B&B vs. Hotel Stay

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what to think on this one. I may have had a diff viewpoint if the owner did NOT respond.
I understand where he is coming from, but as we say "The guests think they are the only" and they don't think about 2500 other guests who came before them, and possibly broke the rules. So I have to side with the guests on this one. Three pages vs half a page is a stretch.
I am always looking at that fine line...Do I need a rule or note stating "No jumping rope in your upstairs guest room that rattles the whole bloody house?" because one person was that absurd to do it? No.
What about "No eating in the rooms?" There are many B&B's who have this (some on this forum), and it may be the ONE RULE that makes you feel like you are being overrun with rules, imo.
Is if the way it is worded that makes it appear to be the RULES OF THE HOUSE?
I had to be a bit firm about the no smoking on the porch. I haven't even had a smoker all year so far, but when WE DO they stand by the flippin' front door and light up. Then new guests check in and this is their welcome...
Good food for thought. I have to ask you BD since you know the inn and innkeepers, ARE THERE ARE LIST OF HOUSE RULES? Are they like the reviews said, or are they people who just feel they are a little too constrained in a B&B?
Every time I feel this, I lax up on the guest interaction, and then someone acts like we are hiding or something. We have the polar opposites the same night at the same table in the same place (this B&B). One needs us to do the song dance and hat tricks, the other wants to be left alone!.
Joey Bloggs said:
Good food for thought. I have to ask you BD since you know the inn and innkeepers, ARE THERE ARE LIST OF HOUSE RULES? Are they like the reviews said, or are they people who just feel they are a little too constrained in a B&B?
I think the truth is somewhere inbetween. I've only been in this property once, but got the tour of all the rooms and this is the b&b I refer my guests to when they're looking for that area. I actually swiped/copied how they had binders open on the bed, leaning against the pillows which is opening to their Welcome page & do's and don'ts. Since I didn't stay, I'm afraid I didn't read through their list. I found the innkeepers very charming and like minded with us, and felt very comfortable.
I used this review here only because it illustrates how others perceive us and if we want to convert more folks over to b&bs we can't have rules aimed to the lowest common denominator. It's funny, because those guests who should read the rules are the ones who never do!
Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
. . . It's funny, because those guests who should read the rules are the ones who never do!
I think that's it in a nutshell: those who need the rules won't read them -- or even abide by them -- and those who don't might get insulted by them.

The southern tour sounds good in the winter. Its an easy drive from here to Arkie's place.

I need to go to some B&B's...I have not been to any in a while, I feel I am out of the loop on them again. I know YOU ALL, and I KNOW OUR PLACE. But what else?
Maybe this winter I will do a road trip of sorts. If anyone else is up for it, we can crash a few inns along the way... let me know.
thumbs_up.gif
Now that would be fun!
Ice said:
Now that would be fun!
Let me know Ice. I think you and I would make good road trippers, maybe pick up Innkeep as well?
Joey Bloggs said:
Ice said:
Now that would be fun!
Let me know Ice. I think you and I would make good road trippers, maybe pick up Innkeep as well?
We could be like Oprah and Gail!!!
omg_smile.gif

The southern tour sounds good in the winter. Its an easy drive from here to Arkie's place..
Innkeep said:
The southern tour sounds good in the winter. Its an easy drive from here to Arkie's place.
Just between you and me, you thought here to Memphis was a piece of cake, and that drive just wears me out. You're a driver! You should be driving 18 wheels and getting paid for all that "easy" road time!
Wow! Would love to host any/many of you any time. Especially during these lean months/years when there aren't many heads in those beds here: 2 apartments, each with a king, plus a queen sofabed.
But...dry county so BYOB! Innkeep had EXCELLENT wines of the far north on her, and we polished those off in no time!

Yeah, we're not REAL south, thought I've started a blog series on our town's sufferings in the Civil War. We can get 12"+ snow here. But we're a nice central location.
Copperhead, I'll be in NO Oct. 31-Nov. 2. I've got to stay in the French part of town and won't have a car, but maybe we can get together for a beignet or something. Probably not. Innkeepers never get to leave their house, I hear :)

Yeah, we're not REAL south, thought I've started a blog series on our town's sufferings in the Civil War. We can get 12"+ snow here. But we're a nice central location.
Copperhead, I'll be in NO Oct. 31-Nov. 2. I've got to stay in the French part of town and won't have a car, but maybe we can get together for a beignet or something. Probably not. Innkeepers never get to leave their house, I hear :).
What a time (10/31) to be there! There is a very neat tradition on All Saints Day (11/1) out near me, worth a trip out. If you can get to my blog search it...
I will def. keep this in mind and if possible will try to make the drive down, always love the op for a beignet!!!

Copperhead, I'll be in NO Oct. 31-Nov. 2. I've got to stay in the French part of town and won't have a car, but maybe we can get together for a beignet or something. Probably not. Innkeepers never get to leave their house, I hear :).
What a time (10/31) to be there! There is a very neat tradition on All Saints Day (11/1) out near me, worth a trip out. If you can get to my blog search it...
I will def. keep this in mind and if possible will try to make the drive down, always love the op for a beignet!!!
copperhead said:
If you can get to my blog search it...
Oh yes can find it! I was in Sweden one Christmas and discovered the Swedes put candles on all the graves on Christmas eve...IN THE SNOW! Imagine those candles flickering and reflected in the snow. Amazing sight, amazing tradition.

My point is this "I only learned about the rule book after we left" they never even saw it anyway!!!!!!!!! so how can they possibly comment that there were too many or how much!!!!!

I need to go to some B&B's...I have not been to any in a while, I feel I am out of the loop on them again. I know YOU ALL, and I KNOW OUR PLACE. But what else?
Maybe this winter I will do a road trip of sorts. If anyone else is up for it, we can crash a few inns along the way... let me know.
thumbs_up.gif
Definitely. You do get trapped in your own little world in this business, it's great to see what others are doing (if only to reassure yourself that you're doing it right/better).
We did all B&Bs during our New England road trip last year, and it was great to see B&Bs from a US point of view. It's really made us more tolerant of American visitors, because your B&Bs are quite different from ours.
I've mentioned before that we have a new B&B opened up down the road from us (brand new building), we've had a thank you email from the owners for the people we've been sending their direction, plus and invitation for a glass of wine and a look round next week. Just try and stop me!!!
tounge_smile.gif

My point is this "I only learned about the rule book after we left" they never even saw it anyway!!!!!!!!! so how can they possibly comment that there were too many or how much!!!!!.
My point is this "I only learned about the rule book after we left" they never even saw it anyway!!!!!!!!! so how can they possibly comment that there were too many or how much!!!!!
thumbs_up.gif

It's like the reviewers that say "It wasn't a problem for us, but..............".

thumbs_up.gif
Definitely. You do get trapped in your own little world in this business, it's great to see what others are doing (if only to reassure yourself that you're doing it right/better).
We did all B&Bs during our New England road trip last year, and it was great to see B&Bs from a US point of view. It's really made us more tolerant of American visitors, because your B&Bs are quite different from ours.
I've mentioned before that we have a new B&B opened up down the road from us (brand new building), we've had a thank you email from the owners for the people we've been sending their direction, plus and invitation for a glass of wine and a look round next week. Just try and stop me!!!
tounge_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
tounge_smile.gif
That's just excellent! Exactly as it should be!
Highlands John said:
...made us more tolerant of American visitors, because your B&Bs are quite different from ours.
Yes they are. It would be interesting to research (have someone else research) the history to see if it's always been like that, or if somebody in the U.S. spurred us in the direction we've taken.
B&Bs I've stayed in all over Europe generally really do feel like I've just moved into someone's spare bedroom, although there's often an electric kettle and some instant coffee and hot chocolate available. But in the U.S. it's all kind of kicked up a notch. I'll bet it started in California. Everything always starts there.
But then, the drippin' Vic thing probably comes from New England. Note that I consider New England to be all the original 13 colonies!

thumbs_up.gif
Now that would be fun!
Ice said:
Now that would be fun!
Joey Bloggs said:
Ice said:
Now that would be fun!
omg_smile.gif

Ice said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Ice said:
Now that would be fun!
omg_smile.gif
...or Thelma and Louise...
;)

thumbs_up.gif
Now that would be fun!
Ice said:
Now that would be fun!
May I come too?

Like they said..they aren't B & B people so that's why they wrote the review they did. And they do make good points. We had as few rules as possible. Mostly NO SMOKING..
But it's interesting to read why they're not b&b people. They stated they need more privacy, tv, no rules in their face, etc. Once again, they've lumped all b&bs together with a stereotype and will probably never stay at a b&b.
Breakfast Diva said:
But it's interesting to read why they're not b&b people. They stated they need more privacy, tv, no rules in their face, etc. Once again, they've lumped all b&bs together with a stereotype and will probably never stay at a b&b.
We've had a lot of guests ask what the rules are. Today a guest asked if he could come back to his room during the day or if he had to wait until a certain time.
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
We've had a lot of guests ask what the rules are. Today a guest asked if he could come back to his room during the day or if he had to wait until a certain time.
I have been asked about the rules on time to be in for the night. I tell them that if they are going to be in after Midnight, the door will be "pushed-to" with lock engaged. Just push the door open and use a bit of butt action to close it since it is 101 years old it needs an extra push - that that will make it locked.

thumbs_up.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
tounge_smile.gif
That's just excellent! Exactly as it should be!
Highlands John said:
...made us more tolerant of American visitors, because your B&Bs are quite different from ours.
Yes they are. It would be interesting to research (have someone else research) the history to see if it's always been like that, or if somebody in the U.S. spurred us in the direction we've taken.
B&Bs I've stayed in all over Europe generally really do feel like I've just moved into someone's spare bedroom, although there's often an electric kettle and some instant coffee and hot chocolate available. But in the U.S. it's all kind of kicked up a notch. I'll bet it started in California. Everything always starts there.
But then, the drippin' Vic thing probably comes from New England. Note that I consider New England to be all the original 13 colonies!
A lot of guests here have said it was like home. We started at a few B&B's in Ireland but I don't remember anything other than watching TV in the lounge together.

Why does the reviewer keep calling it a 'motel'? That's nothing short of annoying. Do we really need to tell people not to get drunk and disorderly? That's sort of a given, don't you think?
Also, I thought that the innkeeper's response was lame. He/she basically points out that of the thousands of guests they've had over the years, very few have made problems. So, they have to remind everyone in writing of what not to do because a couple of people have misbehaved in the past? That just doesn't make sense.

Why does the reviewer keep calling it a 'motel'? That's nothing short of annoying. Do we really need to tell people not to get drunk and disorderly? That's sort of a given, don't you think?
Also, I thought that the innkeeper's response was lame. He/she basically points out that of the thousands of guests they've had over the years, very few have made problems. So, they have to remind everyone in writing of what not to do because a couple of people have misbehaved in the past? That just doesn't make sense..
Aussie, after reading a couple dozen of the reviews I got to the realization that this innkeeper may add rules due to a bad guest or two. I did see one review which mentioned that they heard the drunk and disorderly people in the [common] area below them.

Can I have a rule that states you MUST sleep between the sheets and not on top of the blanket? So much frickin' extra laundry now.

Can I have a rule that states you MUST sleep between the sheets and not on top of the blanket? So much frickin' extra laundry now..
I sometimes wish I could put a sign that says. "In case you don't know hygiene... the top and bottom sheets are there for a reason, dumbass!"

Back