I mean?
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Yep, me too....it only takes me a few minutes. I guess years as a maid (looong time ago) are paying off now.
But I have to have a rutine. When I had my first few customers it took me forever since I was not orgnized at all.
I'll check the tub, if it looks allright, I'll leave it. Change towels, garbage, off I go.
Mooseberry Inn said:
Our first weekend here (day 5 of owning the place) we had 7 rooms to strip. It took 6 hours. We almost stopped at 5 rooms and said we'd go back and finish up in the morning. We didn't and we've kept to that ever since. Now it takes us about 3 hours to do 7 rooms (if there are no 'extras' to take care of). Today I am washing all the blankets so that is taking time. (I need a king size backup blanket & mattress pad so I don't have to wait for the wash to be done to make the bed.) And one guest used the pillow shams to sleep on so those are full of makeup and drool, so in the wash and then iron.

Know what I mean?
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Remember THO that I have more one nighters than I would like. So it is actually MORE cleaning around here than not. I wish it weren't.
Sidetracking alert
embaressed_smile.gif
...I haven't looked at your site lately so slap me if you've done this...do you have 3-day itineraries posted on your site/blog/both? NOT just a list of what to do but a laid out assault plan for 'Day 1: eat breakfast, get map, go to..., Day 2, Day 3?'
It looks like you have a lot of things to do on the blog, but sometimes the guest needs it laid out in an organized 'do this and this because they are 2 miles from each other' fashion. And, OBTW, eat here and here while you're out.
No and I don't know if I ever will. I had guests the other day who liked to be spoon fed. It absolutely bugged the heck out of me. I felt like exclaiming, DID YOU DO ANY RESEARCH BEFORE YOU CAME HERE? I mean I have a full basket of brochures which for some reason they wanted to ignore.
So no I don't. It is kinda like the question "What is there to do?" And I don't know where to start, I mean, what do you like to do? Do you want to hike or go to a winery or shop? It is such a broad question.
Maybe some here can post examples of theirs and we can peruse them for ideas?

Know what I mean?
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Sidetracking alert
embaressed_smile.gif
No and I don't know if I ever will. I had guests the other day who liked to be spoon fed. It absolutely bugged the heck out of me. I felt like exclaiming, DID YOU DO ANY RESEARCH BEFORE YOU CAME HERE? I mean I have a full basket of brochures which for some reason they wanted to ignore.
So no I don't. It is kinda like the question "What is there to do?" And I don't know where to start, I mean, what do you like to do? Do you want to hike or go to a winery or shop? It is such a broad question.
No, of course they didn't. They planned to stay at a B&B and learn where to go from the innkeepers!
Got a reservation for tonight just now. Guy at a seminar going on around the corner. For the same seminar, my first room came Sunday, the second last night. He rolled into town with no plans of where to stay, and the seminary housing is full. He found my card on the Admissions office desk. Yay!!! (I need to take them some cookies...)
=) Kk.

Know what I mean?
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Sidetracking alert
embaressed_smile.gif
You know, I could almost hear your answer as I was typing in the question...
teeth_smile.gif

I don't like my list anymore, but here it is for what it is worth. I was told by someone on PAII to not list any short stays if I was going to do this...3 or 4 days min. I copied mine from a place in NY. Not sure they even have the list anymore.
Scroll waaaay down. After the list of what's happening.
Hers is much better, concise, not so wordy.

Know what I mean?
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Sidetracking alert
embaressed_smile.gif
Generally, we have a plan when we go away. At least a couple of things we 'have' to see. (NM vacation was because I HAD to go to the Georgia O'Keeffe museum, but that was it for plans for 5 days.)
We like when the innkeepers say, 'You HAVE to see/do this.'
Guest coming this summer for 7 days wants an idea of things to do. Based on a short conversation with him I elected to NOT give him the standard tourist list. (Some old favorites on there, but other, oddball things are the most prominent.) I came up with close to 50 things to do. Not in order, but just a list divided up by category (Antiques, Outdoors, Foodie Trail, Misc). The Misc category includes a bus tour to see the places mentioned in Stephen King's books...it's called The Tommyknockers Tour.
Now he may think I'm totally clueless, but it was fun to make the list up and now I have another resource for the guest who has 'been there, done that.'

don't like my list anymore, but here it is for what it is worth. I was told by someone on PAII to not list any short stays if I was going to do this...3 or 4 days min.
Do the cute old folks come with the itinerary? tee hee (don't answer that, I know who they are, just kidding!)
Thanks I will take a look at both and see what I come up with. If I blog it, then I can haev it on there as a perpetual listing.

The reason I have a hard time even doing a list, is there is no accounting for taste. I offically got my first booking two days ago for an event. Speaking to this southern ca guest he asked a few questions and I mentioned to check the blog in a month or so as they do not announce in advance these events.
He actually thought that was pretty neat.
Me, here I am this morning with a Sun-Sat list of music events in our town and trying not to have to retype the whole thing. There is no central calendar or place or events, no database, it drives me nuts. I already said when I sell this B&B I am going to offer my services to this county for tourism purposes. (paid services).
So we have the only Youth Bluegrass Festival. Not youth IN the festival, but only youth. No advertising, word of mouth only. I couldn't even get times for when it began. Quaint, this guest thinks,pretty neat.
So all that to say, some people like old fashioned stuff, some hate it. Some are willing to drive an hour to have a homestyle meal, others think I am nuts suggesting it.

The reason I have a hard time even doing a list, is there is no accounting for taste. I offically got my first booking two days ago for an event. Speaking to this southern ca guest he asked a few questions and I mentioned to check the blog in a month or so as they do not announce in advance these events.
He actually thought that was pretty neat.
Me, here I am this morning with a Sun-Sat list of music events in our town and trying not to have to retype the whole thing. There is no central calendar or place or events, no database, it drives me nuts. I already said when I sell this B&B I am going to offer my services to this county for tourism purposes. (paid services).
So we have the only Youth Bluegrass Festival. Not youth IN the festival, but only youth. No advertising, word of mouth only. I couldn't even get times for when it began. Quaint, this guest thinks,pretty neat.
So all that to say, some people like old fashioned stuff, some hate it. Some are willing to drive an hour to have a homestyle meal, others think I am nuts suggesting it..
Still sidetracking...I am very delinquent on my blog. I have not been back on there for a few weeks since I've been pretty busy. Bad, Samster, bad!! Some itineraries is definitely on the list. Actually, there are several trip itineraries on our C&VB site that I have a link to on my website. But most people have been here for a purpose until lately. Just this week, I've had a couple of folks on their way through to the Gulf Coast beaches. I guess we're a good stopping point if you don't want a really long day's drive from some points North. One couple added an extra day so they could explore & had no clue. I sent them all over the place :)
Back to cleaning...
Probably the more experienced innkeepers here have had this happen, but this was a first for me. I had a couple of slightly dark spots on the bottom of a mattress pad today (they are thick ones by Ralph Lauren). Anyhoo, on further investigation it looked to be some mold spots. Yep, probably from a wet towel or two on the bed in the last couple of days of this 3 day stay where the moisture wicked into the thick part of the pad. With the light matelasse covers and white blankets, it's not always easy to see a damp spot. This is with the A/C upstairs turned down to 68F with these people. You'd think that it would have dried it out. Live & learn...
Everything is in a bleach wash as I type.....

Back