Background check

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inn my dreams

Reaction score
I want to do a background check :-D
Not on guests, but on YOU --- Owners and Innkeepers of B&B's. But don't be alarmed; I'm not going to hire any private i's or go to any trouble and I suppose you can tell tales if you like (of course, I'd prefer the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth).... I would like to know..............
What did you do before your B&B?
And just so I don't get a bunch of one-liner answers.....
Are you an owner or innkeeper (or both)?
How long have you had your B&B?
How did your past life/job/career help and/or prepare you for the B&B?
What led you to choose to buy/operate a B&B?
If you could go back to that "jumping off point", would you do it again?
Oh, and just for fun, how many would like to do background checks on their guests? lol (since you may have thought that's what this thread was about)
Feel free to elaborate as much as you want. Basically, I want to hear your story ---in your words. I'm looking forward to all the replies!
Thanks!
N

Owner and B&B keeper
8 years
I worked in IT for 20+ years, couldn't stand another day sitting in an office watching the summers go by outside the window. Remeber the original "Time Machine" film where as he travels forward in time the seasons fly by and he sees the fashions changing on the manequin in the shop window. That's how I felt my life was flying by marked by the seasons outside the office window.
I really thought I'd left IT behind but my computer skills have been key to the success of our business, as we get very little trade off the street and most comes through our website.
Why a B&B, I think becuase we'd stayed in many places over the years and more often than not thought we could do better.
Would we do it again, most definately.

Owner and B&B keeper
8 years
I worked in IT for 20+ years, couldn't stand another day sitting in an office watching the summers go by outside the window. Remeber the original "Time Machine" film where as he travels forward in time the seasons fly by and he sees the fashions changing on the manequin in the shop window. That's how I felt my life was flying by marked by the seasons outside the office window.
I really thought I'd left IT behind but my computer skills have been key to the success of our business, as we get very little trade off the street and most comes through our website.
Why a B&B, I think becuase we'd stayed in many places over the years and more often than not thought we could do better.
Would we do it again, most definately..
Highlands John said:
Owner and B&B keeper
8 years
Would we do it again, most definately.
Aahhh... I can relate! I've been behind a desk for the past 28 years in the accounting field. I love staying at B&B's (though recent travel we're turned more to vacation houses/condos because our son travels with us). Future travel is more likely to include stays at B&B's when it's just DH and I.
Thanks for sharing!

What did you do before your B&B? Full-time data processing (37.5 per week) Part-time hotel relief night auditor (24+)(yes - at the same time)
Are you an owner or innkeeper (or both)? Both
How long have you had your B&B? starting 16th year
How did your past life/job/career help and/or prepare you for the B&B? know enough about computers to be dangerous so am careful of what I do and the hotel background taught me reports, check-in/check-out, reservations, and dealing with both nice people and jerks
What led you to choose to buy/operate a B&B? We stayed in one and I decided I could do that
If you could go back to that "jumping off point", would you do it again? In a heartbeat
Oh, and just for fun, how many would like to do background checks on their guests? lol (since you may have thought that's what this thread was about) Not interested - I prefer to hear their stories live and in person

What did you do before your B&B? Full-time data processing (37.5 per week) Part-time hotel relief night auditor (24+)(yes - at the same time)
How did your past life/job/career help and/or prepare you for the B&B? know enough about computers to be dangerous so am careful of what I do and the hotel background taught me reports, check-in/check-out, reservations, and dealing with both nice people and jerks
What led you to choose to buy/operate a B&B? We stayed in one and I decided I could do that
If you could go back to that "jumping off point", would you do it again? In a heartbeat
Oh, and just for fun, how many would like to do background checks on their guests? lol (since you may have thought that's what this thread was about) Not interested - I prefer to hear their stories live and in person.
gillumhouse said:
Oh, and just for fun, how many would like to do background checks on their guests? lol (since you may have thought that's what this thread was about) Not interested - I prefer to hear their stories live and in person
Thanks! I like your answer about background checks on guests (which I only added for chuckles) :)

Inn my dreams said:
I want to do a background check :-D
Not on guests, but on YOU --- Owners and Innkeepers of B&B's. But don't be alarmed; I'm not going to hire any private i's or go to any trouble and I suppose you can tell tales if you like (of course, I'd prefer the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth).... I would like to know..............
Feel free to elaborate as much as you want. Basically, I want to hear your story ---in your words. I'm looking forward to all the replies!
Thanks!
N
What did you do before your B&B? Both of us were engineering geeks
Are you an owner or innkeeper (or both)? Yes
How long have you had your B&B? 8 years
How did your past life/job/career help and/or prepare you for the B&B? Not at all.
What led you to choose to buy/operate a B&B? Both of our jobs went offshore and we were fed up dancing to someone else's tune
If you could go back to that "jumping off point", would you do it again? What the heck, why not.
Oh, and just for fun, how many would like to do background checks on their guests? lol (since you may have thought that's what this thread was about) Do not want to know anything about my guests before they arrive other than name, rank & serial number (and dietary restrictions). The rest of it either comes out or it doesn't while they're here.

Chemical enigineer, global sales and marketing
Owner and innkeeper , since 2 years, today exactly - anniversary!!
Lots of hotel experience...
Stop traveling, stay at home and do somethning together...............
Yes would do it again, but wish we started a B&B earlier
Background checks on guests? No, like to be pleasantly surprised!
Feel free to elaborate as much as you want. Basically, I want to hear your story ---in your words. ------- OK, come and stay if you really want to hear!

Feel free to elaborate as much as you want. Basically, I want to hear your story ---in your words. ------- OK, come and stay if you really want to hear!.
Bommelhoeve said:
Feel free to elaborate as much as you want. Basically, I want to hear your story ---in your words. ------- OK, come and stay if you really want to hear!
Thanks for the invitation. We'd love to! (now where did I hide my passport!)

Feel free to elaborate as much as you want. Basically, I want to hear your story ---in your words. ------- OK, come and stay if you really want to hear!.
Happy innkeeping anniversary!! May you be as busy as you want to be for many more years!

Had a profession in the arts and DH was import broker
12 years owning/working b&b
Previous career was not relevant to current one, except to say I was comfortable with the public.
I knew I had the skill sets to do it. Also took an intensive aspiring innkeeper seminar.
Do it again? You betcha
Sometimes after they leave I will do an online search if I think there's something 'odd'. I don't want to know before hand.

We're in our fifth year. Still like it.
I knew I wanted to do B&B years ago after staying in them in Britain. Early days of restaurant work (service mentality and timing) while a student (and some beyond) were great prep. Doing the books for a self employed spouse added another skill. A few seasons of watching This Old House, as well as growing up in an extended house remodel project didn't hurt either.
T a k i n g o u r t i m e finding the right property to convert, and keeping debt to a minimum in the process (now paid off) was very important. Read every B&B type book that was published at the time. If I had attended an aspiring course, I might have been scared off put the whole thing off even longer.
But most important, finding this (and its previous incarnation) forum after buying the property but before doing the conversion was a godsend. We avoided tons of heartache and mistakes by reading others contributions. Thank you one and all.
(Employed for many years in the broadcast industry, still working part time)

cheers.gif

Had a profession in the arts and DH was import broker
12 years owning/working b&b
Previous career was not relevant to current one, except to say I was comfortable with the public.
I knew I had the skill sets to do it. Also took an intensive aspiring innkeeper seminar.
Do it again? You betcha
Sometimes after they leave I will do an online search if I think there's something 'odd'. I don't want to know before hand..
Breakfast Diva said:
Sometimes after they leave I will do an online search if I think there's something 'odd'. I don't want to know before hand.
Not sure I'd want to know then either! ROFL

Are you an owner or innkeeper (or both)? BOTH, but now retired.
How long have you had your B&B? We ran ours for 6 years. Been here for 12 years now and still love the location and our house.
How did your past life/job/career help and/or prepare you for the B&B? I am a home economist by profession, taught web design at major university prior to retirement.
What led you to choose to buy/operate a B&B? I helped teach numerous workshops on running a B&B through the Extension service and with my background, it is just something I always wanted to do. We traveled alot and stayed in many and we knew we could do it our way.

Back