Bad guests good guests - same room

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Just reminiscing, as we are doing some work to a room, and I recalled the night two years ago when the guest and his wife acted like we had put them in hell. We actually asked them to leave and go find a hotel. They were in their 50's and here for a granddaughter's high school graduation (and obv not welcome at the family home). They were the most disgusting guests I can remember (he was a DR btw). Just attitude alone, made them disgusting. Miserable sods.
People don't realize that the attitude they give us is reflected back on them, this was a situation where we could not go to sleep until they were gone...and the aura of negativity didn't infect the entire houseful of guests. We stayed up all night, sick afterward. Glad we asked them to leave, but sick nonetheless. And you know me by now, I give everyone the benefit of the doubt of being STEPFORD guests. Agitated from travel. From each other. From hunger. From dehydration.
We have to remember the good guests, when people take photos and love every minute - the same exact room.
~ATTITUDE REALLY IS EVERYTHING~

We remember the bad guests because LUCKILY, they are few and far between. Attitude does reflect. "Do unto others ...." because it does! Instinct maybe.

My DH always says if he remembers a guest it's usually because they've done something to wrong! :)

Last June we had guests who refused to stay and it was our most popular room (yes, I made them pay for both nights). I was able to re-rent the 2nd night and the new couple was so impressed and loved their room and stay. The first couple left a 1 star review and right above it, the 2nd couple left a 5 star review. Same room, a day apart.
Whenever I get those guests who feel like we're not up to their level, I google them and almost always they are doctors. I'm so glad they think so highly of themselves.

Joey Bloggs said:
We have to remember the good guests, when people take photos and love every minute - the same exact room.
We had people in last week who photographed everything. We have a wooden box of various types of tea bags on the side, nothing fancy just the one we bought from the tea bag suppliers, as I walked past the breakfast room they were photographing it. I went back to the kitchen and told DH, he said they photographed the breakfast tables, menus, all sorts of things. Strange!
I wondered if they were either serial ta reviewers or travel journalists, but I've heard nothing more.

Joey Bloggs said:
We had people in last week who photographed everything. We have a wooden box of various types of tea bags on the side, nothing fancy just the one we bought from the tea bag suppliers, as I walked past the breakfast room they were photographing it. I went back to the kitchen and told DH, he said they photographed the breakfast tables, menus, all sorts of things. Strange!
I wondered if they were either serial ta reviewers or travel journalists, but I've heard nothing more..
Highlands John said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I wondered if they were either serial ta reviewers or travel journalists, but I've heard nothing more.
or scrapbookers.
Sometimes people are just so delightful. I am so appreciative of those guests. This is why we do what we do. The whole reason I had a flash back as we are spending $ and hard work and a lot of time on this project. Thinking about the guests who hated that room and threw it in our faces, makes my stomach ache. So we DO THIS for the wonderful guests. 100%. The rest stay pay and go away...

We are nearly there, DH decided he will add the artwork to the walls by screwing in the frames like in hotels. He didn't win that one, btw. Bringing down the two seat settee and installing the tv, the only tv that didn't get the lightning strike, so it is not a new flatscreen. But it works, so its going back in.
I removed much of the Americana decor and rusticity, and having it more rustic elegance now. Hard to explain, but trust me when I say DUST COLLECTORS COLLECT DUST! All the granite-wear is coming out except for a few pieces.
Too bad I can add some nice potted plants to the new deck area, but wrong time of year, we'll get all that done in the Spring. :)

We are nearly there, DH decided he will add the artwork to the walls by screwing in the frames like in hotels. He didn't win that one, btw. Bringing down the two seat settee and installing the tv, the only tv that didn't get the lightning strike, so it is not a new flatscreen. But it works, so its going back in.
I removed much of the Americana decor and rusticity, and having it more rustic elegance now. Hard to explain, but trust me when I say DUST COLLECTORS COLLECT DUST! All the granite-wear is coming out except for a few pieces.
Too bad I can add some nice potted plants to the new deck area, but wrong time of year, we'll get all that done in the Spring. :).
Anxious for a look see :)

Too bad I can add some nice potted plants to the new deck area, but wrong time of year, we'll get all that done in the Spring. :).
Pictures, please!!!

Joey Bloggs said:
I wondered if they were either serial ta reviewers or travel journalists, but I've heard nothing more..
Our first guests were a couple. The lady took pictures of e v e r y t h i n g. Turned out she is a blogger who likes to write of her travels. This was the result.
(Beware - there be doilies)

Joey Bloggs said:
Our first guests were a couple. The lady took pictures of e v e r y t h i n g. Turned out she is a blogger who likes to write of her travels. This was the result.
Washington is already on my list - one of the 10 States I have missed. Now I know WHERE in Washington I want to go!

Joey Bloggs said:
Skamokawa said:
Great photos and article Kathleen!

Joey Bloggs said:
Skamokawa said:
Great photos and article Kathleen!

I like! And I can handle doilies in moderation ;-)

Joey Bloggs said:
Washington is already on my list - one of the 10 States I have missed. Now I know WHERE in Washington I want to go!
It would be a delight to welcome you! (it might also be good if we could get you to make a presentation on hospitality/rural tourism/promotion to our Chamber and County Commission. Too much effort into the holy grail of the employer who will ride into town bringing family wage employment to replace the logging and fishing jobs largely lost decades ago, and not enough recognition of the micro businesses that are working with the existing natural assets in a successful way NOW. Hmmm was that a tad harsh?

Joey Bloggs said:
thumbs_up.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
It would be a delight to welcome you! (it might also be good if we could get you to make a presentation on hospitality/rural tourism/promotion to our Chamber and County Commission. Too much effort into the holy grail of the employer who will ride into town bringing family wage employment to replace the logging and fishing jobs largely lost decades ago, and not enough recognition of the micro businesses that are working with the existing natural assets in a successful way NOW. Hmmm was that a tad harsh?
Skamokawa said:
...it might also be good if we could get you to make a presentation on hospitality/rural tourism/promotion to our Chamber and County Commission. Too much effort into the holy grail of the employer who will ride into town bringing family wage employment to replace...
Same here!! Tourism is the 2nd largest industry in Arkansas, after farming, but our local government and Chamber of Commerce are only interested in trying to lure the factory jobs back, and everybody else here knows those are gone forever. They spend $30,000 here, $60,000 there to entice operations to come here and employ FIVE people, but will not spend ONE PENNY on advertising and promotion of our assets for tourism. DO NOT GET ME STARTED!

Joey Bloggs said:
No, it is not harsh - it is the truth. I went to a Development Authority meeting Monday night (I am on the Board) and got to listen to all the "we need to" (things I HAVE been doing for years), rah-rahs for a promotion done (finally) by the shops along the main drag that was reffered to as business in Shinnston - that I am not included in because I am not retail and I am not ever talked about because I am not retail and I have been here for years slogging away. It was also stated that blogging is no longer the way to go (I bit my tongue because this young man in the banking industry thinks he is up on the latest, and he IS trying) that it is all Twit ter and FB now. Before him it was the old people yakking about how it "used to be - you could not walk down the sidewalk on Saturday night because it was so crowded". Yes, in the days before Mall, online shopping, and when going 10 miles to the "big city" was a major trip.
Two things started bringing my city back - the rail-trail and my B & B. I am not exaggerating to give the B & B credit - I had to market my B & B and i marketed the City when I did. The City saw the results and started marketing too. People came and where there are people, there will be business. The third thing was the irreplaceable training we got on how to revitalize - taking stock of assets that included the people in the town with skills etc. If you can get a few to go into it with you to market the area, others will take notice. I was supposed to be out of business before I started - and then they started noticing how many cars were in front of my house and how many out-of-state licenses (and where they were from) were on those cars.
Good luck.

Joey Bloggs said:
Skamokawa said:
...it might also be good if we could get you to make a presentation on hospitality/rural tourism/promotion to our Chamber and County Commission. Too much effort into the holy grail of the employer who will ride into town bringing family wage employment to replace...
Same here!! Tourism is the 2nd largest industry in Arkansas, after farming, but our local government and Chamber of Commerce are only interested in trying to lure the factory jobs back, and everybody else here knows those are gone forever. They spend $30,000 here, $60,000 there to entice operations to come here and employ FIVE people, but will not spend ONE PENNY on advertising and promotion of our assets for tourism. DO NOT GET ME STARTED!
Arkansawyer said:
Skamokawa said:
You are not alone. My state doesn't believe that tourism makes a dent in the economy. They can't hang their hats on a temporary workforce that consists of mostly menial jobs that don't sound good on TV. Plus, selling the beauty of the state requires regulations to keep pristine waterfronts/forests looking that way. And 'regulation' when it involves land development is a baaaad word.
I thought I would live here after we're done but I think I'm moving on.
Edited to add that, yes, I know a river caught fire here in the 70's and propelled the Clean Water Act's passage and that you still really shouldn't eat the fish out of the rivers downstream. But it doesn't smell any more and there's the problem...the smell-inducing jobs are now overseas where there are no regulations. And I better stop now...

Back