B&B's and Pets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We allow 2-legged animals but not the 4-legged.
When our dog was so old & feeble we had to say goodbye, we decided to not replace. Especially knowing we were going to open a B & B. I did not want to lose guests to allergies (but I was also old enough to know I did not want to be walking a dog in all kinds of weather). As long as your pets stay in YOUR area and would not object to other 4-legged visitors AND you could have a room with easy access (ground floor and/or private entrance) taking them will benefit your revenue stream. More and more people are traveling with Fifi and refuse to be separated from the darling that get treated better than a kid would be. My rooms are all on the second floor - not suitable..
We just lost our small dog. We did not allow other dogs in our B&B. The main reason she didnot like to sharing her yard with any other dog. She was well behaved with people but for some strange reason she would get most upset if others entered her space.
She was never allowed in the guest rooms at any time. My main reason was I never knew if one of our guest had allergies. Even tho she was a non allergic dog. Some people are very upset if pets were in there rooms. Most of the time my guest never knew we owned a pet , Even though a picture of her was on our web site. Others did not mind a pet being here.
Flower, I am so sorry for your loss. It's been since the beginning of Dec that we lost ours and I still burst out in tears sometimes. Hang in there.
We had guests a few weeks ago whose dog died recently. Their dog had the same name as mine and it was tough to hear their story because I kept thinking about my dog.
Awwwww, I'm sorry. I forgot you lost your recently too. I can't believe how many of us this has happened to. It's especially tough when guests ask if we have a dog, or the repeat guests ask where ours is.
Sorry Maddy
broken_heart.gif

Our repeats have been more tentative lately about asking. They know from last year that she was pretty sick (no more guest appearances). Not everyone is on the email list (it's an opt in) so not everyone knows.

We allow 2-legged animals but not the 4-legged.
When our dog was so old & feeble we had to say goodbye, we decided to not replace. Especially knowing we were going to open a B & B. I did not want to lose guests to allergies (but I was also old enough to know I did not want to be walking a dog in all kinds of weather). As long as your pets stay in YOUR area and would not object to other 4-legged visitors AND you could have a room with easy access (ground floor and/or private entrance) taking them will benefit your revenue stream. More and more people are traveling with Fifi and refuse to be separated from the darling that get treated better than a kid would be. My rooms are all on the second floor - not suitable..
We just lost our small dog. We did not allow other dogs in our B&B. The main reason she didnot like to sharing her yard with any other dog. She was well behaved with people but for some strange reason she would get most upset if others entered her space.
She was never allowed in the guest rooms at any time. My main reason was I never knew if one of our guest had allergies. Even tho she was a non allergic dog. Some people are very upset if pets were in there rooms. Most of the time my guest never knew we owned a pet , Even though a picture of her was on our web site. Others did not mind a pet being here.
Flower, I am so sorry for your loss. It's been since the beginning of Dec that we lost ours and I still burst out in tears sometimes. Hang in there.
Thank you . We are both hanging in. Some day it is no so bad.
I touch another dog and felt like I should of not. Felt it was disrespectful. Strange feel it was. This to will pass.
I am truly sorry for your loss of your campanion.

We do not allow pets. I love dogs - have two at home (I do not live at the Inn). We tried to get the owners to convert it to pet-friendly since the town is extremely pet friendly and we knew it would help with reservations, but they would not. Our Inn was built in 1890's and we can't afford to let any wear-n-tear happen at all. Also, the upkeep of my own residence with these dogs is enough - I'm grateful that we don't have to keep the Inn clear of all the pet hair too.

We have dogs & cats & none are allowed in the guest areas. Many times guests haven't known that we have pets, although it does say so on our website.
Sometimes folks request to meet them in which case we bring them to the enclosed (outside) courtyard (dogs leashed). We also work with the local animal group & have fostered over 30 animals & many adoption connections have happened via guests meeting our fosters (they don't go home w/them, but apply, etc., etc. & animals adopted to them later).
We've never had a problem with the allergy question as they aren't allowed in the inside guest areas.
We also lost a dog this past year. I know how hard it is, but know that there are so many great animals out there just waiting for forever families & so "Kona" (our pup who passed away) is smiling from her side of the rainbow bridge knowing we're helping other dogs & cats!
We don't accept guest pets. Again, however can supply "pet therapy" for those missing thier pets while on holiday :)

We have dogs & cats & none are allowed in the guest areas. Many times guests haven't known that we have pets, although it does say so on our website.
Sometimes folks request to meet them in which case we bring them to the enclosed (outside) courtyard (dogs leashed). We also work with the local animal group & have fostered over 30 animals & many adoption connections have happened via guests meeting our fosters (they don't go home w/them, but apply, etc., etc. & animals adopted to them later).
We've never had a problem with the allergy question as they aren't allowed in the inside guest areas.
We also lost a dog this past year. I know how hard it is, but know that there are so many great animals out there just waiting for forever families & so "Kona" (our pup who passed away) is smiling from her side of the rainbow bridge knowing we're helping other dogs & cats!
We don't accept guest pets. Again, however can supply "pet therapy" for those missing thier pets while on holiday :).
We sometimes do "pet therapy" with our rabbits and for some unknown reason people like to be photographed with them. Luckily our boys are very placid and photogenic and are used to being handled and cuddled as they have been since they were very small (you can see it on their facial expressions "here comes another one") makes me laugh

We have a dog and allow guest dogs in two of our rooms. We talk about both on our website; plus in our confirmation email I state "We have one friendly dog in residence and guests dogs may be present during your stay." Don't want to surprise anyone.
Some guests never see our dog while they're here. Some ask where she is within the first few minutes of arriving so they've read the website. Some get their 'dog fix' if they miss their own dog while they're on holiday.
As for guest dogs, some of our best repeat guests are the ones who bring their dog. It's hard for them to find a nice place that takes dogs so when they do, they're careful not to screw it up! Many of them come back over and over again, often multiple times throughout the year, and they're good for referring others.

I am an aspiring innkeeper, but also someone who has frequented B&Bs for many years -- I'd say over 100 night stays.
The past 6 years, my girlfriend and I have had a dog. Let me tell you, the B&Bs that accepted dogs willingly will always be on the top of our list, even when we don't take the pooch.
These B&B's charge in the range of $30-$50 per night, and really cater to the dogs -- with plush dog-beds, treats, nice bowls, etc. Look at it like someone being nice to your children, which goes a long way. I've always found these B&B extremely clean also.
Frankly, in California and growingly across the US, accepting pets is more and more frequent. In addition, the atmosphere at these B&Bs among dog owners is also very friendly.
When I finally find my B&B to purchase, I'll certainly take pets (and kids too :)

I am an aspiring innkeeper, but also someone who has frequented B&Bs for many years -- I'd say over 100 night stays.
The past 6 years, my girlfriend and I have had a dog. Let me tell you, the B&Bs that accepted dogs willingly will always be on the top of our list, even when we don't take the pooch.
These B&B's charge in the range of $30-$50 per night, and really cater to the dogs -- with plush dog-beds, treats, nice bowls, etc. Look at it like someone being nice to your children, which goes a long way. I've always found these B&B extremely clean also.
Frankly, in California and growingly across the US, accepting pets is more and more frequent. In addition, the atmosphere at these B&Bs among dog owners is also very friendly.
When I finally find my B&B to purchase, I'll certainly take pets (and kids too :).
edgehill2014 said:
When I finally find my B&B to purchase, I'll certainly take pets (and kids too :)
Jules may I ask a question, when you stay at a pet friendly B&B do you stay just one night or is it a multi-night stay?

When I finally find my B&B to purchase, I'll certainly take pets (and kids too :).
edgehill2014 said:
We allowed pets for years. Mostly because it was only die hard dog lovers who brought their dogs with them. Now it's everyone. People who shouldn't even HAVE a dog want to bring them along. What do they do with the dog all day? They want to leave it in the room because they want to go do stuff and the dog will get in the way.
We also had bowls, treats, bedding, a guide for parks where dogs were allowed, etc. We upcharged $25 for the extras. Guests would call and say, '$25!!! It costs less to leave the dog at the kennel!!! Are you also going to feed and walk the dog for me???'
Our dog room was kept spotless, as is the rest of the inn. You will get allergic guests who won't book. We limited the dogs to one room. Guests would refuse that room sure that it was a dumpy room if we allowed dogs in it.
Last year we had a series of guests who were not fit dog owners and after spending 3 hours cleaning the room after one dog ran amok we got out of the dog biz.
My neighbor picked up the slack. She sometimes has dogs in every room every night. Now I only take dogs we know and like.

I take Dogs and well behaved children.
I have one, Pyrennees with a bit of Malamute, he is available for walkies by guests and anybody passing.

We have a pet but do not allow pets as guests. As Maddie stated people are bringing pets that should not even be pet owners!
My pet story in brief:
1) Two 20 somethings smuggle a teacup pet in their room. Left the dog alone while they went out partying at a nightclub. The dog barked the entire time and the next morning we told them they could not stay their 2nd night. Came in and the carpet had been raveled at the seam by the dog.
2) Regular guest booked and arrived with 2 furry little balls. He said 'I knew you would not mind' as he kept them in a cage out side near his room. The cage was too small for the two of them and I felt horrible for them. He has not been back since.
3) Late arrival guest woke early and I found him walking his greyhound in the yard. He had left him in the sm art car overnight!!!

Several years ago, before we bought the High Mountain Lodge, we went on an impromptu vacation when my wife got promoted at work. I'd just put a magazine to bed, so it was a good time for us to go on vacation. About six months before, we had adopted a Keeshond, Murphy, from rescue (we were her 4th family in a year-and-a half, and she had major abandonment issues), so there was no way we could, in good conscience, put her in a kennel for a week.
So my wife, Julie--a former travel agent, began putting together a dog-friendly vacation for us. Among the places she found was the Hotel Colorado in Glenwood Springs, CO. The HC was Teddy Roosevelt's "western White House" back in the day, and they accepted dogs. Didn't even charge extra.

We had had Murphy groomed before we left on vacation, so to be über-pretentious at the Hotel Colorado, we would get off the elevator on the mezzanine and walk her down the Grand Staircase when we were leaving to hotel.
Great fun. But when we were putting together the business plan for the High Mountain Lodge, we remembered the graciousness of everybody on the staff about our dog. We made a conscious decision--a business decision--that we would be dog friendly.
It has paid off in spades for us.
But then, we're a funky ski lodge and not a "high end" B&B. Dogs are welcome in all of our rooms except the ones adjacent to the indoor pool.
Our website notes, "Dogs with well-mannered owners are welcome at the High Mountain Lodge." Dog owners appreciate the humor, and Julie is convinced that non-dog-owners get the message to behave themselves as well; I'm not convinced that the majority of the traveling public is that sensitive to nuance.

Anyway, we get a huge amount of business from couples/families traveling with their dogs. In the winter when our guests are coming to ski, we're a little more strict. Regardless if the dogs are crated or free in the room, we insist that someone check on the animal at mid-day.
I don't need two hands to count the times we have had to rescue a barking dog (and that's what it is--a rescue) from a guest room and bring it to our office, where it gets fussed over and given a treat and told, sternly, to behave.
Only once in five years have we had to threaten a guest (figuratively) with the proverbial rolled-up newspaper.
Bottom line: dogs aren't an issue for us as long as our human guests are at least a few notches up from clueless.
Tom

Back