Bad weather coming our way

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
In a situation where you have guests for the weekend and you get snowed in, do you offer an extended stay at a lower rate? How do you handle this type of situation?

Everyone in the mid atlantic is facing this...you will probably be getting request for cancellations. The last time we had such a bad storm was on a Valentine /Pres. Day weekend several years ago. Our guest all made it out with their 4 wheel drives. But, if someone is going to be "stuck" with you for an extra time. I would really think it to be very guest friendly to offer them the extra night at some sort of discount...afterall it isn't their fault.

If guests are in house and snowed in, yes, we do offer a discounted rate for the additional nights. I look at it this way, chances are no one will be traveling to come IN in that weather so better to go with the ones you have and show them a little kindness. I'm not talking serious discounting, but an acknowledgement that they weren't expecting this.
Another option if you can get to the store is to put together a 'snowed in' basket of goodies for each guest room. And charge full price, but make it fun.
We've had that happen once. Both airports were closed on different days so the flights were canceled.

We have one lonely reservation for this weekend, and it was originally only for Saturday (we have lifted our two-night minimum through the end of the year). They called yesterday to ask if they could add tonight on, so they would arrive before the storm - I extended the reservation at about a 50% discount for the second night. Obviously you have to look at your own situation but it can be a nice gesture to discount any additional nights for snow-ins.

We have one lonely reservation for this weekend, and it was originally only for Saturday (we have lifted our two-night minimum through the end of the year). They called yesterday to ask if they could add tonight on, so they would arrive before the storm - I extended the reservation at about a 50% discount for the second night. Obviously you have to look at your own situation but it can be a nice gesture to discount any additional nights for snow-ins..
And what a smart way to keep the guest happy, reduce the likelihood that they'll get caught in the storm tomorrow, and add a wee bit of income at the same time!

I just saw on the news that they are going to measure the snow in feet instead of inches. We're getting that cold front too, but it's only going to make our low temps dip into the upper 40s which is bone-chilling cold for Miami. And we don't have heat!! A few weeks ago when we had a cold snap, lows in the 50s, I had 4 blankets on my bed and was still cold. I'll be heading to the hardware store tomorrow for some small ceramic space heaters. Be safe up there with all that snow.
Oh, and what we've got right now in front of that cold front....14" of rain today! Good thing is that we never flood...we just keep floating! :)

I just saw on the news that they are going to measure the snow in feet instead of inches. We're getting that cold front too, but it's only going to make our low temps dip into the upper 40s which is bone-chilling cold for Miami. And we don't have heat!! A few weeks ago when we had a cold snap, lows in the 50s, I had 4 blankets on my bed and was still cold. I'll be heading to the hardware store tomorrow for some small ceramic space heaters. Be safe up there with all that snow.
Oh, and what we've got right now in front of that cold front....14" of rain today! Good thing is that we never flood...we just keep floating! :).
We're getting the cold, but no snow. This AM it was 4 degrees. This afternoon the FedEx gal wanted to stand and chat with the door open. Sorry. Too dang cold for that!

We came up to the lodge just to see the snow. It is so beatuiful.
You know that could be a snow package .....book 2 nights and if you get snowed in half off the 3rd night. maybe add a dinner too! OMG and a bonfire! Just might have to go eagle watching in the morning.

Hopefully everyone will be safe in the storm! Post pictures of your snow, I would love to see them!!

Hopefully everyone will be safe in the storm! Post pictures of your snow, I would love to see them!!.
It would just be a blanket of white. I dug out a path for the mailman - so he would know where the steps were and not get hurt stepping in the wrong place. That was 30 minutes ago and it is already starting to fill again. Fortunately the mailman came right after I shoveled! I will probably walk to Chapel tonight. Easier than digging out the car to go 4 blocks! I am now doing the 11 PM to 12:30 AM shift and tonight will be ready to do more if the relief cannot get in. That is what we do here - rarely is a call made for a sub when someone does not show.

speaking of snow...and yes it is wearing the state parks logo on its hat
4249214324_410fc40986_b.jpg

OMG! It looks like a rabid animal - how did you get the hat on it or is that why it looks angry?! Here in MI we look like we are in a snow globe - very pretty if you are safe inside - which is where I plan to stay!

OMG! It looks like a rabid animal - how did you get the hat on it or is that why it looks angry?! Here in MI we look like we are in a snow globe - very pretty if you are safe inside - which is where I plan to stay!
PHOTOSHOP I suspect or else someone was really quick on the camera when the other person put it on his head. :)

Taxidermy?
Morticia said:
Taxidermy?
I believe so. Take a hard look. The eyes...taxidermy.

Back