Baby sitting our guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it COULD BE WORSE... I am posting this inn the news in here...nice catchy title I might add. DOH!
Collierville cracks whip on sex-bondage house
Memphis Commercial Appeal
By Cindy Wolff An ad for an "adult" bed and breakfast in Collierville is being used as evidence against James Williams in a charge that he didn't comply ....
Joey Bloggs said:
I guess it COULD BE WORSE... I am posting this inn the news in here...nice catchy title I might add. DOH!
By Cindy Wolff An ad for an "adult" bed and breakfast in Collierville is being used as evidence against James Williams in a charge that he didn't comply ...
Oh MY! Now there's a whole different market niche....
Oh dear, hadn't really planned on going in that direction... but with the economy and all....

There are a couple of things to think about:
  1. How many rooms will you have? This will often dictate how much time can be devoted to each guest for chit-chat. It's a lot quicker to handle a few rooms day-to-day than a bunch of rooms or several buildings.
  2. Where will you be located? If you're somewhere as a destination in itself, guests will hang around. Lots of things to do in your town or area, they'll be out & about most of the day.
  3. Will you have any help? If not, chances are you will be BUSY....especially if you have more than a couple of rooms. Your day will be a long one. You might want to retire to your innkeeper's quarters at a certain time each day.
  4. How much will you provide for your guests? If you have plenty of amenities and a guest info book in your guest rooms and other local info and shared amenities (like a guest fridge w/complimentary beverages, 24 hr coffee, guest computer), you will find that your guests will rarely seek you out for a needle & thread, spare toothbrush, restaurant menu, etc.
  5. How much do you actually like to SERVE people? If you don't, then you will likely feel that you are having to either babysit your guests or that they are constantly demanding attention of you even if that probably isn't the case.
Most of the great reviews that I read about innkeepers that I know, where the guests speak about how hospitable their hosts were, are because those innkeepers have figured out how to provide excellent service but still establish professional boundaries. It doesn't happen immediately. You have to figure out how you can be the best innkeeper that you want to be and still have a life.

1. How many rooms will you have? This will often dictate how much time can be devoted to each guest for chit-chat. It's a lot quicker to handle a few rooms day-to-day than a bunch of rooms or several buildings.
  2. Where will you be located? If you're somewhere as a destination in itself, guests will hang around. Lots of things to do in your town or area, they'll be out & about most of the day.
  3. Will you have any help? If not, chances are you will be BUSY....especially if you have more than a couple of rooms. Your day will be a long one. You might want to retire to your innkeeper's quarters at a certain time each day.
  4. How much will you provide for your guests? If you have plenty of amenities and a guest info book in your guest rooms and other local info and shared amenities (like a guest fridge w/complimentary beverages, 24 hr coffee, guest computer), you will find that your guests will rarely seek you out for a needle & thread, spare toothbrush, restaurant menu, etc.
  5. How much do you actually like to SERVE people? If you don't, then you will likely feel that you are having to either babysit your guests or that they are constantly demanding attention of you even if that probably isn't the case.
Most of the great reviews that I read about innkeepers that I know, where the guests speak about how hospitable their hosts were, are because those innkeepers have figured out how to provide excellent service but still establish professional boundaries. It doesn't happen immediately. You have to figure out how you can be the best innkeeper that you want to be and still have a life..
Samster said:
  1. Where will you be located? If you're somewhere as a destination in itself, guests will hang around. Lots of things to do in your town or area, they'll be out & about most of the day.
This is not true for us. There are literally HUNDREDS of things to do in our busy tourist area, yet you'd be amazed how many of them are able to see it all from my parlor/yard! We get lots of folks who just won't leave. Not that they all need hand-holding, but the chance is higher if they are "hang arounds".

Most of the great reviews that I read about innkeepers that I know, where the guests speak about how hospitable their hosts were, are because those innkeepers have figured out how to provide excellent service but still establish professional boundaries. It doesn't happen immediately. You have to figure out how you can be the best innkeeper that you want to be and still have a life..
Samster said:
  1. Where will you be located? If you're somewhere as a destination in itself, guests will hang around. Lots of things to do in your town or area, they'll be out & about most of the day.
This is not true for us. There are literally HUNDREDS of things to do in our busy tourist area, yet you'd be amazed how many of them are able to see it all from my parlor/yard! We get lots of folks who just won't leave. Not that they all need hand-holding, but the chance is higher if they are "hang arounds".
Don Draper said:
Samster said:
Without giving anything away about your location, I can see why people would not want to leave. This is what I mean, it is difficult to express it here, standing there or there or over there I can say I totally get the guests and the innkeepers on many issued that do not apply to me here, whatsoever. Walk ins? What are those.
tounge_smile.gif

Samster said:
This is my point exactly, Don....because of where you are located, you're essentially a "destination" for some travelers. :) Although you might not see it that way, they feel no need to go anywhere else.

Samster said:
Don Draper said:
Samster said:
Without giving anything away about your location, I can see why people would not want to leave. This is what I mean, it is difficult to express it here, standing there or there or over there I can say I totally get the guests and the innkeepers on many issued that do not apply to me here, whatsoever. Walk ins? What are those.
tounge_smile.gif

Walk ins? What are those.
tounge_smile.gif

For me, a walk-in is someone who called from 3 hours away (or less) to check availability and make the reservation.

"Officially" in hotel speak is someone that arrives at your door (hotel) with no reservation to see if you have availability. I very seldom have those but their money is as green as anyone elses. Some Inns don't like to take them as they are "not prepared for them"
My check out rooms are 99.9% never left dirty overnight so if I have an available room it's clean and I can always whip up some eggs or a waffle so for my it's no big deal, a room is not like a T shirt, if you don't sell it tonight the revenue is lost but again EACH TO HIS OWN so don't slam me please I am just stating what I do and answering the question.
You may want to buy a book or even search the web for "hotel terminology" because we pretty much use the same terms and if and when you get a res system it will help if you understand these

"Officially" in hotel speak is someone that arrives at your door (hotel) with no reservation to see if you have availability. I very seldom have those but their money is as green as anyone elses. Some Inns don't like to take them as they are "not prepared for them"
My check out rooms are 99.9% never left dirty overnight so if I have an available room it's clean and I can always whip up some eggs or a waffle so for my it's no big deal, a room is not like a T shirt, if you don't sell it tonight the revenue is lost but again EACH TO HIS OWN so don't slam me please I am just stating what I do and answering the question.
You may want to buy a book or even search the web for "hotel terminology" because we pretty much use the same terms and if and when you get a res system it will help if you understand these.
"Officially" in hotel speak is someone that arrives at your door (hotel) with no reservation to see if you have availability.
Having spent over 10 years as a relief night auditor (which I found out on my first night at that hotel was also desk, reservations, MOD, etc), I totally know what a walk-in means. I am not in a place where people just walk up to the door. I do take them what calls from the road. I also know I will not have (usually) anyone knocking on the door - therefore I usually get the bed made and towels in the bathroom, but to avoid having to re-clean, wait until arrival day to do the real cleaning. I have "suggested" the caller go have dinner before coming to check in - so the room was fresh and clean. This time of year, there are more dog sleds at the Equator than guests here. We are 6+ miles from the Interstate and there are 3 hotels now - just at the Exit I bring people in at. Come on Spring!!!!

By Cindy Wolff An ad for an "adult" bed and breakfast in Collierville is being used as evidence against James Williams in a charge that he didn't comply ....
Okay, that is hilarious. It made me think about all the times I try to discourage kids by saying we're an adult B&B. Gotta say, I'm liking the rates they charge....hmmmm.
I remember something on here not long ago about a pink stripper pole....wonder where I could get one? And a black whip.
It's been a long day, and I'm going to bed now, smiling. Thanks, Joey.
whattha.gif

Okay, that is hilarious. It made me think about all the times I try to discourage kids by saying we're an adult B&B. Gotta say, I'm liking the rates they charge....hmmmm.
I remember something on here not long ago about a pink stripper pole....wonder where I could get one? And a black whip.
whattha.gif

InnBloom said:
whattha.gif
Innbloom, now you've got me giggling and shaking my head. I was the one with the guest who had a stripper pole..I've also got a black whip a different guest forgot under the bed! I'm not kidding!!!!! I'll sell it to you cheap.

As someone else mentioned above, we frequently also ask our guests in passing if they need anything.
Also, funny, but true that some guests do "follow you around" & sometimes ask "So, what are you going to do today-which beach?" because they really do think that you are on vacation, too (lol!!), not even noticing that you are running about sweeping, cleaning, folding & carrying laundry, etc.

As someone else mentioned above, we frequently also ask our guests in passing if they need anything.
Also, funny, but true that some guests do "follow you around" & sometimes ask "So, what are you going to do today-which beach?" because they really do think that you are on vacation, too (lol!!), not even noticing that you are running about sweeping, cleaning, folding & carrying laundry, etc.

And if not mentioned, forseeing guests needs will help them find what they need when they need it and not have to ask all the time.
I was at a B&B in November who had thought of everything. Whatever I wanted it was there! I was impressed!

And if not mentioned, forseeing guests needs will help them find what they need when they need it and not have to ask all the time.
I was at a B&B in November who had thought of everything. Whatever I wanted it was there! I was impressed!.
I agree - one of my favourite comments was:
"it seemed to be there before we'd even realized we wanted it".

I think that it's important if you're an aspiring, to pay close attention to where the owner's quarters, kitchen and laundry rooms are in the properties you're look at. You MUST be able to close the guests off so you can work and live in privacy.

Woo Hoo am having a relaxing day of sorts My godbrother has gotten started on the bathroom in room 8 and as all men do has made a right mess stripping everything out (he always finishes up tidily it is just a mess till that point) it is going to look fab (will take pics for web site etc) and the 21st of Feb for my new windows is rapidly approaching! If he cracks on which I hope he will then we are going to do room 7 as well. However on the down side one of the toilets we have bought was broken when I opened the box so had to dash back to the hardwear shop and luckily they had another and changed it in a minute so we are all set to go. I am checking the other one I have bought though. wish me luck!

Woo Hoo am having a relaxing day of sorts My godbrother has gotten started on the bathroom in room 8 and as all men do has made a right mess stripping everything out (he always finishes up tidily it is just a mess till that point) it is going to look fab (will take pics for web site etc) and the 21st of Feb for my new windows is rapidly approaching! If he cracks on which I hope he will then we are going to do room 7 as well. However on the down side one of the toilets we have bought was broken when I opened the box so had to dash back to the hardwear shop and luckily they had another and changed it in a minute so we are all set to go. I am checking the other one I have bought though. wish me luck!.
I'm so happy for you! It really feels great to be able to refresh, repair or create rooms you feel even more proud of.

Heck I was just happy to be able to get out of the house today, take myself for lunch at Olive Garden (40 min drive) and raid Target and Big Lots!!! and NO breakfasts tomorrow!!!

Heck I was just happy to be able to get out of the house today, take myself for lunch at Olive Garden (40 min drive) and raid Target and Big Lots!!! and NO breakfasts tomorrow!!!.
cheers.gif

Enjoy those days while you can!!

Guests expect local info, etc, but some just like to talk. I enjoy talking to guests, but I also have a job to do. Some mornings, some guests, I will set a little timer in the kitchen and if the conversation at the table gets too involved it beeps and I'll say, "oh, I've got to get your breakfast on ... " Saves me and saves the food, too.

Back