Back Up Plans

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
What we do in an emergency. I am currently looking after my neighbour's B&B as her father in law who was living in India died and her and her husband have had to dash to India to sort out all the funeral arrangements and so on. On the night before she left at 8pm we discovered a leak while she was briefing me. Luckily my plumber came out (8pm on a Sat night bless) and thought we had it sorted. So I am minding the shop as best I can as she had a ton of people booked in and it is a really busy bridal fair so people could not be booked out at short notice. However it put me in mind of what we do in an emergency. Then on Sunday we discovered another leak plus the original one had come back so on the phone to the plumber as I couldn't just leave it and her brother couldn't get here till 5.30 so I asked if it was OK to sort it as my plumber has done work at her place and knows where everything is ie stop cocks! It seems to be all sorted and we are going to wait till she gets back to tell her as she can't do anything about it till she gets back so there is no point worrying her. Or should I ring? What do people think? It is a complete nightmare. While I was writing this I have just been called away to deal with yet another water problem with another room as water has just come flooding out of a toilet tank (think it may be due to the messing about with the water earlier in the day) OH dear.

She's in India arranging a funeral. Water leaks are irrelevant. They have to be fixed anyway. Get the work done at the best rate you can get and tell her when she gets back.
Unless you think she's the sort who will blame it all on you and say you should have called. Or she micromanages everything.
Me? I wouldn't want to deal with it. It's when you're gone that stuff goes wrong anyway. It always does.

I agree with Mort. Nothing she can do about it and she currently has enough on her plate to be dealing with. I hope she is as good a friend to you as you obviously are to her.

no i would not call her. IF she calls and wants info, you can tell her you had the plumber in and that all is well. that's why you are there ... to deal with whatever comes up. how wonderful that you can and are doing this!
ditto on the 'while you were away .. this this and THIS happened.' that seems to be the way of it sometimes.

Now I can give you Gomez's POV- hold nothing back, tell all. He doesn't believe in shielding anyone from anything. He would say, 'This is her business, she should know what is going on and she should approve all repairs.'

What we have done is just stop at the point where there is no water comming out of anywhere (so far today) but we have only spent about $10 as regards the toilet it is a mechanical fault (it is a pretty new toilet just put in in August) and part of the innards has failed. Am not getting involved in replacing that but I have made sure nothing is getting any worce. Out of the 3 leaks 2 are solved and one can wait till she gets back or her brother who lives about 45 mins away can deal with it. I feel doubly worce as I know she cares very deeply about her business and is very (not sure how to put it but Houseproud? maybe) as well a lot of the people in are regulars who she has known for years so she will be deeply upset and embarassed about it all. trouble is I know her and she will probably not charge them which will put her in a difficult position as I know they are tight for money which is partly why I offered to help out.

What we have done is just stop at the point where there is no water comming out of anywhere (so far today) but we have only spent about $10 as regards the toilet it is a mechanical fault (it is a pretty new toilet just put in in August) and part of the innards has failed. Am not getting involved in replacing that but I have made sure nothing is getting any worce. Out of the 3 leaks 2 are solved and one can wait till she gets back or her brother who lives about 45 mins away can deal with it. I feel doubly worce as I know she cares very deeply about her business and is very (not sure how to put it but Houseproud? maybe) as well a lot of the people in are regulars who she has known for years so she will be deeply upset and embarassed about it all. trouble is I know her and she will probably not charge them which will put her in a difficult position as I know they are tight for money which is partly why I offered to help out..
If she feels it necessary to give a refund, maybe you could talk her into giving them a deal on the NEXT visit, rather than taking the hit all at once right now.

What we have done is just stop at the point where there is no water comming out of anywhere (so far today) but we have only spent about $10 as regards the toilet it is a mechanical fault (it is a pretty new toilet just put in in August) and part of the innards has failed. Am not getting involved in replacing that but I have made sure nothing is getting any worce. Out of the 3 leaks 2 are solved and one can wait till she gets back or her brother who lives about 45 mins away can deal with it. I feel doubly worce as I know she cares very deeply about her business and is very (not sure how to put it but Houseproud? maybe) as well a lot of the people in are regulars who she has known for years so she will be deeply upset and embarassed about it all. trouble is I know her and she will probably not charge them which will put her in a difficult position as I know they are tight for money which is partly why I offered to help out..
If she feels it necessary to give a refund, maybe you could talk her into giving them a deal on the NEXT visit, rather than taking the hit all at once right now.
She hasn't charged them in advance is going to charge them on Sat when she comes back but is going to call them first. (this was the plan before she went away) I am going to sit down and brief her on everything so she knows what is comming. They come for this fair twice a year so that may be a good plan I'll suggest it. They all seem really nice people but are used to her always being there or rather being accessable so think they are a little twitchy being on their own.

Back