Bad Review - What would you do?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously? It's everyone's fault except the guy who didn't bother to research the menu of the place he wanted to try, didn't bother to make a reservation, and wasn't bright enough to switch game plans in the middle of what was obviously an evening that was going to end badly. People can see right through this stuff, IMHO, it doesn't even require a response.
I wonder what it's like to have such a dull life that one goes seeking drama like this at meal time? Sad.

I enjoyed reading the posts on this article, many diverse opinions there. I particularly thought the following info would benefit all of us, it was written by a fellow restaurant owner -
First, I think I have come to the realization that it is impossible to expect perfection in this or any business. Does that mean that we should not aim for perfection? Ofcourse not, ......
Being in business means falling down and picking ourselves back up, every day. As entrepreneurs we will make mistakes because we are stepping out and trying new things and hashing out new ideas that aren't tried and true. It comes with the territory, it's part and parcel with everything that we do, and we just have to learn to deal with it.
Unfortunately my restaurant has also been slammed once or twice, ... It's utterly and completely frustrating because the logged [over 3 years ago] complaints have long since been addressed and our team is actually better off having had to face the criticsm, deal with it, and move forward. But still, the posting remains, like a demon in my restaurant's past that will never ever go away.
The annoying part is that many people can't possibly understand or respect what it takes to run a a business and truly strive to impress each and every guest, customer, etc...

This is an inn that is closest to us. The women has run it for ever and is very well known. She recently got a review and I feel so sorry for her. She was unable to explain her position and I am not sure I understand but the review was horrible. tripa dvi sor hung ry po int inn.

This is an inn that is closest to us. The women has run it for ever and is very well known. She recently got a review and I feel so sorry for her. She was unable to explain her position and I am not sure I understand but the review was horrible. tripa dvi sor hung ry po int inn..
toddburme said:
This is an inn that is closest to us. The women has run it for ever and is very well known. She recently got a review and I feel so sorry for her. She was unable to explain her position and I am not sure I understand but the review was horrible. tripa dvi sor hung ry po int inn.
That is good food for fodder on the other thread about GC's. If it is purchased for CASH then it SHOULD BE ABLE TO BE USED AT ANY TIME, without black outs, as whatever the going rate is for the room, it can be applied to it!
So for those who sell GC's by room vs Dollar amount, that is something to think about!
(Thanks for sharing this! I will go and finish reading it now)
Edited to add: This is the reason policies need to be clear on website AND gift certificates, I know some people just PEN THEM IN and there is no verbiage on them for the guests. I do not undertsand why a cash value gc is not redeemable ANY TIME OF THE YEAR (other than say they want one night and there is a two night min)? Do you have any insight into this Todd?

This is an inn that is closest to us. The women has run it for ever and is very well known. She recently got a review and I feel so sorry for her. She was unable to explain her position and I am not sure I understand but the review was horrible. tripa dvi sor hung ry po int inn..
The guy had a point. Why, if he paid in advance, could he not come when he wanted? A donated GC is a completely different animal. Not having been privvy to the conversation, not arguing with someone because of their gender is odd.
However, the overall tone of the review was harsh in the extreme given the GC is usable for a good portion of the year. It sounds like a little tweaking is in order on the website to explain what was not clear at the start.
(BTW, I have refunded GC purchases when it was clear the purchaser had made a large error in judgement in buying it in the first place. I require that the GC is returned before refunding the money. It's just not worth having it hanging over my accounting head for eons.)

I fully agree she should have taken it. You have the money and the booking is way far out. Take it and go with it. In my opinion. Hopefully people will see the review does not have much to do with the innB&B experience as she does a great job from what I have seen.

I would not expect a FISH restaurant to have red meat. also refuse to wait an hour for a table - it is a busy night and there is no way I am going to get great service on a night that busy that I will have to wait an hour just for a table. Reading that review, I as a consumer am ready to smack the jerk up the side of the head with a menu and say, "DUH! FISH, not meat and could you not see it is filled? Go elsewhere." In the review he shows what he was after by waiting - a freebie. He also does not say WHEN he was there, early in the evening or within a couple hours of closing - only so much of anything is cooked or on-hand. Just another example of the ME attitude.
Alex C., we are sorry we were unable to provide you with red meat at our seafood restaurant. We do indeed hope you will return with a reservation so we can have your table ready when you wish to be seated. We feel it is a testament to our great food and good service that so many people chose to patronize our business that we ran out of availablitity to provide many of our delicious entrees that night.
That is how I would respond to that review.

Am i missing something? The review I read was about a fish restaurant - nothing about a B &B or a GC.
When I sell a GC it is good any time - PERIOD. It is a paid room. the ONLY problem might be availability or if it is a one-night on a 2-night minimum period. ONLY my DONATED certificates have black-out dates or expirations and those are clearly stated on the certificate.

Am i missing something? The review I read was about a fish restaurant - nothing about a B &B or a GC.
When I sell a GC it is good any time - PERIOD. It is a paid room. the ONLY problem might be availability or if it is a one-night on a 2-night minimum period. ONLY my DONATED certificates have black-out dates or expirations and those are clearly stated on the certificate..
gillumhouse, it's in reference to the response by toddburne in this thread about a bad review on ta for another place.

When I sell a GC it is good any time - PERIOD. It is a paid room. the ONLY problem might be availability or if it is a one-night on a 2-night minimum period. ONLY my DONATED certificates have black-out dates or expirations and those are clearly stated on the certificate..
gillumhouse said:
When I sell a GC it is good any time - PERIOD. It is a paid room. the ONLY problem might be availability or if it is a one-night on a 2-night minimum period. ONLY my DONATED certificates have black-out dates or expirations and those are clearly stated on the certificate.
See Todd's original post, there is a TA of an inn to review.
wink_smile.gif

toddburme said:
Todd, this represents poor judgement on the innkeepers part. Fully paid GC's should be valid any time of the year, as long as they meet all the other booking restrictions (min. stay, etc). She also should freely refund the purchaser's money, if requested by purchaser if they are not satisfied. What good would come of it by denying? Nothing! And now there is a negative mark out there of others to see.

toddburme said:
Todd, this represents poor judgement on the innkeepers part. Fully paid GC's should be valid any time of the year, as long as they meet all the other booking restrictions (min. stay, etc). She also should freely refund the purchaser's money, if requested by purchaser if they are not satisfied. What good would come of it by denying? Nothing! And now there is a negative mark out there of others to see.
copperhead said:
toddburme said:
And look what that one negative comment did to her rating: five-dot to three-dot, just like that.

I fully agree she should have taken it. You have the money and the booking is way far out. Take it and go with it. In my opinion. Hopefully people will see the review does not have much to do with the innB&B experience as she does a great job from what I have seen..
toddburme said:
I fully agree she should have taken it. You have the money and the booking is way far out. Take it and go with it. In my opinion. Hopefully people will see the review does not have much to do with the innB&B experience as she does a great job from what I have seen.
It doesn't matter if the booking is next year or this afternoon; a prepaid GC is as good as cash. Does she block out dates for credit-only customers? I'm thinking she blocked out dates where she was already fully-booked, or as booked as she wanted to be, and inserted a note that those dates would not be available as a heads-up to the guests. It's not that the dates were blocked for GC use, they were blocked because there is no more room at the inn, GC or not.

I fully agree she should have taken it. You have the money and the booking is way far out. Take it and go with it. In my opinion. Hopefully people will see the review does not have much to do with the innB&B experience as she does a great job from what I have seen..
toddburme said:
It doesn't matter if the booking is next year or this afternoon; a prepaid GC is as good as cash. Does she block out dates for credit-only customers? I'm thinking she blocked out dates where she was already fully-booked, or as booked as she wanted to be, and inserted a note that those dates would not be available as a heads-up to the guests. It's not that the dates were blocked for GC use, they were blocked because there is no more room at the inn, GC or not.
If she is fully booked then she need not block them out at all, it's not a block at all... it's just "no room at the inn". I accept GC from a number of different vendors.... some people come to the door and ask me if I will take them, I gladly accept them. Do I have a room available? That's a different story. And if you reply on T/A then simply state the truth, don't argue, don't embelish and call it a misunderstanding and it's done and over with. But blackout for a GC that's paid for... never.
It's like the phone call I got today.. what's your rate? Well, ma'am, it all depends on when. Tomorrow night. Tomorrow night isn't available. Doesn't matter the rate... if you don't have the room.

Back