Bacon--Fry, Bake, Microwave or Grill?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white pine

Reaction score
I use the skillet, and hate the clean-up. I have read that the oven is best for large quantities, but what is your favorite method? What is your favorite bacon recipe? "My belly is just-a-aching for a little piece of bacon"....

We use the oven only for bacon in casseroles, or something where it will be broken up. For frying perfect pieces, nothing beats a cast iron skillet. Get a bottle of Greased Lightning and clean up the stove top with a paper towel immediately afterward. We use the grease to make bird suet. YUM!!!!

Geo Foreman grill is what i use and knock out the fat, it is not airborne like in a skillet and stinking out the whole house for days each time, and you end up with an entire tray of grease, ugh. However, any method you have will give you a ton of grease, and for that reason I only cook bacon for smaller table settings. I actually do not cook it often. But it goes really well with a couple of dishes I make, or for favorite guests. :)
I tried oven and that was the worst, imo, for clean up.

I use one sheet pan and a cooling rack for oven baking my bacon. I can usually bake about 12 slices at a time that way and the grease is drained below the racks so they aren't sitting in grease. Takes about 30 mins at 350 degrees

We use the oven only for bacon in casseroles, or something where it will be broken up. For frying perfect pieces, nothing beats a cast iron skillet. Get a bottle of Greased Lightning and clean up the stove top with a paper towel immediately afterward. We use the grease to make bird suet. YUM!!!!.
Don Draper said:
We use the oven only for bacon in casseroles, or something where it will be broken up. For frying perfect pieces, nothing beats a cast iron skillet. Get a bottle of Greased Lightning and clean up the stove top with a paper towel immediately afterward. We use the grease to make bird suet. YUM!!!!
Would you share the recipe? I hate to see anything go to waste and wold like to use our bacon grease for something!
RIki

We use the oven only for bacon in casseroles, or something where it will be broken up. For frying perfect pieces, nothing beats a cast iron skillet. Get a bottle of Greased Lightning and clean up the stove top with a paper towel immediately afterward. We use the grease to make bird suet. YUM!!!!.
Don Draper said:
Would you share the recipe? I hate to see anything go to waste and wold like to use our bacon grease for something!
RIki
We use equal parts bacon grease and peanut butter flour and mix in any bits of fruit and nuts we have on hand. You can also use rolled oats in place of the peanut butter flour but I don't like the consistency it gives the suet, it seems to melt quickly. Buy some of the pre-made cakes of suet at the store and save the plastic trays, this is what we freeze the mixture in. Unused cakes keep in the freezer for 3 months or so.

If you're cooking for a crowd nothing beats bacon with a little brown sugar cooked upin the oven.
For just myself? Microwave.

Don Draper said:
RIki
We use equal parts bacon grease and peanut butter flour and mix in any bits of fruit and nuts we have on hand. You can also use rolled oats in place of the peanut butter flour but I don't like the consistency it gives the suet, it seems to melt quickly. Buy some of the pre-made cakes of suet at the store and save the plastic trays, this is what we freeze the mixture in. Unused cakes keep in the freezer for 3 months or so.
Don Draper said:
Thanks!!!

If you're cooking for a crowd nothing beats bacon with a little brown sugar cooked upin the oven.
For just myself? Microwave..
Alibi Ike said:
We just had some at another B&B that was done in the oven - brushed with maple syrup and dusted with chopped pecans. It was very good.

I have never done it in the oven, does it make a mess of the oven? I've read bacon on a rack over a foil lined sheet is a no mess solution--is it?

For just myself? Microwave..
Alibi Ike said:
We just had some at another B&B that was done in the oven - brushed with maple syrup and dusted with chopped pecans. It was very good.
Maple syrup would be good, oh yes it would.

I found the oven pan clean up worse for me - racks to scrub and all, but it was tasty with brown sugar and all of that. I just used two large pans on the stove with splatter screens. :)

We do bacon every day and do it in the microwave but if i am doing it for myself I do tend to fry it as it tasts best.

Microwave .....when and if ......I ever served bacon. I hate the smell and very rarely made it for guests. No food value as far as I am concerned and it stunk up the house and took forever to get rid of the oder.

Microwave .....when and if ......I ever served bacon. I hate the smell and very rarely made it for guests. No food value as far as I am concerned and it stunk up the house and took forever to get rid of the oder..
catlady said:
Microwave .....when and if ......I ever served bacon. I hate the smell and very rarely made it for guests. No food value as far as I am concerned and it stunk up the house and took forever to get rid of the oder.
There is nothing that gets guests out of bed and into the dining room faster than the smell of bacon (food-wise). But it does linger and it does not smell as good later on.

I linw a jelly roll sheet with foil and bake the bacon on that. Sorry to those who do not like the aroma of bacon - I love it and love bacon - crisp! It really does not stink up the house all day like it does if I fry it in a skillet on the stove. DH loves the clean-up. I put the bacon on paper towels to absorb grease, just like you do when frying, and the foil just gets carefully rolled up and into the garbage. The pan itself has no muss, no fuss.
I have finally given in - I do serve bacon or sausage with the egg bake now. When doing the sausage links, I wrap them in the foil and bake for about 15 - 20 minutes, flip the package over and do that side the same amount of time. The mess is in the foil.

Thanks everyone!
It looks like we will be snowed in tomorrow. I may try doing the oven prep as I will have time to clean. I want to try that recipe for oreos, and plan to do some loaves of glazed lemon bread. Day in the kitchen! Did my great-great-aunt Hannah's gingerbread tonight--yum!

I linw a jelly roll sheet with foil and bake the bacon on that. Sorry to those who do not like the aroma of bacon - I love it and love bacon - crisp! It really does not stink up the house all day like it does if I fry it in a skillet on the stove. DH loves the clean-up. I put the bacon on paper towels to absorb grease, just like you do when frying, and the foil just gets carefully rolled up and into the garbage. The pan itself has no muss, no fuss.
I have finally given in - I do serve bacon or sausage with the egg bake now. When doing the sausage links, I wrap them in the foil and bake for about 15 - 20 minutes, flip the package over and do that side the same amount of time. The mess is in the foil..
gillumhouse said:
I have finally given in - I do serve bacon or sausage with the egg bake now. When doing the sausage links, I wrap them in the foil and bake for about 15 - 20 minutes, flip the package over and do that side the same amount of time. The mess is in the foil.
cheers.gif

We serve thick-sliced peppered bacon. DW does it in the oven and it turns out perfectly everytime.

Back