Bad guests database

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
On another forum I saw information about THIS UK database of bad hotel and B&B guests.

We've been mulling that kind of thing over for awhile...especially when a scam artist goes thru.
The odd thing is, there are folks who are absolutely awful at one B&B and fine at the next. So, I guess it would have to be a definite criteria:
  • Left without paying/bad credit card or check
  • Severe damage
  • Blatant theft (and this is a tough one to prove unless you see them walking off with something or they're the only guests in the house)
Obnoxious behavior can be in the eye of the beholder. You've read enough here to know I could populate this db by myself, but most guests who are obnoxious are mostly clueless and not malicious. And the only people I would put in there are the ones who smoked in their room KNOWING guests in another room were impacted. Oh, and the no shows whose cc was declined.

Yes, such a database would need some guidelines and a gatekeeper to make sure people weren't blacklisted inappropriately. It would probably need to be administered by a recognized agency like PAII or a hotel industry group.
And ideally it would be the online booking company that did the check at the time guests enter their CC number. So might be a database of the credit cards rather than the names.
Sounds like a real headache to sort out, but in an ideal world it would be nice to have.

Yes, such a database would need some guidelines and a gatekeeper to make sure people weren't blacklisted inappropriately. It would probably need to be administered by a recognized agency like PAII or a hotel industry group.
And ideally it would be the online booking company that did the check at the time guests enter their CC number. So might be a database of the credit cards rather than the names.
Sounds like a real headache to sort out, but in an ideal world it would be nice to have..
It should be just like TA...you write in the guest is a bad 'un and in the db they go. Let the GUEST have to sort it out. You shouldn't even have to prove they stayed. Maybe they just emailed or phoned a dozen times and wasted your day. Good enough for me.

Sounds like a real headache to sort out, but in an ideal world it would be nice to have..
It should be just like TA...you write in the guest is a bad 'un and in the db they go. Let the GUEST have to sort it out. You shouldn't even have to prove they stayed. Maybe they just emailed or phoned a dozen times and wasted your day. Good enough for me.
Totally agree. I've long thought we should have TA for accommodation providers, on the same basis.
There's already a forum running in Scotland called the Accommodation Providers Alert Scheme on which people post problem guest warnings, runners, no shows, etc. There's also a section for posting complaints about certain guests. There are also chat areas similar to this site, although sadly it's very quiet.

Arkansawyer said:
Nope - can't use CC info - it can not be retained... this would do us no good anyway as they could just use another card.

I think big companies must have a CC database because when I use my card at Walmart or Sonic or other such places, it's approved in less than 2 seconds. No way is it actually checking with my CC company. I think they must have a local database.
And of course if a name gets put on the list, they could just use the wife's name, or their middle name or something. Very hard to get ahead here. Businesses can't change their name without hurting business. Individuals, on the other hand, can find all kinds of workarounds.

I think big companies must have a CC database because when I use my card at Walmart or Sonic or other such places, it's approved in less than 2 seconds. No way is it actually checking with my CC company. I think they must have a local database.
And of course if a name gets put on the list, they could just use the wife's name, or their middle name or something. Very hard to get ahead here. Businesses can't change their name without hurting business. Individuals, on the other hand, can find all kinds of workarounds..
Arks, credit card authorizations can occur just that quickly. My dh works for one of the companies that processes cc transactions....worldwide. They use the same large computer systems that are used on Wall Street. They are always trying to increase the speed of the auths too.

Back