B&B's and Pets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inn my dreams

Reaction score
Do you.....
Have pets and allow pets?
Have pets but don't allow pets?
Don't have pets and allow pets?
Don't have pets and don't allow pets?
We have a lab (mix) - 6 years old; and a maltipoo - 7 years old -- so the likelihood we still have them as we enter a B&B (probably in 2-3 years) is high. However, I would not want to allow pets of guests. Sounds a little hypocritical, so was wondering about others choices.

We allow 2-legged animals but not the 4-legged.
When our dog was so old & feeble we had to say goodbye, we decided to not replace. Especially knowing we were going to open a B & B. I did not want to lose guests to allergies (but I was also old enough to know I did not want to be walking a dog in all kinds of weather). As long as your pets stay in YOUR area and would not object to other 4-legged visitors AND you could have a room with easy access (ground floor and/or private entrance) taking them will benefit your revenue stream. More and more people are traveling with Fifi and refuse to be separated from the darling that get treated better than a kid would be. My rooms are all on the second floor - not suitable.

Had pets. Allow guest pets in a limited area. Do not like inn pets running loose when I go somewhere to stay. Most guests love the inn pets if they are well-behaved. No jumping. No barking. No chasing. No biting.

I am in the process of acquiring a large piece of land which will become a farm stay. I will have both pet and kid friendly accommodations in several of the cottages but not in the main inn.
I have a large stupid shepard which belongs to my middle child a DD that is 30 + # over the weight limit for off campus housing, lucky me he will be staying with me!
I have several cats, they are part of the landscape and at no time will any of the domesticated or farm animals be in the guest quarters. The way the place I am purchasing is set up I will have separate quarters from the main inn and the guest cottages so I can offer both 2 and 4 legged animal friendly accommodations and rooms or cottages where they can be totally allergen free, even if you are allergic to small children.

We've had a dog for most of our time here and a cat. Our guests loved our dog when they would be greeted by her outside. We have a separate innkeepers house (small) on the property, so our pets and the guest areas never mingle. Our dog died in Dec and we've decided not to get another one because they take so much time to train and it needs to be a special dog that is a good fit for a b&b (doesn't bark, etc.)
I recently lost a reservation because we had a cat on the property even though we assured them he was never in any guest building.

No pets. We have none. We take guests with pets in the vacation rental only.

When our dog was so old & feeble we had to say goodbye, we decided to not replace. Especially knowing we were going to open a B & B. I did not want to lose guests to allergies (but I was also old enough to know I did not want to be walking a dog in all kinds of weather). As long as your pets stay in YOUR area and would not object to other 4-legged visitors AND you could have a room with easy access (ground floor and/or private entrance) taking them will benefit your revenue stream. More and more people are traveling with Fifi and refuse to be separated from the darling that get treated better than a kid would be. My rooms are all on the second floor - not suitable..
We just lost our small dog. We did not allow other dogs in our B&B. The main reason she didnot like to sharing her yard with any other dog. She was well behaved with people but for some strange reason she would get most upset if others entered her space.
She was never allowed in the guest rooms at any time. My main reason was I never knew if one of our guest had allergies. Even tho she was a non allergic dog. Some people are very upset if pets were in there rooms. Most of the time my guest never knew we owned a pet , Even though a picture of her was on our web site. Others did not mind a pet being here.

Could not edit my reply to add: My dog was OK with our kids but did not like any other kids - nipped at a cousin's brat that ignored being told the dog did not like kids and leave him alone in his area so of course invaded and irritated the poor dog. One never knows what will set a normally docile animal off. Another reason I feel innkeeper pets and guests should not mix - period. (Plus you do not know what those guests might be bringing in to YOUR pet.) Plus one walk in the grass could bring the invasion of fleas. BTDT.

We've had a dog for most of our time here and a cat. Our guests loved our dog when they would be greeted by her outside. We have a separate innkeepers house (small) on the property, so our pets and the guest areas never mingle. Our dog died in Dec and we've decided not to get another one because they take so much time to train and it needs to be a special dog that is a good fit for a b&b (doesn't bark, etc.)
I recently lost a reservation because we had a cat on the property even though we assured them he was never in any guest building..
I don't think I knew your dog died. Sorry to hear that. I know what you mean about needing to find the right kind of dog and having time to train it properly. No more inn pets for us.

When our dog was so old & feeble we had to say goodbye, we decided to not replace. Especially knowing we were going to open a B & B. I did not want to lose guests to allergies (but I was also old enough to know I did not want to be walking a dog in all kinds of weather). As long as your pets stay in YOUR area and would not object to other 4-legged visitors AND you could have a room with easy access (ground floor and/or private entrance) taking them will benefit your revenue stream. More and more people are traveling with Fifi and refuse to be separated from the darling that get treated better than a kid would be. My rooms are all on the second floor - not suitable..
We just lost our small dog. We did not allow other dogs in our B&B. The main reason she didnot like to sharing her yard with any other dog. She was well behaved with people but for some strange reason she would get most upset if others entered her space.
She was never allowed in the guest rooms at any time. My main reason was I never knew if one of our guest had allergies. Even tho she was a non allergic dog. Some people are very upset if pets were in there rooms. Most of the time my guest never knew we owned a pet , Even though a picture of her was on our web site. Others did not mind a pet being here.
Sorry to hear about your dog. I know what you mean about guests not even knowing there was a dog around even with the photo on the website! I let our guests know in my email newsletter that our dog had died and some wrote back that they didn't even know we had a dog!

I recently lost a reservation because we had a cat on the property even though we assured them he was never in any guest building..
I don't think I knew your dog died. Sorry to hear that. I know what you mean about needing to find the right kind of dog and having time to train it properly. No more inn pets for us.
Madeleine said:
Thanks Maddy, it's such a heartbreak when they die. Don't want to go through that for a long time.

We had two senior dogs when we opened our biz. I did not realize how much work they were until we opened the B&B and how much time they took in addition to everything else. They were not allowed in guest areas and we had a separate innkeepers' area for them in our yard. They were old and fragile so we didn't really allow guest interaction with them. We also had a porch cat that a lot of our guests liked. We had information about the dogs and cat on our website.
We did not allow guest pets at all, but we had a couple of good boarding facilities to recommend.

Sorry to hear about your dog. I know what you mean about guests not even knowing there was a dog around even with the photo on the website! I let our guests know in my email newsletter that our dog had died and some wrote back that they didn't even know we had a dog!
Thanks Madie. WE are still hurting. It been 13 weeks GOD how I miss her so so much. Not just me but hubby too. We were luck to have her for 15 wonderful years and that I am truly blessed and very lucky. It is just we miss her so much. Will there be another....... well Iam not sure???? we are older now .

The thing with personal pets is you never know how they will react to other people's animals or how their animals will react to them - so in some ways you are better off taking pets without having any pets of your own - if that makes any sense?
We don't take animals but do have several neighbours who do so I refer them there.

We had two senior dogs when we opened our biz. I did not realize how much work they were until we opened the B&B and how much time they took in addition to everything else. They were not allowed in guest areas and we had a separate innkeepers' area for them in our yard. They were old and fragile so we didn't really allow guest interaction with them. We also had a porch cat that a lot of our guests liked. We had information about the dogs and cat on our website.
We did not allow guest pets at all, but we had a couple of good boarding facilities to recommend..
Samster said:
We did not allow guest pets at all, but we had a couple of good boarding facilities to recommend.
I think this is my preference. Keep my animals away from guests/guest areas and not allow pets. I do not travel with my pets, I board them. It is a better experience for us all! But, I know some folks who can't be separated from their furry friends. Great idea to know the good boarding facilities in your area. Thanks!

Breakfast Diva said:
I recently lost a reservation because we had a cat on the property even though we assured them he was never in any guest building.
So sorry about your loss. Our pets become so much a part of the family and it's heartbreaking to lose them. I hope my lab mellows in the next couple of years as he ages. He's the sweetest dog in the world, but he loves, loves, loves people and cannot understand why everyone doesn't want him in their face! lol

Flower, I am so sorry for your loss. It's been since the beginning of Dec that we lost ours and I still burst out in tears sometimes. Hang in there.

Flower, I am so sorry for your loss. It's been since the beginning of Dec that we lost ours and I still burst out in tears sometimes. Hang in there.
We had guests a few weeks ago whose dog died recently. Their dog had the same name as mine and it was tough to hear their story because I kept thinking about my dog.

We had guests a few weeks ago whose dog died recently. Their dog had the same name as mine and it was tough to hear their story because I kept thinking about my dog.
Awwwww, I'm sorry. I forgot you lost your recently too. I can't believe how many of us this has happened to. It's especially tough when guests ask if we have a dog, or the repeat guests ask where ours is.
Sorry Maddy
broken_heart.gif

BD & Flower - so sorry to hear of your losses.
We recently added a dog to our family after 10+ years. It was hard to decide whether it would be the right decision as we do not alow guests to bring pets. But it was the right decision for US, he has added so much joy to our lives. Since this is new for us we have our feelers out for guest reactions to the dog. We have it on our site but it is not BOLD. He is usually in my arms when I welcome guests to the inn. On the very rare occasion that a guest seems to be afraid or leary, we keep the dog away from them during their stay. He is never allowed in the guest rooms or is out during breakfast.
We also have an outside cat who is now 7. Many repeat guests have asked about the cat when they call to book. I have never knowingly lost a reservation because of allergies to animals. Most ask about the cat as I think cat dander is worse than dogs.
So quick answer is Yes we have pets but NO we don't accept guest pets.
BTW, DH also thought it was hypocritical until we had a guest sneak in a purse pet, then leave it to go out on the town. The dog whinned and barked through the night AND morning. And we had to ask them to leave.... finding torn carpeting in the closet where they had left the poor thing. He no longer feels that way.

Back