B&B vs. Inn

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deercrossing

Reaction score
What is it that makes a B&B an Inn? I am under the impression that it is serving more than just breakfast. We love our name of Deer Crossing Bed & Breakfast (19 years) but have been tantalized with the idea of "The Inn at Deer Crossing". Yes, we have lots of deer, elk, wild turkey, bears, marmots, birds on our place.
Breakfast is tough enough.

Some states have written differences in licensing but each not a standard. Some specify meals, some specify # of rooms...
While I like the flow of the new name, changing your name can result in loosing the brand you have established with the current one. I would suggest not changing the name unless you need to reestablish your business due to a different focus. Before making such a move consult an expert in marketing / branding to get their advise. Also check with your state, states that have certain category rules may not allow it. I recall years ago that FL made many name brand hotel chains remove 'bed and breakfast' from their signs & marketing as they did not fit the terms used in the state.

Some states have written differences in licensing but each not a standard. Some specify meals, some specify # of rooms...
While I like the flow of the new name, changing your name can result in loosing the brand you have established with the current one. I would suggest not changing the name unless you need to reestablish your business due to a different focus. Before making such a move consult an expert in marketing / branding to get their advise. Also check with your state, states that have certain category rules may not allow it. I recall years ago that FL made many name brand hotel chains remove 'bed and breakfast' from their signs & marketing as they did not fit the terms used in the state..
Excellent advice... Thanks Copperhead...

It may have legal implications where you are. But, we're also an 'inn' but in name only. We're really a B&B. And it is confusing. Guests regularly think we do not serve a free breakfast but we do serve a dinner.

I agree with CH, I wouldn't change the name unless you're trying to change the whole feeling of your place.
When we bought our place, it had the word Inn in the name. We were a regular bed and breakfast and didn't do dinners. It's confusing to folks. Sometimes people don't realize we're a bed and breakfast...they don't even know what an inn is, except like a Holiday Inn!
We now do dinners, so we're in line with the 'official' definition of an inn, but really, nothing has changed, including the perception of the public.

Here (Innspiring) we use B & B and inn interchangeably. We ARE innkeepers.

As Gillumhouse said, most of us call ourselves inns and innkeepers from time to time, so if it's not violating any local rules, I give you permission to change ;-)
I've seen more than one big company change names, the same way Kinkos became FedEx Office over a period of years.
For about a year they were Kinkos FedEx, with the word Kinkos larger and on top.
Then they spent a year as FedEx Kinkos, both words equal size and side by side.
Then they became FedEx Office.
So you might do it in steps, over time. Perhaps start off changing your signs, letterheads, website, etc. to have
Deer Crossing Bed & Breakfast
"The Inn at Deer Crossing"
Like the Inn part is just a slogan or something. Then a year or so later go to
The Inn at Deer Crossing
"Deer Crossing Bed & Breakfast"
Then over time, the new name gets larger and the old name gets smaller until it disappears. Certainly, though, that's some trouble and expense to change signage over time, but that seems to be how big companies change their names without losing the familiarity of the old name: they do it slowly over time.

As Gillumhouse said, most of us call ourselves inns and innkeepers from time to time, so if it's not violating any local rules, I give you permission to change ;-)
I've seen more than one big company change names, the same way Kinkos became FedEx Office over a period of years.
For about a year they were Kinkos FedEx, with the word Kinkos larger and on top.
Then they spent a year as FedEx Kinkos, both words equal size and side by side.
Then they became FedEx Office.
So you might do it in steps, over time. Perhaps start off changing your signs, letterheads, website, etc. to have
Deer Crossing Bed & Breakfast
"The Inn at Deer Crossing"
Like the Inn part is just a slogan or something. Then a year or so later go to
The Inn at Deer Crossing
"Deer Crossing Bed & Breakfast"
Then over time, the new name gets larger and the old name gets smaller until it disappears. Certainly, though, that's some trouble and expense to change signage over time, but that seems to be how big companies change their names without losing the familiarity of the old name: they do it slowly over time..
AND retain the old domain name as you redirect things to the new domain name. ALWAYS pay for BOTH domain names so you have it both ways and some sleazeball does not come along and turn the old domain into por n.

In our area 4 rooms is a B&B. More then 4 is an Inn. Inn also service dinner. A lodge is a cross of Inn and resort. Resort being where guest stay and do spa or some healthy services.

I would be very concerned with changing your name and having both out there on the internet. It keeps getting drummed into us (by acorn) that google is now very strict about your NAP (name, address, phone) is the same everywhere online. We had some listings that had our name as XYZ Inn Bed and Breakfast, and that is not our official name. I had to contact all sites to make sure our NAP was the same everywhere. It can affect your google organic ranking.

I would be very concerned with changing your name and having both out there on the internet. It keeps getting drummed into us (by acorn) that google is now very strict about your NAP (name, address, phone) is the same everywhere online. We had some listings that had our name as XYZ Inn Bed and Breakfast, and that is not our official name. I had to contact all sites to make sure our NAP was the same everywhere. It can affect your google organic ranking..
IF they changed the name and domain name, I think the old domain name would just have a redirect to the new one if anyone entered it.

Google is very important, but I'm not sure I'd let them alone prevent me from renaming my business if I wanted to do it. Sure, you'd take something of a hit, for a while, by making the change. That's bound to be part of it. But it's not a 100% hit.

Just throwing this out there: Inn at Deer Crossing is much farther down an ABC list than Deer Crossing B&B.

Inns don't need to serve dinner or even have a restaurant. Ever stay at a Knig hts "inn"? Com fort Inn? Just a motel.
We've eaten at a Golden Jersey Inn locally. It's just a restaurant. No beds.
So...what's an "inn"? I think it would be for a lodging establishment more than 4 rooms. Maybe even more than 6 or 8.
Hard to define I guess......

I would be very concerned with changing your name and having both out there on the internet. It keeps getting drummed into us (by acorn) that google is now very strict about your NAP (name, address, phone) is the same everywhere online. We had some listings that had our name as XYZ Inn Bed and Breakfast, and that is not our official name. I had to contact all sites to make sure our NAP was the same everywhere. It can affect your google organic ranking..
IF they changed the name and domain name, I think the old domain name would just have a redirect to the new one if anyone entered it.
Redirects only work if they are done correctly. Also that is only part of the equation. For things like local/map search consistency of "signals" or "citations" is important. That is the part Breakfast Diva was bringing up. 15 citations all saying the same thing can be more powerful than 30 citations with variations.

Back