Bad Guest experience that you learned from?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
I would like to start this thread with a disclaimer. Innkeepers WILL not share horror stories on this forum if people ridicule them. So please try to keep comments in order. Thanks.
confused_smile.gif

We would like to know some of the guest experiences that caused you to rethink how you do things, the boundaries at the Inn, and policies that were implemented from that guest experience? Please leave out personal details, but relay what the situation was and how you handled it or didn't handle it, and how that has changed your day-to-day operations?

When we first opened the B & B 7 years ago, I was so "gung ho"...arent' we all???? I spread our brochure everywhere I could thinking of ways I could get guests. Then one day when we had "walk in" guests who smoked in the bedroom in spite of very tasteful signs not to do so, I changed my tune. I did not want people just knocking on my door and making me change my plans.
It seemed that the problem situations always came from "drop ins" from small issues to larger ones such as smoking. So we made the decision the we would only take guests by ADVANCE reservations. If someone calls at the last minute, or knocks on our front door looking for a room, we DO NOT take them.
This is my house and I have other things I want and need to do rather than wait for people to show up at my door. So the advance reservation worked very well for us. I could plan my days and work my plans. Fortunately, we were in a position to do this having a small lifestyle B & B and did not need the income from it to live. This is the way we chose to do our thing and I know it does not work that way for those of you who really are doing this to make a living.
Looking back now that we have retired, we did it OUR way and everyone else has to do it THEIR way and be happy.

Walk-throughs - We had two occasions when people were visiting friends in town and wanted to see the rooms. We showed them and they said they would think about it. Never saw them again. THEN it occurred to me - both times there was a BIG game on TV. I had a TV as an extra I could put in the room for $5 (this was many, many years ago folks) but did not have an opportunity to tell them about it. The next day the TV went in the room!
Then there was the "pie-plate" Harley guy..... I got my revenge by turning him over to DH at breakfast..... Booked my best room for 3 nights for a festival in a nearby town a couple months in advance, then showed up to say we were too far away. My new policy is if it is a "pie-plate" Harley guy and he wants out of the reservation - GO!! much prefer tp lose money than to have the wet towel on the bed and every towel available in the room used by just 2 people! Lost more than I gained by telling him I was going to charge for that night (so they stayed) in the laundry I had to do.

Had 2 couples here for a wedding. It was obvious from the conversation that the one couple wasn't really a couple and the girl was not happy with the sleeping arrangements. I should have done something at that point, but I didn't as they lived nearby and could just go home if it became an issue.
Long story short, the girl opted to sleep in a room she didn't pay for. Now we have to lock all the doors when the guests are all checked in.
Similar story (we need to be whacked over the head a few times to really get a point)- family reunion booked the whole house (not on our watch, we inherited them). No real info, took forever to get it all sorted out. Again, long story short- by the time they checked in they had cancelled 5 of the rooms they had booked, the last one being cancelled as they walked in.
I explained they would have to pay for the room they cancelled on the spot and she grumbled about it. Well, she took care of it by sleeping in the room she cancelled even tho she begged me to get someone into the room that night. I almost wish I had had a late walk-in.
So, same thing...have to lock the doors to the unoccupied rooms.

Early on (I wasn't open, just taking reservations) I took a reservation for two ladies coming for a family reunion sort of thing. Then another lady called and also booked to stay here... she was cousin to one of the first two.
All was fine until yet another cousin called, who lives here in town. Apparently the first two are one side of the family and she was the other... it wasn't that they didn't get along, exactly, just somehow there were two sets. The second reservation normally stayed with the lady in town but wanted to spend some time with the first two ladies for a change, plus was looking forward to the comfort of staying in a B&B (instead of on a waterbed).
I made the mistake of telling the in town cousin that I would be willing to bend on my cancellation policy and cancel the second reservation, even though it was less than 7 days away. (Their arrival was my first day officially open...) She then called her cousin, who called me, and had to cancel, not because she wanted to but because of family politics. She did come and visit, and tour the rooms, and saw the other two ladies, but lesson learned: I only cancel a reservation with the one who made the reservation, and shouldn't even talk about it with others.
Well, just today I have another situation. A lady is coming to see her aunt. First the aunt called. Then the neice called and booked, a paid a one night deposit. Then the aunt came and toured and paid the balance, and was unhappy because she didn't want the neice to pay any. So today she (the aunt) calls and says she's figured out how to rearrange her furniture and her neice can stay with her. I told her if her neice cancels I'll return her check (haven't gotten it to the bank yet anyway), but that her neice would have to call and cancel.
We'll see what happens.
=) Kk.

*There is no smoking allowed anywhere on our property and out of courtesy to our neighbors,
we ask that you do not smoke in front of the inn or neighboring properties.
This one came about after a wedding in which about 30 drunk guests went out to the street to smoke and drink and the smoke wafted into our neighbors swamp cooler, she was not happy!
*In order to hold your room, all reservations require a deposit equal to one night's room and tax or 50% of stay (whichever is more). Cancellations with less than 3 weeks notice are non-refundable unless we can re-book the room(s).

Changed this from a simple authorization only, due to losing too much $$ over large group and multiple night stay cancellations.
Regarding cancellations: I had a guest from Europe tell us that if he booked a room and had to cancel, he would not expect a refund, no matter how far in advance he booked (apparently it is not customary where he is from) and he also gave us his opinion that we should not refund moneys, because we "have already sold the room and who else in the business world has to work twice for the same dollar?" He's one of our favorite guests, obviously!!
Guests not included in original reservation require a minimum 48 hr notice.
Additional guests without reservations are subject to $50 fee and must be present at check-in.

This one is due to a girl bringing her boyfriend along on a family trip, did not notify us about the add on and we did not find out about him until I saw a man in the hall late at night-when I knew I had a full house of women only, scared the beejezuz out of me!
No pets, certified guide dogs excluded. We do not accommodate guests who plan to leave their pets in the car during their stay.
This came about from a guest who showed up with a reservation, knew we did not allow dogs and brought the dog anyway and planned on leaving the dog in the car. It was going to be 15 degrees that night and we told him sorry, you need to find another place. The guy instantly turned into another person, cursing my husband with everyname in the book! That's when the "right to refuse service" took place.
I could do a novel on changes we've made for weddings here at the inn...You wouldn't even believe the stories ...But alas, I cannot divulge...

*There is no smoking allowed anywhere on our property and out of courtesy to our neighbors,
This one came about after a wedding in which about 30 drunk guests went out to the street to smoke and drink and the smoke wafted into our neighbors swamp cooler, she was not happy!
*In order to hold your room, all reservations require a deposit equal to one night's room and tax or 50% of stay (whichever is more). Cancellations with less than 3 weeks notice are non-refundable unless we can re-book the room(s).

Changed this from a simple authorization only, due to losing too much $$ over large group and multiple night stay cancellations.
Regarding cancellations: I had a guest from Europe tell us that if he booked a room and had to cancel, he would not expect a refund, no matter how far in advance he booked (apparently it is not customary where he is from) and he also gave us his opinion that we should not refund moneys, because we "have already sold the room and who else in the business world has to work twice for the same dollar?" He's one of our favorite guests, obviously!!
Additional guests without reservations are subject to $50 fee and must be present at check-in.

This one is due to a girl bringing her boyfriend along on a family trip, did not notify us about the add on and we did not find out about him until I saw a man in the hall late at night-when I knew I had a full house of women only, scared the beejezuz out of me!
No pets, certified guide dogs excluded. We do not accommodate guests who plan to leave their pets in the car during their stay.
This came about from a guest who showed up with a reservation, knew we did not allow dogs and brought the dog anyway and planned on leaving the dog in the car. It was going to be 15 degrees that night and we told him sorry, you need to find another place. The guy instantly turned into another person, cursing my husband with everyname in the book! That's when the "right to refuse service" took place.
I could do a novel on changes we've made for weddings here at the inn...You wouldn't even believe the stories ...But alas, I cannot divulge....
No Pets, certified guide dogs excluded...

Just for the benefit of others, there is not really such a thing as a certified guide dog. ADA says we are not allowed to ask for a certification (or other proof) of any service animals. http://www.ada.gov/animal.htm

The reason all my rooms are locked upstairs.
There is a nice couple here right now, on their own. Just because they are nice doesn't mean they are not risque or think they can get away with something when noone is watching.
Same happened before and I THOUGHT they were just peeking in all the rooms for "next time" turned out they had used each of other guest rooms beds (tops only fortunately).
It caught me unawares, as I walked in pre check in and said, Huh? What happened to that bed, why is the quilt all wrinkled and moved around...then the next room...and the next until I dawned on me why!

Weddings - wedding party (ie bride and bridesmaids getting ready) OI VEIGH!! THE WORST!!
Whole House Bookings.
Locals.
All of the above cause major stress and never work out as planned. Have to stick to my guns on all of them.

I could do a novel on changes we've made for weddings here at the inn...You wouldn't even believe the stories ...But alas, I cannot divulge....

Just for the benefit of others, there is not really such a thing as a certified guide dog. ADA says we are not allowed to ask for a certification (or other proof) of any service animals. http://www.ada.gov/animal.htm
So does this mean if you book a $99 room for a person with a service animal and you advertise as an inn for people with "sensitivities" aka "allergies", and you have to have your inn professionally cleaned for $500 becuase the dog stayed in one of your rooms, a cost you would not have incurred if that service animal had not stayed with you, you are stuck with a $400 bill and a free nights stay for that guest?
Doesn't seem fair.

So does this mean if you book a $99 room for a person with a service animal and you advertise as an inn for people with "sensitivities" aka "allergies", and you have to have your inn professionally cleaned for $500 becuase the dog stayed in one of your rooms, a cost you would not have incurred if that service animal had not stayed with you, you are stuck with a $400 bill and a free nights stay for that guest?
Doesn't seem fair.
Willowpondgj said:
Doesn't seem fair.
The short answer is yes.
However, if a dog is staying one or two nights there is no need to go overboard on the cleaning. A good vacuuming should do it. Service animals are generally much better behaved than pets. They pee on command (outside) and don't bark or cause a commotion unless their person is in danger or needs help. Generally. You may evict the exceptions...the dogs that do damage, bark at other guests (without provocation), bite or menace other guests. And, yes, contrary to health dept regs, the dog is allowed in the dining room.
This comes up so infrequently it's probably not an issue for most small B&B's.
I have been asked 3 times for a room when a person had a service animal. The first one didn't book, the second one booked and then cancelled and the third one needed a fenced yard for her dog because he liked to run away. I found her other accommodations. A service animal that runs away is a pet and my dog room was booked.
However, the state rep told me (because I called) that if a guest asks for special accommodations for the SERVICE ANIMAL, I do not have to accept that guest. So, the lady who needed a fenced yard? I didn't have to take her. i did not have to provide special accommodations for the dog.

Doesn't seem fair.
Willowpondgj said:
Doesn't seem fair.
The short answer is yes.
However, if a dog is staying one or two nights there is no need to go overboard on the cleaning. A good vacuuming should do it. Service animals are generally much better behaved than pets. They pee on command (outside) and don't bark or cause a commotion unless their person is in danger or needs help. Generally. You may evict the exceptions...the dogs that do damage, bark at other guests (without provocation), bite or menace other guests. And, yes, contrary to health dept regs, the dog is allowed in the dining room.
I have been asked 3 times for a room when a person had a service animal. The first one didn't book, the second one booked and then cancelled and the third one needed a fenced yard for her dog because he liked to run away. I found her other accommodations. A service animal that runs away is a pet and my dog room was booked.
However, the state rep told me (because I called) that if a guest asks for special accommodations for the SERVICE ANIMAL, I do not have to accept that guest. So, the lady who needed a fenced yard? I didn't have to take her. i did not have to provide special accommodations for the dog.
I had a local come and tour. If the out of town visitor comes, then they'd like to all come over and visit their visitor. One of them would bring a service animal. "It's the law, you know..." Now, this is not the potential guest, this is a potential guest of a potential guest. I told her they can visit in the screened in patio (which has a marble floor). Inwardly I was groaning and thinking, "oh no!!!!" Not because of the dog (I can cope with service animals) but because of the attitude about the law...
=) Kk.

I know what you are saying but I would check the law. You may be exempt due to the size of the property. Yes, attitude knows no boundaries.
You might also want to mention the uncontrollable dsx4. :)

I know what you are saying but I would check the law. You may be exempt due to the size of the property. Yes, attitude knows no boundaries.
You might also want to mention the uncontrollable dsx4. :).
Yes, my sweet, angelic, perfectly behaved little gentlemen who turn into slobbering, screaming, temper-tantrum throwing monsters at the sight of any animal, especially large service dog-sized animals!
=) Kk.

Doesn't seem fair.
Willowpondgj said:
Doesn't seem fair.
The short answer is yes.
What if the other guests, innkeeper or their family member is allergic to dogs, or has asthma related issues due to pet dander? What if it's a legitimate health risk to the other guest or proprietor?

Doesn't seem fair.
Willowpondgj said:
Doesn't seem fair.
The short answer is yes.
I had a local come and tour. If the out of town visitor comes, then they'd like to all come over and visit their visitor. One of them would bring a service animal. "It's the law, you know..." Now, this is not the potential guest, this is a potential guest of a potential guest. I told her they can visit in the screened in patio (which has a marble floor). Inwardly I was groaning and thinking, "oh no!!!!" Not because of the dog (I can cope with service animals) but because of the attitude about the law...
=) Kk.
That one would go under the "only registered overnight paying guests allowed on property" rule.

You might also want to mention the uncontrollable dsx4. :).
Yes, my sweet, angelic, perfectly behaved little gentlemen who turn into slobbering, screaming, temper-tantrum throwing monsters at the sight of any animal, especially large service dog-sized animals!
=) Kk.
Greetings Everyone from PEI!
Wow! Something to look forward to. Most of our guests have been from half way around the globe, so they haven't travelled with any pets. So far I guess we have just been lucky. Thanks for the info as usual!
SherryCa
PS: Love the new site!

Doesn't seem fair.
Willowpondgj said:
Doesn't seem fair.
The short answer is yes.
What if the other guests, innkeeper or their family member is allergic to dogs, or has asthma related issues due to pet dander? What if it's a legitimate health risk to the other guest or proprietor?
I believe if you read the regs nothing supercedes the service animal owner's right to accommodation and access other than the service animal being a hazard or the owner wanting you to accommodate the animal's needs (like the fenced yard or special food or something like that).
Of course, if there is a conflict with the health of my family and accommodating the service animal I am going to explain that to the guest and recommend other lodging to them. Being open with the guest generally leads to fewer issues than outright refusal. Explaining that the child cannot be exposed to animals in its own home rather than, 'No, we dont take pets,' goes a long way.
And, yes, you'll probably have the guest who refuses to accept that and go elsewhere. At this point, I have to say you'll need to contact a lawyer. The worst in all of this is people are now lying and saying their totally untrained pet is a service animal knowing you cannot ask for proof of training.
I do not have handicap accessibility. I know that will bite me someday. But, I refer guests to the inns I know do have it. And that goes a long way (so far) to ameliorate the situation.
Check the link Swirt posted for more details and the real scoop on what the law states.

Doesn't seem fair.
Willowpondgj said:
Doesn't seem fair.
The short answer is yes.
I'm no expert but I am almost certain those excuses don't hold up in court.
ada site said:
Q: Can I exclude an animal that doesn't really seem dangerous but is disruptive to my business?
A: There may be a few circumstances when a public accommodation is not required to accommodate a service animal--that is, when doing so would result in a fundamental alteration to the nature of the business. Generally, this is not likely to occur in restaurants, hotels, retail stores, theaters, concert halls, and sports facilities. But when it does, for example, when a dog barks during a movie, the animal can be excluded.

Doesn't seem fair.
Willowpondgj said:
Doesn't seem fair.
The short answer is yes.
=) Kk.
That one would go under the "only registered overnight paying guests allowed on property" rule.
Willowpondgj said:
I have to agree with that one if only because of the attitude. But she'd better have it written down in her policies...
It is perfectly acceptable for YS to say that she cannot have all these extra people running around when she has other guests in the house or even because she has young kids at home. Lots of innkeepers here have had to ask guests of guests to vacate the premises.

Back