Bad guests good guests - same room

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joey Bloggs said:
We have to remember the good guests, when people take photos and love every minute - the same exact room.
We had people in last week who photographed everything. We have a wooden box of various types of tea bags on the side, nothing fancy just the one we bought from the tea bag suppliers, as I walked past the breakfast room they were photographing it. I went back to the kitchen and told DH, he said they photographed the breakfast tables, menus, all sorts of things. Strange!
I wondered if they were either serial ta reviewers or travel journalists, but I've heard nothing more..
Our first guests were a couple. The lady took pictures of e v e r y t h i n g. Turned out she is a blogger who likes to write of her travels. This was the result.
(Beware - there be doilies)
Washington is already on my list - one of the 10 States I have missed. Now I know WHERE in Washington I want to go!
It would be a delight to welcome you! (it might also be good if we could get you to make a presentation on hospitality/rural tourism/promotion to our Chamber and County Commission. Too much effort into the holy grail of the employer who will ride into town bringing family wage employment to replace the logging and fishing jobs largely lost decades ago, and not enough recognition of the micro businesses that are working with the existing natural assets in a successful way NOW. Hmmm was that a tad harsh?
Skamokawa said:
...it might also be good if we could get you to make a presentation on hospitality/rural tourism/promotion to our Chamber and County Commission. Too much effort into the holy grail of the employer who will ride into town bringing family wage employment to replace...
Same here!! Tourism is the 2nd largest industry in Arkansas, after farming, but our local government and Chamber of Commerce are only interested in trying to lure the factory jobs back, and everybody else here knows those are gone forever. They spend $30,000 here, $60,000 there to entice operations to come here and employ FIVE people, but will not spend ONE PENNY on advertising and promotion of our assets for tourism. DO NOT GET ME STARTED!
The general area that I live in gets 7 million visitors each year. Tourism is IT. My area is bigger than Cedar Point, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Football Hall of Fame- probably combined.

And our Dept of Tourism could use a LITTLE BIG bit of help getting a better/bigger word out.
I LOVE Michigan's tourism department. Their latest is Pure Michigan. It is a fantastic concept from start to finish. I love creative marketing programs.

Joey Bloggs said:
We have to remember the good guests, when people take photos and love every minute - the same exact room.
We had people in last week who photographed everything. We have a wooden box of various types of tea bags on the side, nothing fancy just the one we bought from the tea bag suppliers, as I walked past the breakfast room they were photographing it. I went back to the kitchen and told DH, he said they photographed the breakfast tables, menus, all sorts of things. Strange!
I wondered if they were either serial ta reviewers or travel journalists, but I've heard nothing more..
Our first guests were a couple. The lady took pictures of e v e r y t h i n g. Turned out she is a blogger who likes to write of her travels. This was the result.
Washington is already on my list - one of the 10 States I have missed. Now I know WHERE in Washington I want to go!
It would be a delight to welcome you! (it might also be good if we could get you to make a presentation on hospitality/rural tourism/promotion to our Chamber and County Commission. Too much effort into the holy grail of the employer who will ride into town bringing family wage employment to replace the logging and fishing jobs largely lost decades ago, and not enough recognition of the micro businesses that are working with the existing natural assets in a successful way NOW. Hmmm was that a tad harsh?
Skamokawa said:
...it might also be good if we could get you to make a presentation on hospitality/rural tourism/promotion to our Chamber and County Commission. Too much effort into the holy grail of the employer who will ride into town bringing family wage employment to replace...
Same here!! Tourism is the 2nd largest industry in Arkansas, after farming, but our local government and Chamber of Commerce are only interested in trying to lure the factory jobs back, and everybody else here knows those are gone forever. They spend $30,000 here, $60,000 there to entice operations to come here and employ FIVE people, but will not spend ONE PENNY on advertising and promotion of our assets for tourism. DO NOT GET ME STARTED!
I am fortunate in that my State does recognize the value of tourism. About 10 years ago they had a budget shortfall and instead of taking "an egg", killed the golden goose of tourism funding. We had a matching grant program with small entities 50/50. The year prior, by investing $17 million of State money, there had been $34 million in advertising the State because each ad was required to have the State tourism logo in a specific size, shape,color in relationship to the size of the ad - branding! It was and is a reimbursement program.
The following year and the next, tourism revenues (and sales taxes) took a dive and the mistake was recognized and corrected. It came back but this time was a 75/25 program for campaigns of up to $10k (previous was 30/50 for up to $2500). The rules keep changing but the program is still there.

Joey Bloggs said:
Skamokawa said:
The general area that I live in gets 7 million visitors each year. Tourism is IT. My area is bigger than Cedar Point, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Football Hall of Fame- probably combined.

And our Dept of Tourism could use a LITTLE BIG bit of help getting a better/bigger word out.
I LOVE Michigan's tourism department. Their latest is Pure Michigan. It is a fantastic concept from start to finish. I love creative marketing programs.
Yes it is a shame as OH used to be one of the leaders in PR for tourism oh so many years ago. It has fallen by the wayside and need revitalized.

Joey Bloggs said:
A dear friend of mine is moving to Portland, Oregon in about a week. You're only about an hour and a half away. When I visit her, I'll put a stay with you on the list!! :)

Joey Bloggs said:
A dear friend of mine is moving to Portland, Oregon in about a week. You're only about an hour and a half away. When I visit her, I'll put a stay with you on the list!! :)
Sweet! I feel a gab-session coming on. Good time of year to stay indoors, in front of a fire and out of the rain. Hope your friend doesn't end up moving furniture during a downpour!

Joey Bloggs said:
Sweet! I feel a gab-session coming on. Good time of year to stay indoors, in front of a fire and out of the rain. Hope your friend doesn't end up moving furniture during a downpour!
She's going from a small house here to a very small apartment right in downtown Portland (she'll be able to walk to work), so she got rid of a lot of stuff. Everything in one small pod. It's a big step to go all the way across the country, but she's looking forward to the adventure!
I'll wait until she gets settled and aim for the Spring at the earliest maybe....

Back