Back to Daily Cleaning? Neatening? Yea or Nay?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Books are back in. Remotes are uncovered. But we found we liked the washable bed coverlets, so they stay. Quilts are gone forever.
We had very nice luxury bedding, but switched to Quilts because they were so much easier to wash!

Two weeks ago I stayed in a Hilton in Memphis, and the next day stayed at a Hilton in New Orleans. Both still offer no daily maid service unless guest requests it, and there are no welcome books, magazines, etc. in the rooms. I suspect the automatic daily maid service is never coming back at a lot of lodging accommodations. I imagine it's saving the big hotels a lot of money they used to spend on a huge housekeeping staff and laundry expenses.

Two weeks ago I stayed in a Hilton in Memphis, and the next day stayed at a Hilton in New Orleans. Both still offer no daily maid service unless guest requests it, and there are no welcome books, magazines, etc. in the rooms. I suspect the automatic daily maid service is never coming back at a lot of lodging accommodations. I imagine it's saving the big hotels a lot of money they used to spend on a huge housekeeping staff and laundry expenses.

I was at an Embassy Suites for a Conference in January - maid service only if the door hanger requested it and at the resort where another Conference rook place in February it was the same. And these were not low-end places. Even with the Conference rate, room & all the various taxes were more than I charge per night (however breakfast was provided as part of the Conference so that was paid with the registration fees). The Feb Conference, WV Clerks Assoc. was the host. When I found out sponsorships the usually helped were not there, Gillum House sent a sponsorship - I was not going to allow WV to look less than the best, We also held fundraisers the last time we were hosts and the "virtual" happenings of the last 2 years kept that from happening. (The City paid my registration & my room for both thank goodness.)

No matter what, I still have to do shared bathrooms daily. So far, we aren't taking single nights, even if it's a hole. I'm contemplating it, but it will be with a significant up charge, but really do I need to bother? The duvet covers are a little extra work, especially washing them.... fine... drying them. I've been putting double the number of towels in the rooms/bathrooms with no daily cleaning.

I also put summer rates up $10 a night, some $20 a night.

Both still offer no daily maid service unless guest requests it, I suspect the automatic daily maid service is never coming back at a lot of lodging accommodations. I imagine it's saving the big hotels a lot of money they used to spend on a huge housekeeping staff and laundry expenses.
Just me, but I didn't desire daily cleaning. To me it meant I had to put things away or my "junk" got moved around and wouldn't be found where I had left it sitting. So much of hotel daily cleaning seemed busy work, the perception that they were helping, but not really doing much as the room wasn't always really clean in the beginning.

I never DID do the daily bit. I asked my guests if they needed maid service and almost all said NO. My guests seemed to prefer that no one was going in their room.
Our experience the same for 13 years. We'll empty trash, collect wine glasses, but leave them alone. I'll tell them to toss towels out of door if they need new.
Our guests don't expect maid service. I am who they see: check-in, evening wine, breakfast. I'm an old guy; maid outfit don't fit no mo.

Our experience the same for 13 years. We'll empty trash, collect wine glasses, but leave them alone. I'll tell them to toss towels out of door if they need new.
Our guests don't expect maid service. I am who they see: check-in, evening wine, breakfast. I'm an old guy; maid outfit don't fit no mo.

I started to say I split the seams on mine - and I did a few years ago. Now, I lost so much weight, it just hangs on me (still not a pretty sight! shudder)

Back