Bad TA review as no discount was given

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flower

Reaction score
Where on TA do you find a location to report someone who has written a bad review because they did not get a discount for their room?
They did not find the room bad but were upset that the Hot Tub broke down the day of arrival. Tech could not fix while they were here as he needed to order a part & it takes a week to come.
Before they even saw their room, as no hot tub, they wanted a discount.

Methinks you will need to respond. No reason for Ta to take it down. Sorry this happened, but it did.

Thank you for your review and mentioning how comfortable our XXX room is. We strive to make our guests as comfortable as possible, so we are please to hear we are doing our job. We are sorry you were disappointed about the hot tub being out of commission. We love it, too, but there was no way for us to fix it that day.
(don't even mention the discount. Just highlight the good and somehow point out that their issue is stupid. Kill 'em with kindness.)

Although some here disagree, it is the industry best practice to reach out to the party and find any way to try and placate the bad reviewer and see if they are willing to remove or improve it in exchange for anything (apology, discussion, understanding their POV, etc.).
Responding to a bad review is far inferior to getting it changed to adequate or good... If you have only a few good ones, one bad review can do a lot of damage to a business, response or not.

I realize this doesn't answer your question ...
Do I understand correctly that the guests wanted a comp (discount) because they couldn't use the hot tub? And you declined to give one? I would have given one. Sorry they gave you a bad review.

I realize this doesn't answer your question ...
Do I understand correctly that the guests wanted a comp (discount) because they couldn't use the hot tub? And you declined to give one? I would have given one. Sorry they gave you a bad review..
Perzactly. Simple formula: Advertising something that becomes unavailable and not comping often leads to bad review. That is what happens in 2015. Asking for it to be removed does not work.
Save $50 at the potential cost of thousands. It is a nasty world out there. Penny wise and ... no longer works.

If they had threatened a bad review as part of their attempt to get you to give a discount, and you had recorded evidence of the blackmail, then you would have had to have reported the blackmail attempt prior to their having submitted the review in order for TA to attempt to catch it. After the fact is often too late.
But I agree with seashanty that if the availability of a hot tub is one of your advertized features, and that is an important factor in their decision to book with you, then some kind of compensation would be appropriate if the hot tub broke down and they couldn't use it as planned.

Although some here disagree, it is the industry best practice to reach out to the party and find any way to try and placate the bad reviewer and see if they are willing to remove or improve it in exchange for anything (apology, discussion, understanding their POV, etc.).
Responding to a bad review is far inferior to getting it changed to adequate or good... If you have only a few good ones, one bad review can do a lot of damage to a business, response or not..
undersea said:
Responding to a bad review is far inferior to getting it changed to adequate or good... If you have only a few good ones, one bad review can do a lot of damage to a business, response or not.
"industry best practice"? It may be A practice but IMHO not a best one. It gives these people even more fuel for the next time. No threats required. Post a negative review and they will come begging to give you money to take it down. Not on your life!

Too late to change things now, but I agree with others that say if you advertised a hot tub and it was broken, there should have been some discount to this couple. Many people choose places to stay for the amenities. Sounds like this was an important amenity for this couple and their stay while still enjoyable would have been even better if they had been able to use the hot tub.
I once booked a room just because of the fireplace. Turned out the fireplace was a fake one with a can of sterno you lit for the flames. I was incredibly disappointed and if TA had been around back in those days I would have given this place a negative. It was THAT amenity that I wanted to enjoy during my stay. It really can make a difference.

We have a hot tub and a pool, sometimes things happen. They all require maintenance that may or may not happen quickly! All hot tub repairs require having the parts shipped in. If the pool goes chemically unbalanced sometimes getting it back in balance can take 2-3 days depending on what is wrong. (we have had a crazy year with it this year)
If a guest were to come to me and tell me they stayed here only because we had the pool which was out of order, then I would offer them a discount or other offer of consideration.
I would not offer if they do not mention anything though! We have lots of people who book and plan to take a dip but never do.

I gave a discount early this year because our TV service wasn't set up yet.

Big deal..so the hot tub is out of order. I wouldn't give a discount for that. Unless they specifically said "we are coming just for your hot tub and intend to stay in all night...DUH...it is just an extra amenity...not something you actually charge them for use. Don't worry about it. Stuff happens...move on.

Thank you for your review and mentioning how comfortable our XXX room is. We strive to make our guests as comfortable as possible, so we are please to hear we are doing our job. We are sorry you were disappointed about the hot tub being out of commission. We love it, too, but there was no way for us to fix it that day.
(don't even mention the discount. Just highlight the good and somehow point out that their issue is stupid. Kill 'em with kindness.).
thank you all. The hot tub was working the day before. Just in the afternoon of the day they were coming we took a sample of the water and found out the tub was not on So we reset the breakers would shut it self off. Called the rep. He was gone for the day. So we phoned another place explained what the problem was. He came out and said it could not be fixed had to send for the part. that was at 330 pm. they were to arrive at 4. We explained what the problem was . She said oh I wanted to go in the hot tub .I am really sorry but it is out of our control. They stayed in the semi self cater suite.
Then that night we took down there fixings for breakfast with the rest to follow in the morning. On the menu she wrote. We heard about your gourmet breakfast.! Since we can't enjoy the hot tub Would you consider a tasty Breakfast treat? If not we've still made a selection Thanks!
So in the morning I sent them down strawberry soup. They had made there choice of cereal juice coffee 2 eggs each 4 slices of thick apple wood smoked bacon 4 slices of bread and jam and butter. then he said later the day they were leaving they had a great time. Loved the area . We asked them was there any thing we could of done to make your stay more enjoyable. He said no it was great.This is the first time I have stayed at a B&B it sure beats a hotel. I apologized again for the hot tub and told them we took it off our website till we can get all the parts in.
If it was some thing we did wrong I would of comp them , But this was out of our control. the parts are still not in .The cost to repair Is $1.200 . We are luck if 2 people have used it this year.

If they asked for a discount when they heard the hot tub was broken, I think I would have given $5 off (NOT a percentage) figuring $5 will not break me. Tis over, tis done, move on.

(don't even mention the discount. Just highlight the good and somehow point out that their issue is stupid. Kill 'em with kindness.).
thank you all. The hot tub was working the day before. Just in the afternoon of the day they were coming we took a sample of the water and found out the tub was not on So we reset the breakers would shut it self off. Called the rep. He was gone for the day. So we phoned another place explained what the problem was. He came out and said it could not be fixed had to send for the part. that was at 330 pm. they were to arrive at 4. We explained what the problem was . She said oh I wanted to go in the hot tub .I am really sorry but it is out of our control. They stayed in the semi self cater suite.
Then that night we took down there fixings for breakfast with the rest to follow in the morning. On the menu she wrote. We heard about your gourmet breakfast.! Since we can't enjoy the hot tub Would you consider a tasty Breakfast treat? If not we've still made a selection Thanks!
So in the morning I sent them down strawberry soup. They had made there choice of cereal juice coffee 2 eggs each 4 slices of thick apple wood smoked bacon 4 slices of bread and jam and butter. then he said later the day they were leaving they had a great time. Loved the area . We asked them was there any thing we could of done to make your stay more enjoyable. He said no it was great.This is the first time I have stayed at a B&B it sure beats a hotel. I apologized again for the hot tub and told them we took it off our website till we can get all the parts in.
If it was some thing we did wrong I would of comp them , But this was out of our control. the parts are still not in .The cost to repair Is $1.200 . We are luck if 2 people have used it this year.
You did the right thing. Lots of people say they will use the hot tub but do they?? A nice treat was good compensation.

So they never asked for a monetary discount?
But then they ding you in the review for not giving them one?
And you did supply the extra breakfast treat that they did ask for?
That's not fair (if that's the case)!
Your recourse is to respond to the review, acknowledging whatever good things they had to say, apologizing for the hot tub being out of order, but pointing out that it was a situation beyond your control.

So they never asked for a monetary discount?
But then they ding you in the review for not giving them one?
And you did supply the extra breakfast treat that they did ask for?
That's not fair (if that's the case)!
Your recourse is to respond to the review, acknowledging whatever good things they had to say, apologizing for the hot tub being out of order, but pointing out that it was a situation beyond your control.
yes I gave them a strawberry soup.as a treat. This is our lower price suite. Semi self catering. It has simple but wholesome 5 different breakfasts to choose from.

Too late to change things now, but I agree with others that say if you advertised a hot tub and it was broken, there should have been some discount to this couple. Many people choose places to stay for the amenities. Sounds like this was an important amenity for this couple and their stay while still enjoyable would have been even better if they had been able to use the hot tub.
I once booked a room just because of the fireplace. Turned out the fireplace was a fake one with a can of sterno you lit for the flames. I was incredibly disappointed and if TA had been around back in those days I would have given this place a negative. It was THAT amenity that I wanted to enjoy during my stay. It really can make a difference..
We had to have a plumber see to a toilet in a guest room a few weeks ago, just of course, as the guest was checking in. Although the repair was done within an hour, the guest got a discount (didn't ask, we just gave it)
Sometimes its just the right thing to do.

This kind of thing has happened a few times -- when we were not able to offer something a guest had a reason to expect. It doesn't matter if it is your "fault" or not. What matters is whether your hospitality fell short.
I don't recall being asked in advance for a discount, but at the end of the stay if I felt that the problem had at least a little impact on the guest, I'll take a bit off the final bill. They are usually surprised and say oh it was nothing, but I can tell they appreciate it as it makes them feel a bit more whole on the overall business transaction. If they asked, I'd give it to them ... $10 maybe $20. Agreed? Done. You don't want to prolong dissatisfaction.

This kind of thing has happened a few times -- when we were not able to offer something a guest had a reason to expect. It doesn't matter if it is your "fault" or not. What matters is whether your hospitality fell short.
I don't recall being asked in advance for a discount, but at the end of the stay if I felt that the problem had at least a little impact on the guest, I'll take a bit off the final bill. They are usually surprised and say oh it was nothing, but I can tell they appreciate it as it makes them feel a bit more whole on the overall business transaction. If they asked, I'd give it to them ... $10 maybe $20. Agreed? Done. You don't want to prolong dissatisfaction..
We've given $50 toward a next stay for guests who were rattled out of bed at 7 AM by construction NOT at our house. $30 cash when we had no power and could not cook breakfast.
No power is a tricky one. We have no control over the weather and what happens when it knocks the power out and we don't have the resources to buy a whole house generator. NONE of the hotels in town have generators. Not that what someone else does matters.
We've had guests demand a full refund for no power when they weren't inconvenienced at all. They had water, hot and cold, they had heat and they were asleep when the power went out. No good. Full refund. Or a free stay at another time.

Back