Bagels Anyone?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
hi all.
i'm looking for a tried and true bagel recipe. does anyone make them at home?
i found a few really basic recipes online that call for malt powder ... that's not something i have ever bought ... and show you can substitute honey or brown sugar. but there i'd be sub'ing a liquid for a powder and this makes me hesitant because i don't like to start sub'ing things without even trying the original. must i buy malt powder? i started researching malt powder and read all good things about how it's the secret ingredient of bread bakers. so ..... maybe i need to get me some.
suggestions?
recipes? i'm really looking for a family recipe or one you've tried yourself and have made the bagels, please.

Yes I have and I have one. Will dig it out for you and post it. I actually know where it is!

hi kathleen,
have learned a few things since trying your recipe.
the yeast i just bought is hardly active. after the first batch did not rise, i did the proofing and it only foamed a little. still, i tried again since all were clamoring for bagels, but will buy more yeast from a different place. the expiration date is more than a year away ... go figure.
i am also going to buy some bread flour since i bought king arthur a/p flour and have read that bread flour is best
i am hunting for malt syrup ... may have to get it online since 4 stores didn't have it.
boiling before baking was fun!
the house smelled amazing even though my first bagels were a disappointment - someone said they taste 'bagel-ish' .... but they aren't there yet.

hi kathleen,
the yeast i just bought is hardly active. after the first batch did not rise, i did the proofing and it only foamed a little. still, i tried again since all were clamoring for bagels, but will buy more yeast from a different place. the expiration date is more than a year away ... go figure.
i am also going to buy some bread flour since i bought king arthur a/p flour and have read that bread flour is best
i am hunting for malt syrup ... may have to get it online since 4 stores didn't have it.
the house smelled amazing even though my first bagels were a disappointment - someone said they taste 'bagel-ish' .... but they aren't there yet..
If you have a bulk food store near you that has yeast - I used to take a plastic bag (doible wall it actually with another) and dump the yeast container when I bought it. Now I have Jimmy order 10 lbs at a time for me. If you can get it that was, use 1 Tablespoon of yeast for 1 packet called for.
They canceled the training class at City Hall tomorrow because of the snow but I was going to make mini-bagels for it. I will use my donut cutter to make them for size. It was fun making them.

hi kathleen,
the house smelled amazing even though my first bagels were a disappointment - someone said they taste 'bagel-ish' .... but they aren't there yet..
If you have a bulk food store near you that has yeast - I used to take a plastic bag (doible wall it actually with another) and dump the yeast container when I bought it. Now I have Jimmy order 10 lbs at a time for me. If you can get it that was, use 1 Tablespoon of yeast for 1 packet called for.
They canceled the training class at City Hall tomorrow because of the snow but I was going to make mini-bagels for it. I will use my donut cutter to make them for size. It was fun making them.
When I lived in Philadelphia I met a young man who worked his way through college as a bagel maker. In his bakery, the "egg bagels" just added yellow food color! The way they made the bagels round was by cutting the dough in strips and forming the donut shape and pressing the two ends together. Might be more efficient than trying to poke a hole in the middle of the dough.

ok. bought new yeast and bread flour ... but i couldn't get to whole foods yet ... they say they have malt syrup.
my bagels taste like bagels but they are wrinkly and too big. soooo, need to work on my technique and my rolling and shaping ... and not boil so hard ... but i am liking this!

ok. bought new yeast and bread flour ... but i couldn't get to whole foods yet ... they say they have malt syrup.
my bagels taste like bagels but they are wrinkly and too big. soooo, need to work on my technique and my rolling and shaping ... and not boil so hard ... but i am liking this!.
People who make bagels at home impress me!

i have been experimenting with the bagel baking.
one good but bad thing ... as soon as i make them, my 'housemates' devour them. literally.
as we all share here, i now have to bag up and hide some for me!
today i made cinnamon raisin and onion
the onion i think next time i will not put the carmelized onions on top until the bagels are just about done.
bagels%20012.JPG

these are the raisin cinnamon ... they aren't burnt, the cinnamon all through the dough makes them look dark.
bagels%20010.JPG

see, the onion bits got too cooked. 'someone' decided to help by sprinkling minced onion on them as they cooled. but that just falls off the cooked bagel.
still learning ...

one good but bad thing ... as soon as i make them, my 'housemates' devour them. literally.
the onion i think next time i will not put the carmelized onions on top until the bagels are just about done.
bagels%20012.JPG

these are the raisin cinnamon ... they aren't burnt, the cinnamon all through the dough makes them look dark.
bagels%20010.JPG

see, the onion bits got too cooked. 'someone' decided to help by sprinkling minced onion on them as they cooled. but that just falls off the cooked bagel.
still learning ....
Looking good!

bagels%20012.JPG

bagels%20010.JPG

still learning ....
They look great. I used chopped prunes instead of raisins because they are more moist (unless of course you remember to rehydrate the raisins). The donut cutter worked great for the mini-bagels. They were a good size for a "small" snack.
Another good one is pretzles - when I said I even knew where the recipe was - it was the pretzle recipe I was thinking of. Will post.

i soaked the raisins in hot water for a bit, then drained them. not a fan of prunes and i don't have them on hand. it's funny that you have to rehydrate the raisins. i've never made raisin bread ... do you need to rehydrate raisins for that? i never do when i put them in oatmeal cookies.

i soaked the raisins in hot water for a bit, then drained them. not a fan of prunes and i don't have them on hand. it's funny that you have to rehydrate the raisins. i've never made raisin bread ... do you need to rehydrate raisins for that? i never do when i put them in oatmeal cookies..
I usually do because I like them soft (remember I am old - we like soft food).

Back