Back to Daily Cleaning? Neatening? Yea or Nay?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
So... are you going back to a daily clean up? Just a quick make of the bed and clean the garbage? You are you keeping it like Covid, only before/after a stay?

I'm not sure what to do? I have to decide by the 1st of May. What do you think guests want?

So... are you going back to a daily clean up? Just a quick make of the bed and clean the garbage? You are you keeping it like Covid, only before/after a stay?

I'm not sure what to do? I have to decide by the 1st of May. What do you think guests want?

As we are back to charging our pre pandemic rates or even more, we have no excuse at our property to not service the rooms daily.
I've also read an article recently, which analyzed traveler feedback, stating that travelers are back to expecting daily service, as restrictions around the country have been lifted/are being lifted, and that the "excuse" of COVID no longer flies with many. While I'd personally like to save myself the work and expense of daily service, it is not worth the negative reviews that will come with it.

We offer either, if they don't respond to our text msg (most dont), we do it... at the higher prices we charge, we think it's a guest expectation.... only takes a few minutes anyway

We are in our high season. We have had two guest reviews this high season from travelers who got upset since we don't enter the room during their stay (one from a doctor). I am thinking of either having a door hang thing for cleaning, or just to do trash, toilet paper, coffee. I am interested in hearing more approaches.

Pre-pandemic service unless the guest prefers us not to service the room.

No, prior to COVID we usually asked if the guest preferred us to service the room or if they preferred to ask, most preferred to be left alone. After COVID started we flipped the question and said ask if you need extra towels, coffee, etc. during your stay. It really doesn't take that long to tidy up, but I'm not mom, if you need someone to hang up the clothes you left scattered on the floor, you need to invite mom on the vacation. Most of our visitors are happy guests and leave kind reviews.

We do offer fresh towels and trash pickup if requested before noon. If someone is here for more than four days, I offer full service with bed change. They always say no, thank you.

Yes! And we did it all last year. COVID is not transmitted by surfaces, so no reason not to. One of the biggest complaints on Trip Advisor in our area was about properties who did not do housekeeping. We have also raised our rates $60 a night. If folks are paying between $235 - $275 a night in our high season, they're getting full service.

When I had 4 or more nights, at the 3rd breakfast I would say, "I will be going into your room today to change the sheets". In 25 years, only 2 guests said OK. All the others told me not to bother as they only changed sheets once a week at home.

When Himself went to Conferences with me, the first thing I did was to untuck the sheets at the foot of the bed - his polio foot could not take the pressure. Each night, I would have to do it again. I got so used to the untucked sheets that I still do that. It was so nice to only have to do it once with my last Conference in January.

We do offer fresh towels and trash pickup if requested before noon. If someone is here for more than four days, I offer full service with bed change. They always say no, thank you.
We offer fresh towels, trash removal, and general tidy for a 3-4 day stay and most guests decline. Our 'welcome letter' explains we do not go in the room daily, yet feel free to request any of the above.
On a similar note...during pandemic we removed extraneous bed coverings, pillows, books and other décor. Have these items "returned"?

We never removed books, paper, decor. It was clear that the virus is airborne.

We never removed books, paper, decor. It was clear that the virus is airborne.
Guess that made your "return" a simple decision. :)
We chose to follow guidelines that initially included removing various items that either could not be cleaned daily, as "touch points" were of concern when there was still much unknown about the virus. Appreciate your reply.

I operated Business as Usual. My guests must have liked it because several returned during the year and most left tips (NOT the usual!)

I’ll go back to offering daily cleaning this season. But only with door tags so that people can opt out if they like.

On a similar note...during pandemic we removed extraneous bed coverings, pillows, books and other décor. Have these items "returned"?

I created a Facebook survey of sorts and asked my guests/followers if they preferred the bedspread or the triple sheet styles. 10 to 1 preferred the crisp style of triple sheets. I don't expect that to change back.

Back